Author Topic: Ch47 Annotarions : Lifeless POV and Future Visions (spoilers)  (Read 2908 times)

hubay

• Level 7
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
So, if you check the most recent annotations for Warbreaker, Mr. Sanderson mentions two crazy little tidbits – one, had the second Manywar happened, the Idrians would have eventually won, and the world would have burned, because Yelsteel (sp?) would have discovered the secret to making more nightbloods. Uhoh.

Two, he says lifeless are more aware than people think. He even said he'll try and get a lifeless pov in the next book if it works out.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 01:18:45 AM by hubay »

Tortellini

• Level 3
    • View Profile
Re: Lifeless POV (spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 09:47:39 AM »
I'll post this here instead of opening another thread:

Direct quote from the annotations by Brandon: She Returned, in fact, in order to save the life of her daughter. She of course forgot this once she got back.

The imperative word here is to. It seems that the Returned do not return because of something they did, but to do something. The first part was pretty likely given the previous comments of Brandon about how the accepted explanation was not really correct. And there are baby Returned, after all.

So the Returned actually come back in order to do something, and then they completely forget about it? That's quite sad actually... It could be another sign that the shardholder there (Endowment, right?) also died, possibly murdered by Odium.

Also, the lifeless thing is damn interesting, I really would like to see a viewpoint. But wow, being stored underground in darkness for years - if there was anything in there, it must be gone bad after all that time!

Creative_Vortx

• Level 7
    • View Profile
Re: Lifeless POV (spoilers)
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 11:11:13 PM »
Direct quote from the annotations by Brandon: She Returned, in fact, in order to save the life of her daughter. She of course forgot this once she got back.

The imperative word here is to. It seems that the Returned do not return because of something they did, but to do something.

That's pretty interesting. By that single tidbit, we can assume that the shard watching over the world in Warbreaker is cognitive of the future. Creating change in the world to directly affect the timeline.
Maker of Days - Dubbed so by Miyabi

Recruit of the Omegas.

hubay

• Level 7
    • View Profile
Re: Ch47 Annotarions : Lifeless POV and Future Visions (spoilers)
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 01:21:25 AM »
I changed the thread title so it's more accurate.

What I think is interesting is that, even if they have very hedonistic lives, the rest of the Returned are still there to achieve some sort of purpose. I wonder if some of them have passed the point they were supposed to have changed, but didn't because they enjoyed life too much.

Likewise, I wonder if Susebron ever got a vision, before he was born, and if he'll ever remember it.

Argent

• Level 5
  • Lord
    • View Profile
    • Wowhead
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 02:19:36 PM »
He must have. I think it's part of the process of becoming a Returned. You die, you see the Iridescent Wave, you have a vision of the future (although you may be unable to recognize it as such), and in some rare cases, you decide to come back and try to fix things.

But the tidbit about Endowment likely being able to see the future is interesting. Unless there is some leftover of power from before the shattering of Adonalsium, and it's that power that's showing visions of the future, he must be a pretty interesting Shard.
Power doesn't always have to corrupt. In many ways, it can change a man for the better.

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 12:18:35 AM »
He must have. I think it's part of the process of becoming a Returned. You die, you see the Iridescent Wave, you have a vision of the future (although you may be unable to recognize it as such), and in some rare cases, you decide to come back and try to fix things.

But the tidbit about Endowment likely being able to see the future is interesting. Unless there is some leftover of power from before the shattering of Adonalsium, and it's that power that's showing visions of the future, he must be a pretty interesting Shard.

Actually, over on 17th Shard, being able to see the future is the prime candidate for a power all shards hold.  It seems to hold across an enormous variety of Shards, and it seems likely that Shard's can interfere with each others visions, just like atium users can.

Atium is, in fact, a prime piece of evidence for this (allowing humans to see the future, even if just a little bit), as is Preservation's ability to create the scarily accurate prophecies.  The Almighty in WoK also says he can see the future (but it is cracked, like a mirror, the further you go) and the Cultivation was better at it than he was.  And then there's the odd tidbit in Elantris where Wyrn seems to know the future.    Endowment seeing the future seems almost mundane once you put it into the proper line-up. So it's not all that unique, really.

Edit:  Back on topic, I wonder what the heck Vasher saw before he died.  Also, returned having awareness?  It seems to me that there is more to awakening that we realize...
Nature hates being reified.

Tasslehoof

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2011, 05:02:17 AM »
The fact that all Shards can "see the future" in some way, or to some degree is quite interesting.  It makes sense when you lay it out like it has been.
Now why'd you have to go and push that button?!

- Famous Words of Doom.

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 03:00:14 PM »
I have two theories about the Shard's being able to see the future:

They are just so smart from holding the power, it's as easy for them to see the future as it is for us to predict where a baseball is going or that a certain relationship is going to fall apart.  It's not certain, exactly, but with a bit of practice and experience, most of us can get pretty good at those two things.  It only becomes really difficult when somebody just as smart as us gets involved.

The other idea is that they actually see through time somehow, the same way we can see through space.

I actually favor the second idea more.  But we'll see.
Nature hates being reified.