Departments > Books

Steam punk research reading list

(1/5) > >>

Miyabi:

So I've recently decided to pick up an old project of mine.  Reading through it I found quite a few good elements and some atrocious ones.  I realized I was very strong on the vampire mythos, but my world building sucked when I wrote it.  This lead me to decide I need to do a lot of steam punk reading to find what people have done.  So I can get some ideas on what to research specifically as well as make sure to not write something that has already been written.  (Yes, I said vampires and steam punk referring to the same project.)

I picked up a book by Cherie Priest today called Boneshaker.

My question to yous guys is, what books should I add to my list of books to read for well built steam punk worlds and cultures.

Silk:
A couple of steampunk stories have appeared at podcastle lately: Specifically, Daniel Abraham's "Balfour and Meriweather" and "To Follow The Waves" by Amal El-Mohtar. (Note that the latter feels a lot more like fantasy than steampunk to me, and it's also rated R for sexual content, though I didn't personally find it gratuitous or offensive.)

Boneshaker is probably a fairly good place to start. Scott Westerfeld's Leviathan seems to be held in fairly high regard, though I haven't read it myself.

I don't know steampunk all that well. If I think of anything else I'll let you know.

Miyabi:

Awesome!  Thanks!  This gives me a good base to start from. =]

dhalagirl:
I recently started compiling a steampunk reading list for work.  Besides Cherie Priest, I'd suggest Gail Carriger
Stephen Hunt and S.M. Peters.

Out of these, I've only read Carriger.  It's light on the steampunk, but the elements are there.  There's also a strong paranormal element. 

Silk:
Yes, Carriger's very light on the steampunk. I've only read the first, so maybe there's a bit more steampunk in the later books. Fun stuff, though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version