Author Topic: What are you watching?  (Read 6940 times)

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
What are you watching?
« on: June 07, 2011, 06:46:40 PM »
So, the book section has a topic where you can say what you are reading, and I thought maybe people would enjoy a section where you can mention what movies and television series you have just seen. If not, then this topic will die a slow, ignominious death, and I will feel the shame of my presumption.

I just watched Ran with my husband, and I thought it was very interesting. It's my second Akira Kurosawa movie, but this one was at the end of his career instead of the beginning.  I liked the use of color and the music.

For tv, I've been watching So You Think You Can Dance, which I like better than any of the other reality dancing shows because the people in this one can actually dance well.
If I had any clue, would I be here?

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Re: What are you watching?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 05:11:54 AM »
Last night we saw the season 2 finale of Babylon 5. I loved it the first time I saw it and it's still good. I remarked this time that the WWII parallels are entirely unsubtle.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 05:08:18 PM »
In the beginnings of an X-Files re-watch with my wife (middle of Season2 at the moment).  I love this show.  This show is the main inspiration behind the YA novel I'm writing.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

dhalagirl

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 02:47:34 AM »
For tv, I've been watching So You Think You Can Dance, which I like better than any of the other reality dancing shows because the people in this one can actually dance well.

I've been watching that too.  I'm going to be so pissed if Alex doesn't come back this season.  I need me some Wong.

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 07:30:22 PM »
I think the show's rules make it so he can't come back since he was already a finalist.

dhalagirl

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2011, 04:55:57 AM »
If I remember right they gave him the option of coming back.  They made the same exception for Billy the previous season.

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 09:29:35 PM »
I'm trying to catch up on the Community episodes that I missed last season.

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2011, 08:57:45 PM »
Has anyone seen The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya? I'm watching the second season with my husband, and we have almost made it through the Endless Eight.

ryos

• Level 17
  • The Decemberween Thnikkaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2011, 10:36:13 AM »
Been watching Battlestar Galactica. I'm about halfway through the series. I don't know how I managed to ignore this for so many years, and am indebted to my roommate that made me start.
Eerongal made off with my Fluffy Puff confections.

dhalagirl

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2011, 03:58:55 AM »
Been watching Battlestar Galactica. I'm about halfway through the series. I don't know how I managed to ignore this for so many years, and am indebted to my roommate that made me start.

The original series or the Sci-fi channel version?

ryos

• Level 17
  • The Decemberween Thnikkaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2011, 10:35:28 AM »

The original series or the Sci-fi channel version?

The latter. The original is also on Netflix, but I'm a little afraid to watch it. I don't want any 80's cornyness to tarnish the awesome.
Eerongal made off with my Fluffy Puff confections.

dhalagirl

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2011, 03:12:21 AM »
I actually prefer the old to the new.  The writers of the new version took out everything that I loved about the original and threw it out the window.  Yes, the special effects are corny, but it's still really good.  Besides, there's lots of hidden goodies in the story that you have to be pretty familiar with LDS theology to pick out.

Hero of Ages

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2011, 07:01:12 AM »
Burn Notice is back!!!  YAY!  Also I love So You Think You Can Dance. 
I must not fear;
Fear is the mind killer;
I will face my fear;
I will let it pass through me;
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing;
Only I will remain.
-Paul Muad'dib Atreides-

Anticipation of death is worse than death itself.
-Me-

MissGnomer

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2011, 01:24:10 AM »
I just introduced a friend to Firefly, so we are going through the whole season, even though I've seen them all a few dozen times already. I also just started watching NewsRadio (only 15 years after it came out!) and I think it's pretty funny, despite the fact that Andy Dick is in it. Other than that, I also watch random shows on Netflix and Hulu. Oh, and True Blood every Sunday.

guessingo

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2011, 06:37:51 PM »
Falling Skies: new alien invasion TV series. It is ok. Better than most. They are trying to make it gritty and edgy. However, the edginess is pretty light. You can only go so edgy on free TV. I do like how it takes place after an alien invasion which is a nice twist.

Survivors: There are only 12 episodes. It ran on the BBC for 2 years. Takes place after a disease wipes out almost everyone in Britain. It is edgy and done pretty well. There is no conclusion to it. It ends on a cliff hanger at the end of the 2nd season. You can get it off netflicks. They have it available for online streaming.

Game of Thrones was excellent. I read the book 11 years ago, but I think it was pretty close to the book.  This show si a hard R.

Alphas: Syfy channel. turned off the premiere after 40 minutes. It is terrible.

True Blood: Pretty descent fantasy show on HBO. I have no idea if its close to the actual books. This show is a hard R.