Author Topic: Unreliable Narrator Question  (Read 1588 times)

maxonennis

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Unreliable Narrator Question
« on: March 01, 2011, 05:12:53 PM »
Okay, I writing a short story with a first person unreliable narrator, but what makes him unreliable is that he suffers from narcolepsy and sleepwalking (a combination I plan to use for comic affect). My question is this, if said narrator narrates in past tense, doesn’t that means that he is essentially recounting events later on? That being the case, it would be easy for him to come up with a suitable conclusion for when he (for example) feel asleep on the way to the bakery and ended up walking to the local library without admitting that he just feel asleep.

I ask that question to ask this one: would the character not be more unreliable if his narration was in present tense? I would think it would be the difference between a rehearsed lie, and telling a lie on the spot with someone putting pressure on you. Because of that, I'm leaning towards writing this in present tense, but I wanted to get other people's opinions on the narration device.

So, is present tense for an reliable character with this disposition a good idea, or a bad one?
"Don't argue with ignorance. And when you argue with me, that's all you get!" Mike

Maxonennis’ soliloquy on Frog relations: “How can I bake the hall in the candle of her brain?”

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Re: Unreliable Narrator Question
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 05:20:00 AM »
I think it could be interesting in present tense, for the reasons you describe.

Present tense is very hard to do well, but there are some books where the writing is so good that I don't really notice it's in present tense until I'm finished with the book and think back on it.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

dhalagirl

• Level 6
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Unreliable Narrator Question
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 05:41:21 AM »
I think it could be interesting in present tense, for the reasons you describe.

Present tense is very hard to do well, but there are some books where the writing is so good that I don't really notice it's in present tense until I'm finished with the book and think back on it.

I agree completely.