EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
LTUE
« on: February 07, 2004, 05:26:01 AM »
So, I told the LTUE (BYU's SF con) that I was willing to be on a couple of panels this year.  I just got the email, and they put me on EIGHT.  If you don't know what that means, it means I'll be up there talking for eight hours.

Man.  How desperate must they be for panelists if they're that keen on using the guy whose book won't even come out for over a year?

Another note of interest--I'm on a panel with Scott Parkin.  He's the guy whose job I kind of filched at BYU, teaching the creative writing class.  (I was a grad student, he was not.  I had a book deal, he did not.  I applied for the job he'd been teaching, and they hired me instead.)

I don't even know if Scott was interested in teaching the class again (he'd done it for two years, I think.)  However, I hope he's not sore.  I heard rumblings that they didn't like having someone without an advanced degree teaching classes, and so I stepped in and applied to teach the class for fear that they would just cancel it.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

stacer

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
Re: LTUE
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2004, 09:38:16 AM »
Well, I'd rather they had you than that woman who wrote erotica that was at the last one I was at. That was pretty odd, having her at a BYU-sponsored function. If it were sponsored by any other institution, I wouldn't have thought twice about it, but as it is...

I'm curious if the LTUE staff have ever considered talking to children's SF/F authors. I don't remember ever having seen one at it, though granted I've only been to one and paid attention to a few others. If they're scraping the bottom, they might find they can bring in new life with a couple of children's authors like Karen Farmer or M.T. Anderson or Francine Prose or Lois Lowry. You guys would LOVE M.T. Anderson, who wrote Feed, which just won a bunch of awards last year. He's a hilarious speaker. He lives in Boston, though.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2004, 09:41:38 AM by norroway »
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2004, 09:44:56 AM »
They have the budget to fly people around, I think.  I seriously doubt some of the authors they've come out were here on their own.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2004, 10:53:03 AM »
and hey, I've presented and been on a panel. How cool am I? Scraping the bottom of the barrel indeed. :D

anyway, yeah, they do sometimes have some pretty lame stuff for an academic symposium

Brenna

• Level 14
  • Hey! Where'd the world go?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2004, 01:09:06 PM »
They had Patricia C. Wrede here last year--which was really cool.  She's one of my favorites from when I was younger.  She writes the "Dealing with Dragons" books.  

I read "Feed" for my YA lit creative writing class last year.  I thought it was an interesting book, and a pretty good read, but not spectacular.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2004, 01:24:41 PM »
Since I was in Scott's class, I'm not sure if he wanted to teach it again.  We got yelled at twice for not talking enough in class, and I got the impression that it wasn't the most fulfilling thing he'd ever done.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2004, 01:31:47 PM »
And by the by, when is LTUE this year?

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2004, 02:16:02 PM »
They had Patricia C. Wrede here last year--which was really cool.  She's one of my favorites from when I was younger.  She writes the "Dealing with Dragons" books.  

I read "Feed" for my YA lit creative writing class last year.  I thought it was an interesting book, and a pretty good read, but not spectacular.

That's cool about Patricia C. Wrede. I've been listening to the 2nd and 3rd books in that series on tape.

I didn't really like Feed, because it rehashes a lot of the same issues YA lit is always dealing with, but M.T. Anderson is a pretty good writer (I've read some of his picture books, too) and like I said, he's a hilarious speaker. His acceptance speech for the Boston Globe/Horn Book award this year was laugh-out-loud funny. It was this strange diatribe about how humans will die out and will be replaced by giant cockroaches, mandibles clacking and their little feet clacking on the marble halls of our libraries, centuries from now--but in such a funny way, if that makes any sense. I wish I could find a copy of it, but since he didn't win the award (he had an honor book) it won't be printed in the Horn Book, I don't think.

Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2004, 04:14:09 PM »
Your college has a con!?!?!

I wish mine had.  Well, we had one my first year there that was put on by the Gaming Club (which later became the anime club...grumble), but it was nothing more than a chance to have the people of the club run you through their favorite games.  Great for dabbling in other systems, but little else.

Wish we'd had cool panels and speakers...

Brenna

• Level 14
  • Hey! Where'd the world go?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2004, 04:31:23 PM »
LTUE is from February 19- February 21

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2004, 06:33:26 PM »
it's supposed to be an academic symposium: an opportunity to present papers and discuss academic subjects. BYU wouldn't allow a con. However, it has sort of a weak con feeling most of the time.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2004, 07:23:36 PM »
Heh.  Recently it's been far more of a con than a symposium.  In fact, looking over the program, I'm having difficulty distinguishing it from World Fantasy (except, of course, in the quality of the guests and panelists.)

That's not a bad thing, I suppose--World Fantasy is rather professional/academic style con, but it's still a con.  There are panels instead of papers.

Fuzzy:  That's nice to know about Scott.  Makes me feel a bit less guilty.  But, how could he not enjoy teaching the class?  It's awesome.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2004, 11:35:10 PM »
well they did have Sara meshell Geller (you know Buffy) offer to come to the con that one year, and they turned her down.  True LTUE was going on during the olymipcs when it was out here and her old request was that they get her a hotel.  But comeone, haveing her there would have solidifed LTUE as a nerd bastion they've been trying to get for years.  They even have cosplay there (true is all shakspearain).
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2004, 11:55:03 PM »
All the girls dressed up with fairy wings last year, and the one dressed as Leia were REALLY Shakespearean.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2004, 11:55:28 PM by fuzzyoctopus »

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2004, 11:55:32 PM »
not all the cosplay is shakespearian. I've seen some elves and Jedi before. Unless shakespeare wrote a play I haven't read that featured Legolas Skywalker taking on Darth Sauron.