Author Topic: Alcatraz Versus The Knights Of Crystallia  (Read 5313 times)

Hobbun

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Alcatraz Versus The Knights Of Crystallia
« on: March 02, 2011, 03:40:48 PM »
It’s good to be back again. The forum was down whenever I tried visiting in the past, but it looks like it has been up for awhile now. It is good to see up and going again.

But to the topic of my post,  I have read the first two Alcatraz books, and although on the light side because of what ages they are aimed at, they are good reads. However, I would like to purchase the third book, Alcatraz Versus The Knights Of Crystallia, in paperback. But for whatever reason, it is still not available even though the hardcover was released in December 2009.

Does anyone know or heard from Brandon on what the hold up is? I would like to purchase the third book and continue with the series, but really would like to do so in paperback.

Creative_Vortx

• Level 7
    • View Profile
Re: Alcatraz Versus The Knights Of Crystallia
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 06:24:33 PM »
Don't have an answer for ya.. but it's currently $11.55 for the hardcover @ Amazon. Only $4 more then the paperback. Seems like a good deal to meeeeeeee. :nudge nudge: go get it.  ;D
Maker of Days - Dubbed so by Miyabi

Recruit of the Omegas.

Hobbun

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 06:43:39 PM »
Heh   :)

It’s not the price. As you said, it’s only a $4 difference. It’s just the aesthetics of it. I want to keep them all the same on my shelf, not paperback, paperback, hardcover. Yeah, I know, sounds picky.

Besides, it isn’t as if I am really needing it right now as I have enough to read. I just find it odd that the book isn’t in paperback yet as it’s been well over a year since it’s hardcover release and there isn’t a projected paperback release date as far as I can tell.   ???

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 07:58:30 PM »
The publisher has not announced any plans to put the 3rd or 4th book out in paperback. And I don't know if they ever will put them out in paperback.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Hobbun

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 08:00:46 PM »
Well, that would be odd if they didn't. I mean they released the first two in paperback.

Peter, has Scholastic Press given any indication why?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 08:05:42 PM by Hobbun »

Juan Dolor

• Level 5
    • View Profile
    • stupid LiveJournal thing
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 04:12:35 PM »
I asked a couple of bookstores this same thing and they said they couldn't see any plans in the works to have it released in paperback.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2011, 05:44:44 PM »
It's probably because it didn't sell well enough in hardcover for their tastes. Many bookstores didn't order any copies of Alcatraz 4 either.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Creative_Vortx

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, 06:29:58 PM »

It’s not the price. As you said, it’s only a $4 difference. It’s just the aesthetics of it. I want to keep them all the same on my shelf, not paperback, paperback, hardcover. Yeah, I know, sounds picky.

Besides, it isn’t as if I am really needing it right now as I have enough to read. I just find it odd that the book isn’t in paperback yet as it’s been well over a year since it’s hardcover release and there isn’t a projected paperback release date as far as I can tell.   ???

I completely understand. I'm the same way only opposite, I can't buy paperback. It just looks horrible to me.  ;D

Recruit of the Omegas.

Juan Dolor

• Level 5
    • View Profile
    • stupid LiveJournal thing
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2011, 07:46:24 PM »
It's probably because it didn't sell well enough in hardcover for their tastes. Many bookstores didn't order any copies of Alcatraz 4 either.

Is this why Alcatraz 5 is on hold?

Hobbun

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2011, 08:06:48 PM »

I completely understand. I'm the same way only opposite, I can't buy paperback. It just looks horrible to me.  ;D

I usually buy everything in paperback (that I want to read) except for my favorite authors/series I enjoy the most. With them, I buy a hardcover and a paperback.  ;D

And Brandon is one of my favorite authors,  but however much I enjoy the Alcatraz novels, they are a 'lesser' series for me, if that makes sense. It's a shame it doesn't appear that Alcatraz 3 (and I guess 4 and 5 as well) won't be in paperback. Not sure what I will do. Maybe I just will buy the first two in hardcover and call it a day.

To Juan: I believe Alcatraz 5 is not out yet just for the fact Brandon hasn't had time to write it. I believe that's what he said at least at the Chicago WoK signing.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2011, 09:08:19 PM »
Alcatraz 5 isn't on hold. It's not scheduled at all. Scholastic decided not to publish it. Brandon will finish the series by some other method at some later date.

Hobbun

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2011, 09:37:45 PM »
Alcatraz 5 isn't on hold. It's not scheduled at all. Scholastic decided not to publish it. Brandon will finish the series by some other method at some later date.

Ah, well that answers why Scholastic isn’t publishing the third and fourth Alcatraz novels in paperback. Of course I could be wrong, but it appears there is something that’s gone wrong in the working relationship between Brandon and Scholastic.  That’s a shame.

I am certain Brandon will find a publisher to finish the series, but it's too bad we will never see books 3 and 4 in paperback as Scholastic holds the publishing rights.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 09:42:40 PM by Hobbun »

Creative_Vortx

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2011, 10:43:14 PM »

Ah, well that answers why Scholastic isn’t publishing the third and fourth Alcatraz novels in paperback. Of course I could be wrong, but it appears there is something that’s gone wrong in the working relationship between Brandon and Scholastic.  That’s a shame.

I am certain Brandon will find a publisher to finish the series, but it's too bad we will never see books 3 and 4 in paperback as Scholastic holds the publishing rights.

Darn you Scholastic and your middle school fliers that made me buy books I didn't need nor want nor plan to read! DAAAAAMN YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOU.

...Ya....

Recruit of the Omegas.