Author Topic: Serious Politicals Discussions and stuff  (Read 9846 times)

Onion of Death

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Serious Politicals Discussions and stuff
« on: January 30, 2004, 07:08:20 PM »
Here is my promised thread. Start debating now. Gorgon, this is your time to prove to the others that we aren't idiots.
Time Jesum Transeuntum Et Non Riverentum.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
Re: Serious Politicals Discussions and stuff
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2004, 07:20:49 PM »
I would promise myself to only read this thread and never the other one, but I'm a glutton for the punishment of myself and others.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 1
  • If we can teach a monkey to use a Rubic's Cube...
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2004, 07:32:59 PM »
   So when are we gonna get to the "serious disscusion" I seem to have been promised upon opening this page?  My splew on Bush seemed to turk a lot of people off because I got some stuff out that they didn't agree with, so where is the debating that you all say you love so much?  I don't mean to be rude but my rant didn't start a debate, only mud-slinging, and Onion's doesn't seem to be doing it's job so if you all love debating so much lets hear it!
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

www.kinasemovestheaudio.com for a good time!

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2004, 07:38:03 PM »
So yeah. I could talk about the european union - how i despise its new constitution, with its inclusion of speaking against the european commision being regarded as treason, a 300 year regression - and how i find the fact that tony blair is not allowing a referrendum on the subject of this most glorious country signing away its very freedom to a bunch of beaurocrats in brussels infuriating - but....

You have not really got the brains to comprehend it, have you? Oh, and try spelling the damn topic right next time. No "s" on political.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2004, 07:42:34 PM »
Well since you started the first one, we kind of expect you to keep this one going.

Do a little research on the websites.  Say "I think this person is a good candidate because he believes X and Z and is against Y."

I think Kerry looks like a good democratic candidate, and hope he continues to do well.  He is big on women's health care rights, and such things - allowing women to claim their gynecologist as their primary medical practicioner, and requiring all insurance and HMO's to cover birth control costs for all women.  He's for civil union rights for gay couples, but against actual marriage.  That is why I like Kerry.

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2004, 07:42:41 PM »
    It is not lack of brains, it is lack of knowlage.  Remember that.  There is a difference between stupidity and ignorance.  If you plan on attacking us personally simply because we have not had the opportunity to learn that you have had, due to our age, then maybe you aren't really inteligent enough to pick on someone your own age, hmmm?

But lets not get into that because this is supposed to be about politics.
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

Onion of Death

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2004, 07:43:32 PM »
So I hit the "s" on accident. I'm so sorry...

Quick! The heretic has added an extra letter! Go, and find me a rope, and a stout tree! There's gonna be a hanging!

s

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2004, 07:44:21 PM »
Gorgon, you're being attacked because it's assumed that you're smart enough to KNOW BETTER than to talk about something you don't have knowledge of.

And just because this is the Internet doesn't mean we all tolerate people spouting off stuff without thought.

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2004, 07:50:44 PM »
Frankly, if your opinions are not based on facts and knowledge, then what are they based on?  Gut feelings?  Regurgitated opinions of those you respect?
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2004, 07:52:30 PM »
   Fuzzy Octopus, my statement was not directed towards you.  Also, was I wrong?  Was my statement incorrect?  No?  Then it's just stating both a fact and my opinion, and if you get one I do too.
Robert Heinlein

Edmund Burke

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2004, 07:55:29 PM »
   I am dreadfully sorry if my statements offend you when I have a few facts which I tie together.  True, I do not have an overly extensive knowlage of politics.  True also that I do not have an overly extensive experience.

But nothing I said was not grounded in some fact that I have picked up along the way.  Every fact is regurgitated from someone or something.  
Robert Heinlein

Edmund Burke

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2004, 07:55:44 PM »
Yes, but we like to delude ourselves that your opinons need to have reasons behind them.

Now it just seems that we don't like your reasons for hating Bush.  It's not that we like Bush, just that we like to think of ourselves as mature and impartial and so we have to have good reasons for hating Bush.

We don't agree with your reasons.  The reasons you gave are very commonly spouted and often with no thought whatsoever- they are heard, they sound good, and they get repeated with no real thought behind them.  Thus, when you appear TOTALLY out of the blue on this message board, (about GAMES) and the first thing you do is tell us how much you hate Bush, we react badly.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2004, 07:56:25 PM by fuzzyoctopus »

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2004, 08:01:37 PM »
   So I do not make the same mistake again, and to humour me, wha was so horrible about my reasonings?  Just because they were based in commonly known facts shouldn't make them horrible reasonings.  I have thought about these facts and based my opinion around the big things, for the fine details is not what matters at this part of the presidency, in my opinion.  No amount of fine details can distort the way he screwed up, in my opinion, and just because I don't have in depth of a knowlage as you does not mean my opinion is illegitimate, it is just not as well supported as yours.  It is, however, supported so it's not like I based my opinion on what others think.  If you think I did then you are sorely mistaken.
Robert Heinlein

Edmund Burke

Onion of Death

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2004, 08:09:18 PM »
The real point of this thread is to discuss issues people have with Bush.

My main issue with him would be that he did to some degree mislead the American people into a costly war. Yes, Saddam Hussein was a very evil, and very cruel man. But I don't see why we have to go around playing Saviour of the World whenever something bad happens. I believe it would be best if we attempted to fix our own problems before everyone elses.

On another note, the Iraqi rebels now have the ability to win by simply not losing. If the casualties keep mounting, eventually we will pull out. No one wants another Vietnam.

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2004, 08:10:11 PM »
The problem, in my mind, is that you gave a situation (a large deficit) and then blamed it on something without showing your logic.  You said the Patriot Act was bad, but never said a) why it was bad or b) why you blamed it one Bush (well, you said why you blamed it on Bush, but "because I said so" isn't a valid argument).

It's like writing an essay.  Give us a thesis (There is a big deficit), a conclusion (it was Bush's fault) and a bunch of evidence explaining WHY.  That's the part you left out.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com