Author Topic: Parallels in Mistborn? [Trilogy Spoilers]  (Read 2780 times)

Iriscal

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Parallels in Mistborn? [Trilogy Spoilers]
« on: June 13, 2011, 11:57:37 PM »
I'm gonna compare Mistborn to my favorite anime here, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who made these connections.
Anyone else think this series is structured a bit like Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann? Especially the first two books, but also the third.

First, I see parallels with the characters.
Kelsier :: Kamina
This one is easy to explain. Both die relatively early in the series and become mythical figures to their peers and followers. Both are bigmouthed, and this is a good thing. Both will continue to laugh and boast and postulate, no matter what kind of trouble they're in. But most importantly, their plans include doing the impossible, breaking the unbreakable, kicking reason to the curb and just DOING it.

Vin :: Simon (kinda, also a bit of Nia)
This is a bit harder, but it fits, too. Vin is Kelsier's protege, just as Simon was Kamina's, after a fashion. She ultimately is the driving force. the one who learns from her mentor (as Simon learns from his) to survive, to trust and believe, and to apply her (his) power to the situation.

Rashek :: The Spiral King
This was the easiest, as the parallel is almost perfect. The Lord Ruler is a tyrant, as is the Spiral King, but both are (were) actually protecting humanity, albeit in twisted ways, from harm and the ultimate end. Both conceived of sanctuaries for their people, hidden underground, so that they might survive the possible and probable future calamity. But for the most powerful similarity, see the Plot Elements below.

Ruin :: Anti-Spiral
This one doesn't actually have any basis in plot or plot devices. Whenever I read about Ruin taking form, I always envisioned the Anti-Spiral.

Spook :: Kittan
A second leader, after The Survivor (Kamina). Largely forgotten and ignored until the end, he invokes the same kind of mystical imagery that Kelsier did, obtaining a following. Though clearly just secondary characters, both gain the opportunity to clearly shine by displaying the power of their predecessors.

Sazed :: Rossiu
Discounting the final chapters of Hero of Ages, Sazed fits Rossiu to the letter during most of his appearances. He is faithful, but though he is logical and very intelligent, he loses sight of that faith due to a combination of significant events and his own faculty of reason. Both Sazed and Rossiu, however, regain that faith, the ability to trust in another, higher power to make things right.

Plot Points

Nice Job Breaking It, Hero.
Specifically, I'm talking about Vin's victory in the Lord Ruler's throne room. It almost precisely mirror's the Spiral King's defeat at the hands of Simon. The Spiral King, in oppressing his fellow humans, had kept them from incurring the wrath of the Anti-Spiral - or in the case of the Mistborn trilogy, empowering and, in the next book, being able to free Ruin - an altogether more powerful and shocking demonstration of this trope.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xhwa0rrFsc

The Storage Caches
Analogically, Arc-Gurren. A sanctuary for the people, a place of protection from the disasters and possibly the end of the world.

The Survivor's Death
Kamina's memory long survives his death and becomes a guiding beacon to his allies, friends, and even a few foes. This fits Kelsier's death exactly.

What do you think? Those who have seen/read both series, let me know what you think, or if I've left anything out. If you haven't seem Gurren Lagann, can you think of any other series you can relate to Mistborn?

Inkthinker

• Level 11
  • Animation and Illustration
    • View Profile
    • inkthinker.deviantart.com
Re: Parallels in Mistborn? [Trilogy Spoilers]
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 01:42:26 AM »
I noted the parallel between the Spiral King and TLR myself, but I think it's worth mentioning that Mistborn: The Final Empire was published in 2006, and Gurren Lagann first aired in 2007.

I'd also point out that both take place in a ruined, world where the population of mankind has been greatly reduced and is being ground under the heel of a tyrant, but one man stands up to represent Hope.

So unless the guys at Gainax are on Brandon's alpha list, I think we're seeing a pretty clear case of parallel convergence.  ;D

That being said, you're right in that they share several tropes. Fans of the Mistborn books might really dig Gurren Lagann, it's certainly one of my favorites if for no other reason than it's outrageous hot-blooded heart (WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK WE ARE?!?!). And if you can get Hulu or Funimation.com, you can watch the whole show for free (with ads).

« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 01:44:23 AM by Inkthinker »

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 07:31:42 AM »
I need to put it on my list. We have a long list already though, and don't watch much TV.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Inkthinker

• Level 11
  • Animation and Illustration
    • View Profile
    • inkthinker.deviantart.com
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 09:58:48 AM »
I'd say it's worth pushing up in the queue. Being a Gainax production., the animation is very good.

Hulu Link

(Apparently I was wrong about it being on funimation.com. On the upside, you can see The Castle of Cagliostro on Hulu now, how awesome is that!?)

Iriscal

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 12:59:47 PM »
I think it's worth mentioning that Mistborn: The Final Empire was published in 2006, and Gurren Lagann first aired in 2007.
I wasn't really implying what you seem to think I was. In fact, I think the parallels should be noted in spite of this, as they are worthy of note from a critical standpoint - and pretty damn neat if you ask me. Two writers on different sides of the world come up with so many of the same themes independantly at pretty much the same time? I think that's awesome.

One more trope I notice now, thinking back, is belief.
Early in TTGL, Simon is told to not believe in himself, but instead to "believe in me, who believes in you!" Though this changes a little bit in order to get some character development through, I think it remains a significant basis for the relationships between the main characters. And likewise, in Mistborn, many of the relationships between characters are built upon trust, or believing in each other.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 01:08:04 PM by Iriscal »

CabbyHat

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 08:54:41 PM »
You are definitely not the only person to notice this. I read Mistborn before watching TTGL, and all through the series I couldn't stop noticing cool parallels. I agree that it was probably mostly coincidental, but I think it adds a fun dimension to both stories. :)
Just an idle comment. My comments are often idle. I can never get them to do any solid work.