Author Topic: TWOK Casting  (Read 6580 times)

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Re: TWOK Casting
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2011, 08:33:46 AM »
Kate & Leopold is great, but Hugh Jackman is only 42 years old. ;) I think Liam Neeson could do it though I picture someone who's really built. And Helen Mirren is a decade too old.

I know, I'm being a bit silly with the age thing, but...
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Obsessiforge

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2011, 02:15:05 AM »

You ain't seen silly yet.

Dalinar: Taylor Lautner
Kaladin: Sean Connery
Jasnah: Betty White
Navani: Kristin Stewart
Elhokar: Dakota Fanning
Hoid: Tom Cruise
Rock: Justin Beiber

KhyEllie

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2011, 08:40:19 PM »
ROFL

It's been suggested that Aaron Eckhart play Adolin, but purely based on the pictures I've seen he looks more like Elhokar to me. Other than that, I really like everything on Dhalagirl's list.

dhalagirl

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2011, 07:57:45 AM »

You ain't seen silly yet.

Dalinar: Taylor Lautner
Kaladin: Sean Connery
Jasnah: Betty White
Navani: Kristin Stewart
Elhokar: Dakota Fanning
Hoid: Tom Cruise
Rock: Justin Beiber

That's painful! :'(   Although, you should have added Kermit the frog as Shallan.

Hey Peter, how about posting a list of your own. ;D

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2011, 12:17:54 AM »
I don't know enough actors. Plus it's kind of like what Brandon says when people ask him this question. He doesn't cast actors for characters in his head. The characters are individual people who are all not those actors.

When I'm reading a book, I don't usually get too clear of a picture of the characters in my head, but I don't think of actors either.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Inkthinker

• Level 11
  • Animation and Illustration
    • View Profile
    • inkthinker.deviantart.com
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2011, 12:17:33 PM »
Casting also flies in the face of his general preference for not defining characters' appearances. S'why we don't draw official character portraits for the book.

Ironically, I find I like that policy. There's no casting that's going to make everyone happy, 'cause we've all got a unique internalized image of any character we imagine through written descriptions.

For example, as much as I've enjoyed the casting of A Game of Thrones, I don't know that I care for the matches between some of the characters and the actors portraying them. I hope to be won over by their performances, but in terms of just "looks" it's a crapshoot.  The only casting I think everyone's happy with is Dinklage, but even there I imagined Tyrion being a good bit uglier than he is.

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2011, 05:58:19 PM »
A bit off topic and all, but Peter, don't you think Jackman would make a great Nalesean or even Talmanes?
You can always get what you want if you never count the cost.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2011, 08:10:21 PM »
Possibly, but he's not who I would picture for either role.

CabbyHat

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2011, 04:48:19 PM »
I don't think we're trying to decide what the characters look like, we're just pondering over who would do a good job of portraying them. (At least I am.) For me the casting of a movie based on a book has never really had much bearing on how I picture the characters. For example, I've always had very clear pictures of what the characters in Lord of the Rings look like, and despite really enjoying the movies and thinking the actors did a great job I still picture the characters as being completely different. If there was a movie made of The Way of Kings, it likely wouldn't do much to affect my personal opinion of how the characters look.
Just an idle comment. My comments are often idle. I can never get them to do any solid work.

Obsessiforge

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2011, 01:18:00 AM »
I don't think we're trying to decide what the characters look like, we're just pondering over who would do a good job of portraying them. (At least I am.) For me the casting of a movie based on a book has never really had much bearing on how I picture the characters. For example, I've always had very clear pictures of what the characters in Lord of the Rings look like, and despite really enjoying the movies and thinking the actors did a great job I still picture the characters as being completely different. If there was a movie made of The Way of Kings, it likely wouldn't do much to affect my personal opinion of how the characters look.

What Cabbyhat said. Its more about acting chops than about physical descriptors. That's why I stick to my original list, despite the "Alethis are tanner than that" lobby.

I laugh at your lobby.

socom-delta

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2011, 04:48:05 AM »

Hoid - John Lithgow

Have at ye!

I don't know about all the rest, but that one SCREAMED at me right away.