Author Topic: Mistborn Annotations in one big file  (Read 7063 times)

Asri

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Mistborn Annotations in one big file
« on: May 09, 2011, 11:24:25 PM »
Has anyone compiled the Mistborn annotations into one big file that I can transfer to my Kindle?  I'd like to be able to flip back and forth between the annotations and the books on the Kindle as I (re)read each chapter.
I know I can copy and paste each one from the website myself, but I don't want to go through all that work if someone has done it already.
I seem to recall a blog post about this a long time ago, but my memory is fuzzy.
If nobody has this, I'll probably do it myself and share.
Thanks a bunch!!

~Heather

Argent

• Level 5
  • Lord
    • View Profile
    • Wowhead
Re: Mistborn Annotations in one big file
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 07:25:02 PM »
Haven't seen anything like that, but I am considering making one now that you mentioned it. No promises, but if I find myself with too much free time on my hands...
Power doesn't always have to corrupt. In many ways, it can change a man for the better.

Asri

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 07:42:00 PM »
Thanks, but I've already started it.  :)  I'm almost finished the first book.  I'm even learning about Kindle formatting and putting in page breaks, table of contents, etc.  So at least I'm learning something! (just don't tell my boss that's what I'm doing at work ;))

hubay

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 07:43:54 PM »
Hm, good idea. I feel like Tor should try and make an 'annotated' ebook that combines the novel with the notes and allows you to read each one as you finish the respective chapter, or else just set as them as footnotes like you'd get in bound book.

Knowing absolutely nothing about ebooks, I have no idea how well this would work or how hard it would be to set up. Peter, do you know if anyone's has suggested something like this? I'd buy it, at least.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 09:26:56 PM »
Tor.com made an Annotated Warbreaker ebook over a year ago but hasn't released it yet.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Asri

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 10:12:00 PM »
OK guys, I just sent the first version of the file to my Kindle and I'm so excited!  I still have a little bit of clean-up to do, but it came out great!  I even have the spoilers set up as footnotes that link to a different page.

I don't wanna get in copyright trouble or anything, so when I'm done, I'll send the source file to Peter to do with as they please.

If anyone has a Kindle and messages me with your @free.kindle.com email address, I'll send the Mistborn 1 annotations to you and it'll automatically be downloaded next time you connect to wireless.  You can find your email address on the second page of the Kindle settings screen.

I don't know how this will work on other e-readers, but I have a Kobo also, so I'll test it on there too when I get a chance.

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 11:01:25 PM »
OK, so I've been avoiding getting an e-reader.  For a long time, they were much more trouble than they were worth.

They've been adding functionality you just can't get from a book, haven't they?  Aagh!
Nature hates being reified.

Asri

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 12:44:54 AM »
I was worried at first about giving up paper books, but I absolutely love my e-reader.  After reading The Way of Kings in hardback, I got so aggravated with how awkward that giant book was in my small hands, that I finally broke down and bought an e-reader.
I didn't want to buy any e-books that I already owned a paper version of, but I got the urge to re-read Mistborn, so I bought the trilogy on the Kindle.
If you love to read, pamper yourself and get one!

Inkthinker

• Level 11
  • Animation and Illustration
    • View Profile
    • inkthinker.deviantart.com
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 09:44:13 AM »
Virtual environments allow for new rules on what can and cannot be done, and how easily.

I made the switch to digital drawing about 5 years ago, and I still can't believe some of the stuff I can do now. Undo alone is a trick that would have made any professional illustrator 20 years ago crap his drawers. Layering adds an outrageous amount of control. Texturing is a whole new art form, it bears practically no relation to what that term would have meant before digital painting became mainstream.

It's no surprise that the same thing is happening with digital reading. Thanks mostly to the internet, the factors are finally in alignment; sufficient saturation of content (the Net) + familiarity with the format (because everyone's gotten used to reading on a screen thanks to the Net) + affordable, effective platforms (kindles, nooks, smartphones, touchpads). It's been projected for decades, but it couldn't work until those factors aligned, and now it's finally happening.

The ability to conduct keyword searches alone places the digital text file over the physical book in terms of practicality. Not to mention that you can just about hold the entire Library of Congress in your back pocket (and that qualifier won't be necessary in another five years).

Physicality will hold more value. Quality of content will probably lessen overall, but when it's good it will likely be very, very good... it'll need to be, in order to survive. It'll cost more to own a real book, but maybe less to own a virtual one.

I'm still waiting for someone to start offering a free e-book with the purchase of a real one. Or at least a discount 2-pack.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 09:48:22 AM by Inkthinker »

Asri

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2011, 06:24:32 PM »
Mistborn 1 & 2 are done.  Here is the link. http://cid-5bccb4efe328c359.office.live.com/browse.aspx/Brandon%20Sanderson%20Annotations
Other annotations will be added here as they're completed.
If you have a Kindle, just send the .html file to your @free.kindle.com email address as an attachment.

RickCo

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2011, 04:46:44 AM »
I had to create an account on TWG just to say thank you for doing this.  Absolutely awesome.  Can't wait to get put it on my Kindle.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2011, 05:12:54 AM »
I've compiled the Hero of Ages annotations as well as the Warbreaker annotations. They are just in Google docs, so you should be able to download them and put them in whatever format you like.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.