Author Topic: Dollhouse  (Read 26512 times)

Renoard

• Level 20
  • Fell Points: 0
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
Re: Dollhouse
« Reply #90 on: December 09, 2009, 11:18:14 PM »
I have to totally disagree. Glau is an amazing actress. She conveys emotional sublties that most actors and actresses would need a line to explain. Also, every character she plays is a truly unique person. She doesn't just play Glau as a robot or Glau as a psychotic half Reaver. As a great actor should she becomes River, or the terminator, or the psychotic scientist.

At any rate the cast is great and the stories are compelling and it's a mistake to cancel Dollhouse.
You can always get what you want if you never count the cost.

mtlhddoc2

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 10, 2009, 05:14:10 PM »
Ren: are we watching the same actress? You are talking about summer Glau right? The skinnier, black haired version of Jennifer Garner.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 10, 2009, 06:44:52 PM »
I wouldn't go that far.  I think Glau can be good, but they force her into emotionless roles.  She was quite good in The 4400.  She had a decent role in The Unit as well.  She isn't near as bad as Garner.

As for canceling Dollhouse, I don't like that it is being canceled, but with only half the episodes being worth a damn, I can see why they are doing it.  It seems like it took the announcement of the show getting canceled for it to start going anywhere.  I also think that it's time-slot is poor, and that is leading to a false perception of poor viewership.  Am I sad Dollhouse is being canceled? Kinda.  More like I am upset that these types of shows have such short life-spans.  Terminator, Dollhouse, Firefly, Fringe (in danger of being canceled), 4400, Kings (alternate reality) etc.  All this does is set a precedent that all SF shows are poor.   Some of them may be, but not all of them.  Instead, they will make a cheap "reality" TV show because they are worried about the public's perception of SF shows or original IPs.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

mtlhddoc2

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 10, 2009, 08:03:10 PM »
oh my, BSG, I absolutely HATED her charachter in 4400. She may not be as bad as Garner's 2 emotion acting, but she is rather close. But then again, she isn't nearly as bad as Kristanna Loken.

Pink Bunkadoo

• Level 7
  • Ookla's sister
    • View Profile
    • Helena's webpage
« Reply #94 on: December 20, 2009, 09:32:41 PM »
Isn't Enver Gjokaj amazing?  It was so fun watching him as Topher.
~금강산도 식후경~

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 22, 2009, 05:49:52 PM »
Hurray, this season is finally moving. Just in time to get canceled.
If I had any clue, would I be here?

DragonFly

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 22, 2009, 05:53:32 PM »
The way I understand it is that's why it's moving--after it was announced that the series was canceled, the producers promised they would "finish" the story satisfactorily.  It's become much more interesting since then
Work is like fertilizer in that I'm very glad it exists--I just don't ever want to get stuck in it
(Lightsong in Warbreaker)

Dark_Prophecy

• Level 4
  • Sweep Sweep Sweep, all day long!
    • View Profile
    • The Intelli-Gent Reviews
« Reply #97 on: December 27, 2009, 01:28:13 PM »
The way I understand it is that's why it's moving--after it was announced that the series was canceled, the producers promised they would "finish" the story satisfactorily.  It's become much more interesting since then

Yup, it's the best it's ever been. Almost makes me wish they hadn't cancelled it. Oh well, cool concept that just couldn't make it over the hump. That's pretty much the story of almost every cancelled show, isn't it?
I like basketball, hanging out with my friends, reading, slamming a garbage can into a pimp or two with magical heavenly powers. You know, teenager stuff.

Jexral

• Level 4
    • View Profile
    • My Blog!
« Reply #98 on: December 31, 2009, 07:47:24 AM »
Watching it, I can tell what has happened.  They have taken what would have been season long arcs, and crammed them into two episodes so they can finish the story.  While I am glad that they did, and that we get to finish the story, I wish they hadn't had to.  :(

Why does fox cancel it's best shows?  Firefly, Dollhouse, Wonderfalls, Arrested Development, The Riches (On FX)... <sigh>  I guess they didn't make them as much money, but they were so wonderful. 
Truth is treason in the empire of lies.

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #99 on: January 15, 2010, 08:55:26 AM »
I just cruised through both seasons in about 3 days. And I am amazed at how awesome it is. I have loved every single episode, some a lot more than others, but all have entertained me. And now I can't wait to find out how it ends. I suppose after tomorrow's episode I'll have to go back and watch Epitaph One (which I actually watched last night, but it was awesome and I've watched about 10 episodes since then, so it'll be nice to refresh...I guess), just to keep up for the end of the series. It's so sad that it'll done in just over a week. It's one of the best tv shows I've ever watched.
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Johnhomas

• Level 1
    • View Profile
    • Burn Rx
« Reply #100 on: May 21, 2011, 11:52:10 AM »
 I Realy Like This Show. The company behind the doll houses in the show is Rossum. This is almost certainly a nod to Karel Capek's play R.U.R. (Rossum's Universal Robots). The play deals with artificial people, programmed to do work who eventually turn on their masters. This play also introduced the word Robot into the English language.