Author Topic: So I'm reading A Feast for Crows...  (Read 7301 times)

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Re: So I'm reading A Feast for Crows...
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2010, 09:00:43 PM »
Eh, I liked it. If only because Tywin was a horrible man who needed what happened to him after that. And I look forward to seeing what Tyrion does now.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Stormblessed

• Level 10
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2010, 01:13:21 AM »
Eh, I liked it. If only because Tywin was a horrible man who needed what happened to him after that. And I look forward to seeing what Tyrion does now.

Yes, Tyrion is quite the devil, which makes him so enjoyable.  ;) If anyone can come back from this low, it will be Tywin.

In other news, I just think that Peter Dinkle will play an awesome Tywin. Can't wait until GoT comes out next year! Yay!
"You've killed me. Bastards, you've killed me!
 -- Darkeyed Soldier

JCHancey

• Level 8
  • Formerly known as Jakobus
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2010, 09:05:11 AM »
I finally finished it. I stopped reading it about halfway through and read some other, better books. The ending was much better than I thought it would be. The middle section made me want to vomit. It did it's job making me anticipate the next book though.
RJF: "I spit upon the ground where you no longer ever existed."

Stormblessed

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2010, 09:35:15 AM »
Now welcome to the long wait...
 -- Darkeyed Soldier

daranthered

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2010, 06:49:12 PM »
I honestly don't understand what people see in the series.  It's a good story, it's just not that remarkable.  A world where the seasons change slowly is as old as the pulp magazines.  The Dragon killed by the Lion to be threatened by the Wolf feels like a Middle-English poem to me.  The rest of the plot feels like a fantasy version of War and Peace.  I am a firm believer that his writing makes the series so compelling.

All but one character I liked remained alive after book two, and he's not even in a Feast for Crows.  Jon Snow has been beyond the Wall for over a decade!  By rights, the next time we see him, he should be thirty-five.
dulce et decorum est

Stormblessed

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2010, 02:52:33 AM »
For me it was the amazing character development. Even for the characters that I hate, I can still acknowledge how well they've been created, and who each character has its own distinct voice.
 -- Darkeyed Soldier

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2010, 06:56:58 AM »
Also, the lack of magic is refreshing
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Kykeon

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2010, 09:15:22 AM »
The Lannisters and the Freys seem to be the most dysfunctional houses in Westeros.
The others b!tch and quarrel, but at least there is a semblance of cohesion.
Also, the lack of magic is refreshing
There is magic, but it'S a thing for scholars.
What is weird is that the Maesters never managed to get any arcane knowledge from  the Asshai.   :o

daranthered

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2010, 09:23:52 PM »
On the plus side, they said at NYCC that Martin is on the last two chapters of A Dance of Dragons.  I can't find the link anymore, so here's what I wrote at the time.

http://daranthered.blogspot.com/2010/10/winter-is-coming-at-long-last.html

I promised myself a long time ago that I wouldn't read any more of the series until it was finished.  I was pretty lost when I started Feast.  I had to go back and reread the whole series.  I'd have to do that again, so I'm waiting.
dulce et decorum est

guessingo

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2011, 05:09:00 PM »
he seemed to have gotten re-invigorated on writing these books since the HBO picked up the series. I got the sense he was having so much trouble with these books and he was such a perfectionist, he was getting burned out.

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2011, 06:52:34 AM »
Martin produces great work, but discovery writers always struggle.

I'm looking forward to that next book. It's been a long time coming.

My favorite character would have to be a toss up. Every character has so many faults. Jon Snow, Samwell Tarly or Arya would have to be the big contenders.
You can always get what you want if you never count the cost.

Stormblessed

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2011, 05:38:40 AM »
To be honest, i think the main reason for the long wait is that he has to create whole new material to fill in the 5 years that he was previously going to skip. Once that is done, the other books shouldn't take too long to write.
 -- Darkeyed Soldier

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2011, 06:11:05 PM »
That's a bit silly. George has stated that what's taken the most time is a plot point he calls the Meereenese Knot, which I believe involves finagling things to get certain people in the right place at the right time.

Future books won't have that particular plot point to solve, but you never know when a tricky plotting situation might come up. It's not like the other books are completely outlined already.

Don't think for a minute that he will start banging out the books now. A perfectionist streak in a writer does not generally go away.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!