Author Topic: something suspicious  (Read 4929 times)

the Monik Ieron

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
something suspicious
« on: April 03, 2011, 06:21:23 AM »
  i'm not sure if anyone saw this or not, some one probably did, but that moment when Vin takes in the mists it seems suspiciously like Stormlight

andygal

• Level 5
    • View Profile
Re: something suspicious
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 08:31:20 AM »
I definitely noticed when re-reading that bit after reading WoK.

Argent

• Level 5
  • Lord
    • View Profile
    • Wowhead
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 04:23:55 PM »
Yea, we talked about it somewhere. One of the popular theories was that since we know that the mists are Preservation's body (kind of), and the stormlight is associated with the Almighty (who is also dead), we may have a running motif where some of the worlds' magical energies are there because some god/Shardholder has died.
Power doesn't always have to corrupt. In many ways, it can change a man for the better.

the Monik Ieron

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 08:23:48 PM »
do you think that this might be the first clue hinting at the relationships between shard magics and cosmere

I wonder if the power of the mists (which was prezervations power) is a kind of form of stormlight, then turned into stormlight when condensed into vin

has anyone else noticed that shardblades are always described as having condensed out of mist
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 11:48:16 PM by the Monik Ieron »

Argent

• Level 5
  • Lord
    • View Profile
    • Wowhead
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 06:04:53 AM »
We know for a fact that all of Brandon's books follow the same set of magic "physics," and he himself has said that the magic systems across different planets have some things in common - only we don't know what it is yet. For all we know, it may be that magic is created from the death of a god/Shard/Shardholder.

So, yea, there is definitely a relationship between the magical laws all around the Cosmere - that's the idea :)
Power doesn't always have to corrupt. In many ways, it can change a man for the better.

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 03:04:03 PM »
  i'm not sure if anyone saw this or not, some one probably did, but that moment when Vin takes in the mists it seems suspiciously like Stormlight

Nice catch with Vin and the Stormlight!

I'm pretty sure the Shard's don't have to be dead for their magic to be active.  Endowment seems to be alive and well, for instance, and both Ruin and Preservation were technically alive while Hemalurgy, Allomancy and Feruchemy were being used.  As far as I know, Sazed is alive and well, holding both Ruin and Preservation, in "An Alloy of Law."

However, it does seem reasonable to think that the Stormlight is to Honor as the mists were to Preservation.
Nature hates being reified.

Tasslehoof

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 08:54:39 PM »
Possible Mistborn Spoiler Below:

And Ruin is technically alive throughout all of the Mistborn series, hes just basically imprisoned in Atium.  Right?  Preservation gave Ruin a little more influence on the world, but imprisoned him in the process.  So therefore the Shard doesn't have to be "dead" for the magic to be active.  Though it is an interesting theory.  Is it possible that there have been less people like Szeth and Kaladin since the Shard in charge of their powers is "dead"?  Is it dead?  This is a pretty interesting topic, I wish I had my book handy.
Now why'd you have to go and push that button?!

- Famous Words of Doom.

andygal

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2011, 02:52:06 AM »
also Endowment is alive. And Preservation was technically alive for most of the series, just very weakened from imprisoning Ruin.

dhalagirl

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2011, 07:02:26 AM »
However, it does seem reasonable to think that the Stormlight is to Honor as the mists were to Preservation.

Ok, that just gave me a SAT flashback.

Argent

• Level 5
  • Lord
    • View Profile
    • Wowhead
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2011, 04:16:10 PM »
Perhaps it's not about death. It may be about some sort of separation within the Shard. After all, both Ruin and Preservation have their bodies/power manifest themselves in the mortal world. And the Allmighty kind of has... everything separated from him. We don't know enough about Endowment to back up that claim, but it could be that the divine breath is a part of him.

andygal

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2011, 04:40:48 PM »
actually we *know* the divine Breaths are a part of Endowment, Brandon said so. It's in the annotations I believe.

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2011, 05:03:13 PM »

Ok, that just gave me a SAT flashback.

Well, it's nice to think that my study for those tests eventually turned out to be useful for *something*.
Nature hates being reified.

dhalagirl

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2011, 05:16:15 AM »
Sadly this is probably the only time it'll prove useful.

King208

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2011, 02:29:21 AM »
On a somewhat related note Nightblood seems to resemble a shardblade more than a little in it's supernatural capabilities.

Both treat non-living material like it isn't there. Both suck souls ,though Nightblood does it to it's wielder not those killed like shardblades. Also they both have a nauseating presence for some individuals, Nightblood for well good people and the shardblades for Saladin at least.

Just a weird little though I had.

zas678

• Level 7
  • Job Title: Hoid Desciption: RAFO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2011, 05:46:28 AM »
Perhaps it's not about death. It may be about some sort of separation within the Shard. After all, both Ruin and Preservation have their bodies/power manifest themselves in the mortal world. And the Allmighty kind of has... everything separated from him. We don't know enough about Endowment to back up that claim, but it could be that the divine breath is a part of him.

We have that.
We know that Divine Breaths are Splinters,
And we know that splinters are a piece of a shard that is non-human,
and we know that Endowment is the Voice that speaks to the Returned, offering to let them return.
And we know that the Divine Breath allows them to Return.

So, it makes sense that Divine Breaths come from Endowment.

1.  Both gods could, if they wanted, fuel all of the metallic arts.  Preservation is stronger at fueling Allomancy, Ruin stronger at fueling Allomancy or Feruchemy when it has been given via a spike.  Both are balanced when it comes to Feruchemy.  But this rarely comes up in the books, as it required expending power in a way that the gods were hesitant to do. 

Now, personally, I think that Divine Breath is Endowment doling out his power in  a way that Ruin and Endowment are "hesitant to do".
“It’s a fun tradition.”
“So was witch-burning,” Melody said.  “Unless you were the witch.”