Author Topic: My mistborn mod map for starwars battlefront2  (Read 7058 times)

MetalcoreRancor

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
My mistborn mod map for starwars battlefront2
« on: May 18, 2011, 12:31:09 AM »
Ok, so if you follow Brandon on twitter you'll probably have noticed Ehudthekiller tweeting about a mod map. Well thats my twitter feed and this is my map.

I started this about 2 months ago now, after finishing the book series in a 2 week marathon and I had to get my creative outlet emptied.

Up  until this point I have not had the chance to share my map with a lot of people who actually know the series, as most of the star wars modding community was like "no Ive never heard of it". I myself do write fantasy, and making this mod map is my expression of writing Mistborn, in a sense that instead of allowing people to read a fanfic, they can play and live out their ideas of how it would be if you were in the Final Empire.

Not everything can be made, however. I would love to make an accurate building of Club's hideout, the Cantons, some Keeps. I would accept model donations if anyone wanted to contribute, but I won't be venturing into that detail, as the game is already stressing at the amount of structures I have loaded into the game.

Here are some screens and the link to my youtube trailer.

If you have any questions on the game, the mod, the modes, or anything at all, please post. I want feedback from fellow Mistborn enthusiastes :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1EcCmQhM98

^ temperary model of vin with older koloss sword models.

The Cracks slums

Kredik shaw.

further screens/videos at my WIP topic on the modding community forums for swbf2
http://www.gametoast.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=25964

Tasslehoof

• Level 5
    • View Profile
Re: My mistborn mod map for starwars battlefront2
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 05:33:01 AM »
This is really cool, I hang around these forums a lot, and I haven't seen many "video game" interpretations of Brandon's work.  I'm a huge fan of this, and I think it actually looks pretty accurate (obviously making a mod of a game doesn't give you the full detail you'd like, but you get what I mean).  I don't actually own SW:BF2 on the PC, I think I have it lying around for the original XBOX.  Sorry I can't try it out, but keep up the work!
Now why'd you have to go and push that button?!

- Famous Words of Doom.

Inkthinker

• Level 11
  • Animation and Illustration
    • View Profile
    • inkthinker.deviantart.com
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 10:27:56 AM »
That's pretty cool. Koloss swords could be bigger... really, they're an opportunity to be like, Final Fantasy big.

Of course they don't have to be interpreted that way. But a full-grown koloss is about 10-12 feet tall and they're swords are large even to them, I would say a 7-8 foot sword length is entirely reasonable. Those appear to be about 5 ft, which is extra large for human scale but a toothpick to something that more or less looks like a deep-dark-blue version of The Incredible Hulk with the skin splitting around the muscles.

MetalcoreRancor

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 10:30:32 AM »
Believe me, Inkthinker. I've had them big and will be resizing them. I take a lot of insperation from your Deviantart Koloss design ;)

But it's a balance between sizing them with Vin's size when I have her out, as she wields two of them. Please, keep the feedback coming. More updates will be given, I have lamp posts out, a new reticule HUD display and more animations for my archer coming soon.

Inkthinker

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 11:04:59 AM »
Oh, ugh... I really need to take that down. It's not as good as the designs I've produced more recently for Crafty Games.

For one thing, the sword is way too small. :)

MetalcoreRancor

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 11:49:25 AM »
I also hope to work on the gammorean guard model so it is more koloss like and less pig like, but its a good placeholder for now. It will be larger then the other units but not 12 feet tall.

CabbyHat

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 10:48:31 PM »
Oh, ugh... I really need to take that down. It's not as good as the designs I've produced more recently for Crafty Games.

For one thing, the sword is way too small. :)

I think we can all guess what's on Ink's mind. :P
Just an idle comment. My comments are often idle. I can never get them to do any solid work.

Inkthinker

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011, 11:05:07 PM »
*sigh*... sooo many jokes for that. But Brandon's an all-ages kinda writer, so I treat his boards as an all-ages environment.

CabbyHat

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 12:08:31 AM »
Haha, sorry, I didn't mean it like that. Mostly just affectionately mocking the fantasy artist tendency to have BIGGER WEAPONS ALL THE TIME
Just an idle comment. My comments are often idle. I can never get them to do any solid work.

MetalcoreRancor

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2011, 10:31:56 AM »

Does this look like an accurate representation of the Lord Ruler? Be honest. There really is no art on this guy so I had to go with the description in The Final Empire.

(I don't intend on the Lord Ruler being available for normal play but that may change. Currently he will be a boss in the Atium Duel mode, where you have to survive for a certain amount of time inside Kredik Shaw against waves of Steel Ministry units who are slowed down, and 9 Inquisitors who are "burning atium" meaning they move at same speed as you. You'll be ducking and dodging arrows from the slower guys while dealing with the inquisitors until Lord Ruler arrives and you have to choose between attempting to kill him and surviving until the timer runs out. )
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 10:57:44 AM by MetalcoreRancor »

Inkthinker

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2011, 02:21:40 AM »
You really gotta render that over something other than black.

Aside from that, I think you could do more with the description. I had interpreted his coat as being pure white (kinda like what Elend wears, only more exaggereated), with the pure black vest and trousers underneath it.

From page 571 of my paperback edition:

He was dressed in a black and white uniform somewhat like a nobleman's suit, but far more exaggerated. The coat reached all the way to his feet, and trailed behind him as he walked. His vest wasn't colored, but pure black, though it was accented with brilliant white markings. [...] his fingers glittered with rings, the symbols of his power.
     I'm so much stronger than you, the rings proclaimed, that it doesn't matter if I wear metal[/i]

Of course, we know now that they're also Feruchemical batteries

Handsome, with jet-black hair and pale skin, the Lord Ruler was tall, thin, and confident. And he was young- younger than Vin would have expected, even younger than Kelsier.

For some reason I can't quite find a backup for just now, I also interpreted his hair as long.

MetalcoreRancor

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2011, 06:37:12 PM »
I wanted to give him white vest black shirt but didn't find it in the book. I can't give long hair easily to units in swbf2.. at all.

Inkthinker

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2011, 08:29:20 PM »
nono, long hair on 3D models can be a nightmare, I know.

The vest is stated black, so we're stuck there, but "brilliant white markings" leaves a lot of room for interpretation, and the entire ensemble being described as " a black and white uniform somewhat like a nobleman's suit" also gives us some room to play.

Of course, you can reasonably redesign his outfit to match anything you like (so long as you're staying within the established parameters of the various descriptions... for instance, other styles of suit would make sense. A toga probably wouldn't), but if you're looking to make the character as close to "canon" as you can, it helps to stick with the stated design markers.

MetalcoreRancor

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2011, 11:29:33 PM »
I completely agree, and will be continueing to improve the skin as the mod continues, thanks for the advice.

I'd like to also state that after a semi-successful alpha testing, I have gotten feedback and redesigned a large portion of Luthadel, and have more space now to add even more new structures. The land bridge across the River Channerelle has been replaced by a wooden bridge, and several streets are now winding pathways that aren't straight, quite like a lot of art designs Ive seen for Luthadel. I'm still working out adding windows the buildings.. my first attempt tripled the amount of vertices on a model and made the walls invisible, so it's a bit frustrating work. The HUD is really coming along nicely, and as soon as I get the Vin model with mistborn cape completed, I will be providing more videos.

MetalcoreRancor

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2011, 09:38:07 AM »
Sorry for double post but posting some content videos

Showing off the Bow and arrow, skaa Rebellion archer

Koloss unit (temperary model not finalized)

Some Mistborn leaping and allomancy with Vin (temperary model not finalized)

Earlier footage taken of the jump off of Kredik Shaw.
Hud display is older in this

Please give comments.. good or bad.