Author Topic: Don't listen to the jerks  (Read 12694 times)

andygal

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Don't listen to the jerks
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2011, 10:55:08 AM »
either that or it will be so awesome that the universe will explode.

SirZelig

• Level 3
  • I'm not crazy! It's you who is normal
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2011, 02:10:36 PM »
Okay guys and gals, I think Brandon has enough on his plate. Let's not add an apocalypse.  :P
"All because of you
I believe in angels.
Not the kind with wings,
no, not the kind with halos;
the kind that bring you home
when home becomes a strange place.
I'll follow your voice;
all you have to do is
shout it out!"
Rise Against- The Good Left Undone

Juan Dolor

• Level 5
    • View Profile
    • stupid LiveJournal thing
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2011, 09:14:31 PM »
As a gigantic fan of post-apocalyptic fiction, let me be the first to say...

let's add an apocalypse!

dhalagirl

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2011, 02:37:09 AM »
Okay guys and gals, I think Brandon has enough on his plate. Let's not add an apocalypse.  :P

Dangit!  That's what I was going to give him for Koloss head munching day!

CabbyHat

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2011, 07:33:16 AM »

Dangit!  That's what I was going to give him for Koloss head munching day!

You too? Darn it... Looks like another tie this year, then.
Just an idle comment. My comments are often idle. I can never get them to do any solid work.

guessingo

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2011, 01:39:53 PM »
There are always haters out there. I don't see why you let them get to you. They are in the minority. Just ignore them. Didn't Brandon say he was starting on Book 14 January 1st? He wrote the Mistborn book last year. He is also a known and diagnosed workaholic.

Also, note... it is much better for the last book to be great than it is for it to be out fast. If he spends more time on it, it gets polished more. Anyone remember how there was talk of a Robert Jordan documentary and it was going to be called The Wit of the Staircase. This means that you have your best ideas when you are coming down the staircase. Or doing something other than working.

Why let this get to you? I am one of those WoT fans that is half dreading the last book. Then it will be over. I am about the same age and Brandon and started reading WoT in High School. I remember when one of the books came right around my college finals. I read the book instead of studying. I don't want it to be over. It will probably take me months to make it through the last book since I don't want it to end.

I don't know why people even bother getting upset over this.

Tasslehoof

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2011, 06:23:48 AM »
There are always haters out there. I don't see why you let them get to you. They are in the minority. Just ignore them. Didn't Brandon say he was starting on Book 14 January 1st? He wrote the Mistborn book last year. He is also a known and diagnosed workaholic.

Also, note... it is much better for the last book to be great than it is for it to be out fast. If he spends more time on it, it gets polished more. Anyone remember how there was talk of a Robert Jordan documentary and it was going to be called The Wit of the Staircase. This means that you have your best ideas when you are coming down the staircase. Or doing something other than working.

Why let this get to you? I am one of those WoT fans that is half dreading the last book. Then it will be over. I am about the same age and Brandon and started reading WoT in High School. I remember when one of the books came right around my college finals. I read the book instead of studying. I don't want it to be over. It will probably take me months to make it through the last book since I don't want it to end.

100% agree, its going to be depressing.  As part of the "new generation" of readers.  Seeing Harry Potter go by through my childhood, and then the final book arriving my Senior year of High School was just... depressing.  I read it in one sitting from 1~ am to noon.  It was nice to be done, but it was also depressing to know I'd never read anymore of it.

Long book series are like going on the journey with no goal in mind.  The desire comes from the journey itself, the sense of unknown ahead of you.  When the journey ends, you feel accomplished, but with a sense that you wish it would have lasted longer.
Now why'd you have to go and push that button?!

- Famous Words of Doom.

andygal

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2011, 06:36:28 AM »
Journey before destination! ;D

Folia

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2011, 07:31:46 PM »

Agreed. I think I'm going to cry when the series ends. Partly because the series will be over, and I wont know what to do with my life, and partly because i really didn't want Rand to die, after reading ToM i''ll be surprised if he doesn't. As far as I'm concerned Brandon can take his sweet time.   

Inkthinker

• Level 11
  • Animation and Illustration
    • View Profile
    • inkthinker.deviantart.com
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2011, 01:00:29 AM »
There's a certain sensation that comes with reading the last page of a good book, and closing that cover... it's hard to express, but it's not a bad feeling exactly... quite the opposite. Maybe bittersweet, sometimes? 

« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 01:18:26 PM by Inkthinker »

SirZelig

• Level 3
  • I'm not crazy! It's you who is normal
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2011, 12:08:10 PM »
There's a certain sensation that comes with reading the last page of a good book, and closing that cover... it's hard to express, but it's not a bad feeling exactly.

I don't know about you, but I get a feeling of accomplishment when I finish a book. I know it kinda sounds silly. Seeing as I Had no part in writing the book.
"All because of you
I believe in angels.
Not the kind with wings,
no, not the kind with halos;
the kind that bring you home
when home becomes a strange place.
I'll follow your voice;
all you have to do is
shout it out!"
Rise Against- The Good Left Undone

hubay

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2011, 07:57:00 PM »
I don't know about you, but I get a feeling of accomplishment when I finish a book. I know it kinda sounds silly. Seeing as I Had no part in writing the book.

It's like when you finish one of those gargantuan meals at restaurant – you know, like the hamburger the size of your head that you get for free if you eat it in one sitting. You didn't make the thing, of course, but you're pretty proud it's all in your belly now.

I don't think this analogy really applies outside of novel the size of Brandon's, though. Heh.

@Inkthinker: I think bittersweet is perfect. As much as you want closure, it's always a bit sad to know the story is never going to change, now. I think it's especially powerfull for fantasy readers, because we spend the space between books in a series imagining and fantasizing about how it's all going to happen – how plots will be resolved, how your favorite character will finally land his or her love interest or defeat the dark lord. Once you've read the real story, you realize all your little tales don't mean anything; this is how it happened.

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2011, 10:59:57 PM »
Huh.

It depends on the book, really.  It also depends on where I am.  If I'm with family, I can chat and philosophize for hours on what the book is about.  That usually ends up pretty well.

If I'm not, it can be kind of lonely, kinda like leaving somebody and knowing you'll never see them again.  More so if the ending was a downer or bittersweet.  The ending of "Well of Ascension" was a serious downer for me.  Left me depressed.  (Not seriously so, though.)  It didn't help that I'd read it in one sitting late at night.
Nature hates being reified.

calvin

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2011, 02:03:44 PM »
Yeah, I've been following his tweets and I'm amazed that he accomplishes as much as he does in a day.  I know if I tried to do this it would take me at least twice as long as Brandon and it wouldn't be half as meticulous.  The man is amazing!

Didn't you know?  Brandon's the one who holds the 16th shard, Creativity.

Somehow, we wouldn't really be surprised.

He's actually on an Atium burn...

[Strange side thought...could you imagine the squirrel from "Hoodwinked" on both coffee AND atium?  What a trip!...okay, you can go back to what you were doing.]
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 02:11:02 PM by calvin »
If everyone else sits back and does nothing, the bad guy wins.

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2011, 02:33:53 PM »
Yeah, I've been following his tweets and I'm amazed that he accomplishes as much as he does in a day.  I know if I tried to do this it would take me at least twice as long as Brandon and it wouldn't be half as meticulous.  The man is amazing!

Didn't you know?  Brandon's the one who holds the 16th shard, Creativity.

Somehow, we wouldn't really be surprised.

He's actually on an Atium burn...

[Strange side thought...could you imagine the squirrel from "Hoodwinked" on both coffee AND atium?  What a trip!...okay, you can go back to what you were doing.]

So if there was a loud bang nearby, the squirrel would jump twenty feet in the air about three seconds before it happened?
Nature hates being reified.