Departments > Books

why do editors and agents hate prologues

<< < (2/3) > >>

dhalagirl:
I agree with everything that's been said already.  I'd also like to add that I think a lot of writers, in their attempt to emulate the masters, think that every great novel needs a prologue/prelude.  They don't stop to think that there's a time and a place for it.

guessingo:
Out of curiosity. If you were pitching Eye of the World to an agent or to a publisher, and lets say they asked to see the first 3 chapters. Would you call the prologue a prologue or just call it chapter 1 ?

Peter: Thanks for your response. The prologue in mistborn was necessary. I like the term prelude since its different. It is sort of an attention grabber for me.

You said that Brandon would do things differently now that he has more experience. It would be interesting to see the Writing Excuses guys talk about previous works and what they would do differently now. Part of it is experience, part of is as you get older, your views and opinions evolve.

Also, I think it would be interesting if you appeared as a guest on the show. You know quite a bit about the industry. It would be interesting to talk about what you do. Might be interesting if you do it with some other writers assistants. You have alot of interesting things to say.

Peter Ahlstrom:
I wouldn't call it chapter 1 because that would cause problems. It's clearly not a chapter 1, not once you get to Emmonds Field.

Don't do something just to fake an agent out. That is always the wrong tactic. If you have a prologue, just make sure it's actually necessary.

I don't know how I'd do on an episode, since I'm not very good at talking off the cuff.

Jason R. Peters:
Prologue to Eye of the World, and therefore the entire Wheel of Time: Proper and necessary.

Prologue to The Great Hunt with "Bors": Completely unnecessary, out of place, time-consuming, jarring, uninformative, and boring.

Prologue to every other book in the Wheel of Time: See Prologue to The Great Hunt.

Most prologues simply fall into one or the other.

I liked the use of the word "Prelude", Peter, if only because I write music in addition to fiction, so kudos. Another (clunkier) option would have been:

Prologue to The Stormlight Archive
Prologue to A Way of Kings

Peter Ahlstrom:
Yeah, the clunky nature is why we picked something else.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version