Author Topic: What We've Learned in 2010  (Read 1625 times)

fireflyz

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
What We've Learned in 2010
« on: December 30, 2010, 02:43:29 PM »
Since it's the end of the year, I wanted to start a thread concerning what we've learned in 2010.  This could be anything from writing mechanics, to ideas, to querying, etc.  Pretty much anything writing related.  There's a lot of good information out there on agents blogs and the like, but sometimes it's nice to hear from those of us in the trenches.  Here's my list.

1.  Passive voice is insidious.  It might take several read throughs before it is completely eliminated.

2.  Attending conventions is a must.  From what I've experienced speaking face to face with an agent changes the rules.  Instead of just being one more query on the towering slush pile, suddenly you are an in individual.  I've only attended one convention, but from what I saw you might be competing with only a dozen or so other aspiring authors.  Much better than 200 other queries in one week.

3.  Research agents.  I've been guilty of querying any agent that says they will accept fantasy.  Fantasy/sci-fi have grown so diverse now that there are many subgenres.  I used to subscribe to the shotgun effect, picking 5 or 6 dream agents, 5 or 6 agents I've heard of, and 5 or 6 I don't know well and querying two from each list at a time.  More and more I'm convinced this is a mistake.  In the future I'm going to tailor my queries to agents who represent authors who I think are in the same vein as my writing.

4.  Shorter sentences, and in general, shorter chapters equals better writing.

5.  Rough outlining of character arcs and plot arcs works the best for me.  I still like to discovery write, but within the confines of an outline.

6.  Read more!  I've been a voracious reader since I was 4, alternating between Reader's Digest and the Bible (I know right?).  The past year I've still read a lot, but there have been weeks where I haven't cracked the cover of a book.  Now that I'm back into constantly reading, I'm realizing what a mistake that was.  Stephen King is right, the two rules for good writing are:  read constantly and write constantly.

7.  Do not query unless you're 100% sure that your manuscript is ready to go.  If an agent responds back immediately asking for more and you're not convinced its ready, it's going to put a lot of stress on you. 

8.  Set a schedule and stick to it.  I know some people that only write on the weekends for several hours at a time.  I can't do that.  I have to write something every day.  When I first started out I would shoot for a word count like 2k words.  Now I write the entire scene for the day.  It could be 1500 words or it could be 4500 words.  I don't stop until it's done. 

9.  If you have the means, pick up an mp3 player and listen to writing excuses, audiobooks, etc. in the car on the way to work.  Immersing yourself in writing during any spare time you have sets you up for success.

10.  Everyone's different, find what works for you and run with it. 

11.Don't be afraid to experiment with your work.  It's not finished until it's in print.

What have you learned in the past year?
Follow my journey from aspiring author to published phenom.  Along the way we'll discover the dos and don'ts of successful writing!

http://twitter.com/ryanvanloan

LongTimeUnderdog

• Level 9
    • View Profile
Re: What We've Learned in 2010
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 06:27:11 PM »
1.  Only I know everything I know.  I can't expect other people to have vast amount of trivia in my head, in theirs.  Not to be rude, but that's what I learned.

2.  Some people only like what some authors do because of the author, not the book.

3.  Sometimes, you really do have to hold people's hands and take them through it.

4.  No one really likes a hero, no matter how much they say otherwise.

5.  Outlining helps me keep on task.  But I never stick to it anyway.

6.  It's okay to be bad.  Everything can be fixed or improved.

dhalagirl

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2010, 06:52:23 AM »
1. I am my own worst enemy.

2. It's ok to need someone to hold your hand.

3. It's ok to have a crappy first draft.

4. Listening to Pandora when iTunes is only a click away is a bad idea.

5. Trying to type around the cat doesn't work.

6. Don't let sticker shock stop you from going to a writing workshop or buying a Mac.  If you can afford to go, do it.  Think of it as an investment in your future.

7. Never saying "good luck" on opening night is not just a theater superstition, it's a fact.  I have the scar to prove it.

8. Keeping back up files up to date is a really good idea.

9. Don't be afraid to overwrite a scene.  Too much is better than too little.

10.  Don't believe friends and family members that say you don't have what it takes to be a writer.

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 01:36:35 AM »

7. Never saying "good luck" on opening night is not just a theater superstition, it's a fact.  I have the scar to prove it.

Sounds like there might be a story in that one somewhere. :P

dhalagirl

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2011, 10:25:23 AM »
Oh yeah.  Opening night of "Beauty and the Beast" one of the new stage hands wishes me "good luck" seconds before I walk on stage.  About half an hour later during the bar scene with Gaston I trip down the stairs (on stage) and nearly break my leg.  The bruise and floor burn covered half of my shin and took 3 months to heal.   :'(