Author Topic: Mistborn: Alloy of Law  (Read 20029 times)

Ipood

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile

andygal

• Level 5
    • View Profile
Re: Mistborn: Alloy of Law
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 06:12:14 PM »
haha, there's a topic on 17th Shard about "Dual mistings", and somebody made a comment about  steel and iron.

And yeah, that's Breeze's name. Who wants to bet that's not a co-incidence?

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 08:15:01 PM »

<33333333333 the cover art.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Endra kin'Fox

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 02:43:12 AM »
I would venture to say that it was very intentional. And Duel Mistings? I have yet to see this topic. On my way over there now. I have been looking into the Twinborns that were mentioned, however.
"Show me your soul Priest, and I'll gladly show you mine." -Aias

dhalagirl

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 03:42:46 AM »
Yeah, I don't think that's the sort of thing he'd do accidentally.  I'm totally psyched to read the book and the cover art is FANTASTIC!!!

Two words:  Geek hotness. 

maxonennis

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 06:23:59 PM »
One such is Waxillium Ladrian, a rare Twinborn who can Push on metals with his Allomancy and use Feruchemy to become lighter or heavier at will.

This should have basically the same affect as having both Steel and Iron (until the user runs out of metals or stored up weight). Neat idea of  how to get around the limitations of only Mistings and the Feruchemy equivalent of Mistings existing.
"Don't argue with ignorance. And when you argue with me, that's all you get!" Mike

Maxonennis’ soliloquy on Frog relations: “How can I bake the hall in the candle of her brain?”

Inkthinker

• Level 11
  • Animation and Illustration
    • View Profile
    • inkthinker.deviantart.com
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 01:25:31 AM »
Bwahahahaaa... the speculations begin.  ;D

That cover is very cool. I love McGrath's work on the Dresden books.

-EDIT-

And Waxillium is an awesome name.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 01:28:21 AM by Inkthinker »

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 04:15:48 PM »
One such is Waxillium Ladrian, a rare Twinborn who can Push on metals with his Allomancy and use Feruchemy to become lighter or heavier at will.

This should have basically the same affect as having both Steel and Iron (until the user runs out of metals or stored up weight). Neat idea of  how to get around the limitations of only Mistings and the Feruchemy equivalent of Mistings existing.

No, this is much, much better.  Pushing and Pulling at the same time had strong limits, because your body could only take so much.

Being able to be heavier or lighter (given time) could be nearly limitless depending on how much weight is stored.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

maxonennis

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2011, 04:28:28 PM »

No, this is much, much better.  Pushing and Pulling at the same time had strong limits, because your body could only take so much.

Being able to be heavier or lighter (given time) could be nearly limitless depending on how much weight is stored.

On top of all that there's the cool floating rather than falling trick that Sazed did with weight.
"Don't argue with ignorance. And when you argue with me, that's all you get!" Mike

Maxonennis’ soliloquy on Frog relations: “How can I bake the hall in the candle of her brain?”

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2011, 05:19:32 PM »

On top of all that there's the cool floating rather than falling trick that Sazed did with weight.

Precisely, use almost NO metal to push yourself a direction.  Or have yourself be a HUGE anchor to push something else.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Tortellini

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2011, 06:10:26 PM »
Wow, that cover doesn't just yell steampunk, it grabs you by the collar of your shirt and shouts "STEAMPUNK!" so loudly you can feel the drops of  spittle hit your face  :D

Definitely not saying I don't like it though  ;)

CthulhuKefka

• Level 15
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2011, 07:05:55 PM »
That cover is beyond awesome. I cannot wait for this book to come out!

I like how one of the cities is called Elendel.  :D
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 07:09:47 PM by CthulhuKefka »

maxonennis

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2011, 07:16:13 PM »
Wow, that cover doesn't just yell steampunk, it grabs you by the collar of your shirt and shouts "STEAMPUNK!" so loudly you can feel the drops of  spittle hit your face  :D

Definitely not saying I don't like it though  ;)

I thought steampunk was supposed to be pseudo sci-fi along the same lines as space operas, built around unrealistic science but sci-fi all the same.  ??? Not that it matters.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2011, 07:35:10 PM »
The book actually isn't steampunk. It's fairly standard very early 1900s technology level, though they're behind that in some ways and ahead in others. But the cover is largely accurate in most respects. Waxillium does wear goggles in one scene, but not most of the time.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Inkthinker

• Level 11
  • Animation and Illustration
    • View Profile
    • inkthinker.deviantart.com
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2011, 08:50:03 PM »
Is it even possible to combine any sort of Victorian/Industrial Revolution setting with fantastical elements of ANY kind and not be labeled as "steampunk"? I mean, it doesn't really matter if its got steam or magic or mouse poops running the technology, this is an issue of marketing and public perception... Industrial Revolution + Fantasy = "Steampunk", whether it's got steam running the gears or not. Only insiders really make distinctions between steampunk, dieselpunk, gearpunk, springpunk, manapunk, cattlepunk, and so forth.

I think fans should rest assured, this book isn't about Brandon cashing in on Tropes. Book covers are about marketing, with only a secondary consideration for content.

Plus, I swear... goggles are just straight-up marketing shorthand, now. If Wax wasn't wearing the goggles, would it still scream "steampunk" so hard? Can you wear goggles and NOT scream "steampunk"?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 08:56:03 PM by Inkthinker »