General > Rants and Stuff

Whatever happened to the word, "led"?

(1/2) > >>

old aggie:
"Led" - past tense of the verb, "to lead"

I cannot tell you the last time I read this word in a news story, e-mail, or (sorry) post on this or any other forum. It's even wrong in many books (but none from TWG authors, as far as I know).

When I read something in the news like, "Yesterday, Maj. Xyz lead the Nth Brigade in an offensive against [generic enemy combatants]," it just makes me wonder - When did this happen? Because "lead" is present tense, but it says it happened yesterday...

Am I the only one to notice this? - that a fine and legitimate word has met a premature end at the hands of the evil spellcheck, which is too dumb to know the difference?

Or is this a recognized change in the language? - I confess that, to me, "prioritize" will never be a real word, and "creative" will never be a noun, so I may just have to use the one new term that's worth its weight in gold: "Whatever."

dhalagirl:
I blame spellcheck and Lolcats.

Hero of Ages:
And "clothe" (vs. cloth) and "breathe" (vs. breath)?

Eerongal:
it happens, i believe, because people confuse led with lead (the noun) and assume its right to go with lead ("leed") because of instances like read ("red") and read ("reed")

Miyabi:

It stayed up too late drinking, then called in sick.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version