Author Topic: Alloy of Law Excerpt (Updated with Ch3)  (Read 28842 times)

Adrienne

• Level 4
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Alloy of Law Excerpt (Updated with Ch3)
« on: June 15, 2011, 05:33:58 PM »
http://www.tor.com/stories/2011/06/the-alloy-of-law-excerpt

I'm reading now, can't wait for all 6 to come out!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 05:05:10 PM by Adrienne »

kari-no-sugata

• Level 3
    • View Profile
Re: Allow of Law Excerpt 1
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 06:08:23 PM »
Mmm-mm. Interesting. Gripping. Fascinating.

Good read.

Adrienne

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 06:34:12 PM »
Corrections needed:

koloss to Koloss
well tailored to well-tailored (I believe)
eyeblink to eye blink
witout to without
realy to really
firepit to fire pit
re-inforcing to reinforcing
adit to adrift (I think that's what he was going for there)
judg- ing to judging

I did giggle a little when I saw the liquid is now whiskey - at least for Wax. It was nice to see the history come into play when Tan mentioned the survivor. The foreshadowing from Sazed was there for this religion. Hopefully with 5 more excerpts planned and 5 more months to release we'll get a little taste regularly.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 06:44:30 PM »
adit, eyeblink, koloss, and well tailored are correct usages, and firepit is not a dictionary word but I'm calling it good. It has a 25% usage rate on an exclusionary Google search, which for me puts it into secondary usage status rather than typo.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 06:49:09 PM by Peter Ahlstrom »
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Adrienne

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 06:52:28 PM »
Isn't Koloss a type of "people"? Like American's are capitalized? 

When I placed the in word those were the misspellings that came up with automatically. Adit's a new one for me - thanks for pointing it out :)

Firepit always comes up as misspelled. I've been writing a friend back and forth about one I want and the bright red underline gets to me. Even when I pop it in google it' separates it.

I do see with Eyeblink some places accept it and others dont. Your judgement has always worked for me in the past! :)

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 07:08:52 PM »
My rule of thumb with these early book-nuggets is to avoid them.  I know there are lots of people that like to get content like this, but when I finally do get to read a book that I've already read excerpts of, I find that I get annoyed pretty easily.  So yeah.

That being said, I read the first little bit of this one, and it's pretty status quo Brandon.  The explanatory bits of the magic system were a minor annoyance for me.  Guess I don't want things explained and would just like to see them in action.  I get the whole "what-else-do-you-do-for-a-stand-alone-book-with-an-already-established-world/magic-system" bit, but still.  Will be interesting to see this one in full.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 07:31:08 PM »
Don't trust Word's dictionary. It accepts "prophesize" as a correct word, for pete's sake. Check m-w.com when you're checking spelling officially. That is the industry standard dictionary.

If you Google search for firepit -"fire pit" there are almost 8 million hits and searching for -firepit "fire pit" gives 26 million hits. Actual typos are at a less than 10% ratio, usually less than 1%.

I didn't know the word adit either but Brandon originally had shaft there, which is totally wrong.

We don't capitalize human or human being, so we don't capitalize koloss or kandra or elves or dwarves.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 07:33:12 PM by Peter Ahlstrom »
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Adrienne

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 07:59:43 PM »
I think it's a sign of good writing to toss in words people don't know or see often.

I guess I think of koloss as a type of people since they started human. I can see the point. That makes think of them more as another type of evil like Tolkien's orcs.

m-w.com accepts prophesize  :o

I'll keep that in mind if I pick anything out in the future. I care more about the content than if it's written to the highest standards of proper English.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2011, 08:29:44 PM »
only as a variant, and not as a main-entry variant either. Still, it makes me shiver.

zas678

• Level 7
  • Job Title: Hoid Desciption: RAFO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2011, 08:32:16 PM »
I guess I think of koloss as a type of people since they started human. I can see the point. That makes think of them more as another type of evil like Tolkien's orcs.

Except they aren't anymore (If I remember correctly from the HoA Q&A). They breed true now, without a need for Heamlurgical spikes from humans.
“It’s a fun tradition.”
“So was witch-burning,” Melody said.  “Unless you were the witch.”

CabbyHat

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2011, 08:49:57 PM »
This was really cool to see. I loved the tantalizing glimpses of what the world's become; especially how the events of the Mistborn trilogy have been worked into religion and folklore. I can't wait to see more of that kind of thing. This'll definitely help keep me going until the book comes out. :D
Just an idle comment. My comments are often idle. I can never get them to do any solid work.

Stormblessed

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2011, 12:29:58 AM »
I agree, having the names of our heroes as the names of the new noble houses, or cities was cool.

I'm assuming Harmony is Sazed ascended.

The Devil with nails in their eyes? Inquisitor? Did Tan actually see one, or is he just crazy.

And I love the clan of klossos bringing prosperity to the area. Have they changed from their bloodthirsty ways now that Ruin is no more?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 12:33:03 AM by Stormblessed »
"You've killed me. Bastards, you've killed me!
 -- Darkeyed Soldier

prehistoricman

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2011, 12:53:04 AM »
I'm assuming Harmony is Sazed ascended.

I think Brandon may have said this somewhere.

The Devil with nails in their eyes? Inquisitor? Did Tan actually see one, or is he just crazy.

Marsh is still alive.

Stormblessed

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2011, 01:05:52 AM »

Marsh is still alive.

Considering that Ruin is no longer around to control Marsh, I wonder if Marsh has been sent mad from having ruin in his mind, and so many spikes in his body. Or maybe Marsh isn't that evil, but because of the spikes in his eyes, Tan just thought he was the Devil. Maybe in an attempt to divert our attention from the real villain...
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 08:33:36 AM by Stormblessed »
"You've killed me. Bastards, you've killed me!
 -- Darkeyed Soldier

dhalagirl

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2011, 04:27:50 PM »
I loved the excerpt!  I can't wait for the rest!