Poll

Which do you think?

That Bill didn't even consider us when he ended CAH
0 (0%)
That Bill thought long and hard about his desicion and had good reason to end it.
6 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Author Topic: Bill Watterson: Cruel loony or tender, loving cartoonist?  (Read 1688 times)

T-Square

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: -3
    • View Profile
Bill Watterson: Cruel loony or tender, loving cartoonist?
« on: January 09, 2011, 04:40:27 AM »
For many years, Bill Watterson was at the top of the heap when it came to cartoons. He ran the beloved Calvin & Hobbes, an amazing comic strip about a strange six-year-old named Calvin, who has a stuffed animal named Hobbes, who looks like a real tiger when Calvin is around him but looks ordinary to everyone else (either he comes alive when Calvin is alone with him or he is a figment of Calvin's imagination, that part is never quite clear). But then, twelve years ago, Calvin and Hobbes was mysteriously canceled, leaving many unanswered questions:
WHY did Watterson end it when he was at the top of his game?
Did he even CONSIDER his loving fans and the effect it would have on them?
WHY  has Bill remained in the shadows all this time, wasting his talents?
Well, I was dying to know the answer too, so I posted this. Vote, and then post a comment telling me what YOU think.

Hero of Ages

• Level 6
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Bill Watterson: Cruel loony or tender, loving cartoonist?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 05:42:11 AM »
Bill wrote about his reasoning in the last Calvin and Hobbes collection.  The gist of it is that he was tired of the grind of 7 days a week comics and more tired of the publishers/newspapers/agents/comic artist syndicate and how they were trying to dictate to Bill how to do his comic.  If only he had waited 2-3 more years to bail, he could have switched to a different medium, like, say the internet.  There are TONS of web-only comics that thrive.  And besides, it isn't like he was a new comic strip, just starting out, with no audience.  He had a HUGE audience already and most of them (me included) would have followed him where ever he tool Calvin and Hobbes.

You can read more on it here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Watterson.
I must not fear;
Fear is the mind killer;
I will face my fear;
I will let it pass through me;
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing;
Only I will remain.
-Paul Muad'dib Atreides-

Anticipation of death is worse than death itself.
-Me-

hubay

• Level 7
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Bill Watterson: Cruel loony or tender, loving cartoonist?
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 06:12:51 PM »
(bumps over spam)