Author Topic: Something I just realized... (WOT)  (Read 3073 times)

anthonypeers

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Something I just realized... (WOT)
« on: April 14, 2011, 06:51:27 PM »
Brandon's on the record as saying that he doesn't like having truly evil characters, and just about all the villains in the Cosmere tend to be sympathetic in some way.

It would be difficult to argue, from just about any philosophical perspective, that Padan Fain is not capital-E Evil.

I don't believe I've seen Fain since Brandon took over.

Hmm...

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
Re: Something I just realized... (WOT)
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 07:06:30 PM »
Brandon's on the record as saying that he doesn't like having truly evil characters, and just about all the villains in the Cosmere tend to be sympathetic in some way.

It would be difficult to argue, from just about any philosophical perspective, that Padan Fain is not capital-E Evil.

I don't believe I've seen Fain since Brandon took over.

Hmm...

I don't think we've seen fain since winter's heart (book 9). I know slayer was supposed to hunt and kill him, but i dont think we've heard anymore about that since then. I'm guessing fain is up to something, and we're about to find out what in the last one.
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

douglas

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 07:26:29 PM »
Fain has appeared in Brandon's WoT books.  He's up in the Blight, killing Myrdraal and making Mashadar-Zombie Trollocs while walking towards where he thinks the Last Battle will be.

anthonypeers

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 07:27:59 PM »
Fain has appeared in Brandon's WoT books.  He's up in the Blight, killing Myrdraal and making Mashadar-Zombie Trollocs while walking towards where he thinks the Last Battle will be.

...now that you mention it, yeah, I think I vaguely remember that. Where's that part at?

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 07:33:43 PM »

You're right. I forgot about that. It's a short blurb in the prologue of towers of midnight.
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

Tasslehoof

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 01:40:29 AM »
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure he appears in addition to the ToM Prologue. 

*Possible Spoiler?*
I remember reading somewhere that there was speculation that Rand might try (or accidently) lock Fain into the Dark One's prison when he seals him away.  Maybe Rand thought about doing this in one of his PoV chapters, or maybe I read it online somewhere.  But I definitely remember seeing that it might be a solution to keeping the Dark One locked away.
Now why'd you have to go and push that button?!

- Famous Words of Doom.