Author Topic: Unpublished Books  (Read 3536 times)

Argent

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Lord
    • View Profile
    • Wowhead
Unpublished Books
« on: January 18, 2011, 06:28:57 AM »
I was reading the transcript of the 17th Shard's interview with Brandon and noticed that whoever was asking the questions knew a terrible lot about books not yet written/published. There were several mentions of the Dragonsteel epic, and I am almost sure there was another book (maybe Scribbler?) that received a brief mention. There was a lot about Optimus The Way of Kings Prime. Can everybody access drafts and alpha versions of Brandon's books, or are those things reserved for only the selected few alpha readers? And if it's the latter, can anyone become an alpha reader, or does Brandon give early versions of his work only to friends?
Power doesn't always have to corrupt. In many ways, it can change a man for the better.

douglas

• Level 8
    • View Profile
Re: Unpublished Books
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 06:51:58 AM »
Dragonsteel was available to everyone (with patience) due to it being Brandon's thesis at BYU and therefore in their library - and available through interlibrary loan.  Last I heard that copy had gone missing, though, and it was only the one copy.

Scribbler was one of those little side projects he does occasionally from some years back but was never brought to a publishable state, and I think some sample chapters were made public online.  They might still be available if you can dig up the links.

I, personally, have not read either of them, I've just seen various references in discussion.

A fair number of details about Way of Kings Prime have been mentioned in blog posts and interviews by Brandon, and I'm guessing the questions about it were based on what he mentioned in those.

Argent

• Level 5
  • Lord
    • View Profile
    • Wowhead
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 07:14:23 AM »
And after a little research I found some old chapters of Liar of Partinel, which was that second book I couldn't remember the name of. I must admit, the first chapter is quite shocking, considering that I didn't know... some extra tidbits.
Power doesn't always have to corrupt. In many ways, it can change a man for the better.

andygal

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 08:12:13 AM »
 I believe Scribbler has been rebranded as the Rithmantist (sp) and is apparently going to  be published eventually.

Creative_Vortx

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 08:40:40 PM »
Hrm.. first time I've read that. I dunno how that slipped through my fingers. Great info tho.

I really do wish the unpublished works that have been seen by few would be made readily available to the general forum public. We aren't the casual reader and some if not all would really appreciate the inside look behind the curtain BS draws around his unpublished works (the ones that he doesn't plan to publish). At least the ones that aren't going to be cannibalized for other projects (much like pieces of Dragonsteel being taken for The Way of Kings).

OT: ArgentSun = same ArgentSun from Wowhead forums?
Maker of Days - Dubbed so by Miyabi

Recruit of the Omegas.

KhyEllie

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 08:59:49 PM »
I think Andigal is right, it was on his progress bars on his website, and I believe is now going by "The Rithmatist" and planned publication is a tentative spring 2012. If you look back far enough on Brandon's blogs, you can find the first three chapters of the original Scribbler.

Argent

• Level 5
  • Lord
    • View Profile
    • Wowhead
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 11:43:45 PM »

Yes.

On topic though, Brandon posts stuff in his blogs? When I Googled "Liar of Partinel," the one of the results' file was located under .../drafts/warbreaker, if I am not mistaken. An odd place for exclusive material - when I registered for the forums, I was under the impression that the mere act of registering would grant me access to a hidden section of the site/forum, where stuff like that would be kept in an archive.

Perhaps we can do that on the forums manually?

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 11:55:17 PM »

On topic though, Brandon posts stuff in his blogs? When I Googled "Liar of Partinel," the one of the results' file was located under .../drafts/warbreaker, if I am not mistaken. An odd place for exclusive material - when I registered for the forums, I was under the impression that the mere act of registering would grant me access to a hidden section of the site/forum, where stuff like that would be kept in an archive.

Perhaps we can do that on the forums manually?

Nah, there's no public repository of any of his unpublished works as far as i'm aware. In fact, most of that stuff is stuff that's just dished out by him personally to people he knows and trusts, but he occasionally talks about and posts snitchs and snatches here and there, though less so in recent days. I don't know how much you can find just by looking around these forums, but you may be able to find bits and pieces. You aren't likely to be able to find the entire original unpublished work around here anywhere.

Also, yes, Scribbler is going to be called  "The Rithmatist".
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2011, 12:55:51 AM »

You can find some of the unpublished stuff if you dig deep enough.

Sample chapters of Scribbler.
Sample chapters from two versions of "Dragonsteel: The Liar of Partinel"
ILL for Dragonsteel if it can be found.

As far as becoming an Alpha reader, it can happen, though it is a very long process.

I am a beta reader and that happened after having been reading Brandon's books, emailing him, and going to a lot of signings and such for about 5 years.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2011, 01:13:52 AM »

As far as becoming an Alpha reader, it can happen, though it is a very long process.

I am a beta reader and that happened after having been reading Brandon's books, emailing him, and going to a lot of signings and such for about 5 years.

you dont count. I still hold to my theory that you know essentially what brandon is writing even before he himself does.

But yeah, getting access to that stuff is far from an overnight process. One that i have no where near the moxy to set down the path of doing, so i just content myself with hanging around here, chatting it out, and poking fun at peter when he comes around.
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

Creative_Vortx

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2011, 05:29:45 PM »

you dont count. I still hold to my theory that you know essentially what brandon is writing even before he himself does.

But yeah, getting access to that stuff is far from an overnight process. One that i have no where near the moxy to set down the path of doing, so i just content myself with hanging around here, chatting it out, and poking fun at peter when he comes around.

I concur. It's very creepy when we start a random thread and Miyabi pulls knowledge outta his ass. Very creepy.
Maker of Days - Dubbed so by Miyabi

Recruit of the Omegas.

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2011, 05:50:42 PM »
One reason that Brandon doesn't post old drafts and books is because if they aren't workable, he'll cull stuff from them for later works and reading the earlier ones can act as spoilers.
If I had any clue, would I be here?

KhyEllie

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2011, 11:46:07 PM »
If you really really want to read the first three chapters of Scribbler, you can find their links on these three blog posts:

Chapter One:
http://brandonsanderson.com/blog/484/Scribbler-Chapter-One

Chapter Two:
http://brandonsanderson.com/blog/488/Scribbler-Chapter-2--Conduit

Chapter Three:
http://brandonsanderson.com/blog/492/Scribbler-Chapter-Three

Warning, it's kind of an annoying cliffhanger (right when things get good) and The Rithmatist will undoubtedly have plenty of changes.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 11:55:30 PM by KhyEllie »

dhalagirl

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2011, 04:12:42 AM »
Thanks for the links!  I know what I'll be reading this weekend!