Author Topic: Alloy of Law Excerpt (Updated with Ch3)  (Read 28938 times)

CabbyHat

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Allow of Law Excerpt 1
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2011, 09:45:13 PM »
The Devil with nails in their eyes? Inquisitor? Did Tan actually see one, or is he just crazy.

Marsh is still alive.

Considering that Ruin is no longer around to control Marsh, I wonder if Marsh has been sent mad from having ruin in his mind, and so many spikes in his body. Or maybe Marsh isn't that evil, but because of the spikes in his eyes, Tan just thought he was the Devil. Maybe in an attempt to divert our attention from the real villain...

I don't think it's unlikely that people who've heard stories about Inquisitors would be scared of Marsh before he ever did anything. That's one of the things I'm most looking forward to learning more about.
Just an idle comment. My comments are often idle. I can never get them to do any solid work.

Inkthinker

• Level 11
  • Animation and Illustration
    • View Profile
    • inkthinker.deviantart.com
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2011, 10:14:17 PM »
Sooo... are they actually taking this all the way to Chapter 6? That's a lot of story.

Adrienne

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2011, 04:02:16 AM »
hey will put up five more chapters before the release date, which means that the preview is going to be about a third of the book.

From the latest blog post  :)

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2011, 07:06:52 AM »
Sooo... are they actually taking this all the way to Chapter 6? That's a lot of story.
It is, but where else would you stop? Not after the prologue, or it looks like a Western. Could maybe stop after chapter 2, but then they can't hype it much. If you go beyond chapter 2, you can't stop until after 6. :)
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Inkthinker

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2011, 09:43:09 AM »
Nope, fair point. And there's a lot of awesome beyond that, so it's not like they're giving it all away. It's not quite a full third.

Plus, I think from 1-5 you get a nice sampling of just about everything-- characterizations, action, humor-- by the time the book hits the shelves, readers will definitely know if it's their kind of read or not.

I guess the serialization to release model isn't all that unusual when I think about it. Lucky bit of business for the fans.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 09:47:49 AM by Inkthinker »

Stormblessed

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2011, 09:58:44 AM »
It would well and truly ensnare anyone who had never read a Sanderson book, and just came across the excerpt.
"You've killed me. Bastards, you've killed me!
 -- Darkeyed Soldier

Squallor

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2011, 01:46:38 PM »
Marsh is still alive.

Has it been confirmed that Marsh is still alive? I know that Brandon said after HoA that Marsh has the same immortality trick as the LR, however, you need a fairly consistent supply of atium in order to keep it going unless I am mistaken. Didn't Brandon say also that there is no atium left until the geodes reform in a few hundred years?

Jason R. Peters

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2011, 02:35:27 PM »
Will a Kindle version of this and other previews be made available?

I realize I'm spoiled, but I do hate reading from a computer screen, and laser printer ink is triply precious to aspiring writers as to general consumers.

Adrienne

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2011, 03:28:11 PM »
I copied the words by highlighting them and right clicking and selecting copy. I then opened up a word document. I right clicked again and hit paste. I saved the document as an RTF.

I then opened Calibre http://calibre-ebook.com/. Then I dragged the document into the program. Then I hit convert book. It's normal option is to convert to .mobi which the kindle reads well.

I plugged my kindle into my computer and put the converted file on my kindle.

If it's ok with Peter I can send you that copy. I'll do it for myself for all the freebie chapters.

Jason R. Peters

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2011, 04:00:34 PM »
Thanks, Adrienne. If calibre is free, I don't mind doing this myself; I could also use MS word and email my Kindle address for a tiny fee too (but I'm very cheap, and I wasn't sure if this is some weird copyright violation if Tor didn't intend

I figured this question was also worth posting for the (potentially ignored) marketing opportunity. I can't speak for others, but often I browse kindle books and articles just for free content even if I've never heard of the author...it's far more convenient than driving out to the bookstore, and if I like a sample portion, I'll buy the whole kit'n'kaboodle. Obviously Brandon's other books are available for ereading (with samples available), so I just thought doing this with the previews would also be a nice touch. It's probably up to Tor rather than Brandon, though?

Adrienne

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2011, 04:22:17 PM »
For some reason I've had issues with converting .doc or .docx with calibre. I haven't looked into it much as I only received my kindle Wednesday night. Supposedly the kindle 3 will accept MOBI CBZ, CBR, CBC, CHM, EPUB, FB2, HTML, LIT, LRF, ODT, PDF, PRC, PDB, PML, RB, RTF, TCR, TXT. I tried some of my person documents that the kindle said they accepted but the formatting was wrong. The letters were tiny and things just looked odd. When you convert it standardizes things so they look great.

I wouldn't pay for the Amazon to send me anything. I just use the plug in my USB port. If you have a PC it will look like a normal USB drive when you open "my computer". From there you can just drop it into the document folder.

The last book I read was the hardback copy of TWoTK. The weight of it prompted me to look into the kindle.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 04:28:35 PM by Adrienne »

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2011, 10:07:20 PM »
I don't know if they have any plans to release the previews on Kindle, though eventually the book will have its own Kindle preview.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

luminos

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2011, 11:16:03 AM »
It is, but where else would you stop? Not after the prologue, or it looks like a Western.

It's a shame it's not a Western, because if the Prologue is any indication, Mr. Sanderson could write a killer of a Western.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2011, 07:09:22 PM »
The market for Westerns completely died in the 80s. It wouldn't be a particularly wise move. But still there are some quite Western aspects to this novel, one of the mid-to-late chapters in particular. It's pretty awesome.

Inkthinker

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2011, 12:36:11 AM »
The best westerns I've read recently were by Robert Parker, who is more famously known for his crime/detective novels (the Spenser series in particular). Sadly, since Parker passed away earlier this year, I expect they'll be the last westerns I read from him.

He wrote Appaloosa, which was made into a film starring Viggo Mortenson and Ed Harris... I liked the movie a great deal, and bought the novel to see if it matched up, and it turned out that the movie was pretty much a straight adaptation of the book. There's four more in the series, and they're all quite good, it was exactly the sort of western story I was looking for... much as I like my fantasy, Parker's westerns were character-driven, dirty, uncomplicated, and brutally violent. Kind of what Joe Abercrombie might do with a western. Not quite as bleak as Cormac McCarthy, but definitely not a high-fantasy type of western, either.

Alloy of Law is a nice blend. Brandon's not really doing  steampunk (cover notwithstanding), nor is it exactly a western or a straight fantasy novel... it's somewhere in-between all that, and it's unique, and I think people (especially Mistborn fans) will dig it.