Author Topic: What is a good role playing game to play?  (Read 4930 times)

Gennadiysmith

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Lifecell Wrinkle Cream best for Your skin
What is a good role playing game to play?
« on: April 05, 2011, 07:51:53 AM »
I have a PC and a ps3 and id like a good role playing game to play so id like some of your opinions. I have tried world of warcraft and warhammer, i'd prefer not to pay a monthly fee. But if you like the game so much and it has a monthly fee go and ahead and tell me.

Juan Dolor

• Level 5
    • View Profile
    • stupid LiveJournal thing
Re: What is a good role playing game to play?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 02:30:51 PM »
Tabletop games have no monthly fee.   ;D

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 01:24:21 PM »

I'm waiting for Star Wars The Old Republic to come out.  It will of course have a monthly fee.  A person or two I know (who are die hard WoW fans and got betas) say it has the potential to sink WoW.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Juan Dolor

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 06:34:05 AM »
Every game that comes out has the potential to sink WoW.  And every kid that comes into the NBA might be the next Michael Jordan.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 02:37:45 PM »

Nothing that has come out actually has the potential to do away with WoW.  They don't fit the standards.  It's hard to compete with something that has been around a long time and has that much experience.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 04:45:17 PM »
It really depends what you like.  There is a ton of stuff hitting the PS3 and PC this year.  Deus Ex (the one I'm waiting for), The Witcher: Assassins of Kings, Mass Effect 3 (hopefully).  It just depends.  The PS3 version of Mass Effect 2 is pretty awesome.  The Dragon Age games are sweet as well.  You could always download some of the classic Squaresoft games (before the company decided to suck) on the PS3 for super cheap.  By that same route you could grab the classic Wild Arms (some of the best music of all old RPGs in my opinion).  But all that is if you like story.  If you just want a straight forward loot grind like WoW but without the monthly fee, Dungeon Siege III comes out in a month or two.  Star Ocean The Last Hope can be found for pretty cheap--really fun battle system.  Resonance of Fate is hard to get into, but has some good reward for sticking with it.  Valkyria Chronicles is on of my personal favorites.

Though like Miyabi says, The Old Republic has some serious potential.  If they can inject some awesome story into the gameplay, it could fill the void left by 90% of the other MMORPGs. 

If you do tabletop or non-console RPGs, one of the best is the Legend of the Five Rings (L5R) RPG.  I'm in a group that gets together for this monthly (at least).  One of the best ones out there.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 04:47:20 PM by Bookstore Guy »
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Juan Dolor

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 03:54:01 PM »
There's also MMOs out there that are free to play and pretty good.  Lord of the Rings Online and Dungeons & Dragons Online have gone free.  And I know there are others.  My favorite is a super fun little game called Puzzle Pirates.

Wordwyrm

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 04:15:08 PM »
I second the motion for Mass Effect. If you haven't played it, you really should. It's both an excellent RPG and a good FPS, and the depth of the setting is extraordinary.
"You learned this... from a book. I need to read more."