Author Topic: Steam punk research reading list  (Read 8278 times)

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
Re: Steam punk research reading list
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2011, 10:37:12 PM »

I shouldn't be allowed to buy books in a bookstore, because this is what happens:
Dreadnought  Cherie Priest  (The lady said this one was much better than the first.)
Scar Night Alan Campbell
The Osiris Ritual George Mann
Leviathan Westerfeld
Behemoth Westerfeld.
----------------------
Grand total = $72.

EDIT:  Oh, and I bought a copy of The Time Machine, I hope to god I don't have to tell you who wrote that one, for my sister, because she has never read it.

you could use your library card? I constantly have books and audio books checked out.

But then you can't mark them up if you use them like research.  I love the library, but sometimes owning the book is way more effective.

This.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2011, 08:07:12 AM »

I'm going to double post again.  I had some inspiration while trying to go to sleep tonight.  I posted it here, since this place isn't where it goes.  Please post there and tell me what you think. =D (Be brutal, I expect it to suck since it's a quick write in the middle of the night.)
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

hubay

• Level 7
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2011, 06:21:41 PM »
(last bump) Alright, that's all of the february posts, so hopefully nobody's thread will be forgotten just cuz of some annoying spammer.

dhalagirl

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2011, 03:41:43 AM »
Thanks for doing that Hubay!  You deserve a hero cookie.

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2011, 04:21:06 PM »
you guys know what would be more helpful? To report some of the spam to a moderator, using the "report to moderator" button. don't need to do all of them, just enough to get a mod's attention to remove all the spam posts, rather than working around them by bumping threads. (i've all ready reported a few, but so far haven't seen a mod come on and get it) :P

Just sayin'.
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

daranthered

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2011, 12:24:00 AM »
"Steampunk" by Ann and Jeff Vandermeer was my starting point.  Not only does it have a wide selection of stories from across the sub-genre, but it puts the stories in the wider context of the development of Steampunk.
dulce et decorum est

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2011, 09:11:39 AM »

I have done that too Eer.  We need more mods that are around all the time instead of once or twice a month.

Daran - Yeah I need to get that one.  I'll get it after I read the stack of steampunk lying on my dresser.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

yoringel

• Level 2
    • View Profile
    • sketches
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2011, 03:35:17 AM »
i just enjoy listening to the 4th book of the alexia tarabotti series by gail carriger .
i think the creation of alexia the preternatural was a great idea! + she was able to give her vampires and werewolves her own note.