Author Topic: Recommend a book  (Read 19574 times)

Sir_Read-a-Lot

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
  • This isn't just any text - This is Personal!
    • View Profile
Re: Recommend a book
« Reply #60 on: August 09, 2011, 03:34:40 AM »
hmmm - maybe I read too much...

Not possible.  Period.   ;D
“Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise.”  - Alice in Wonderland

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 09, 2011, 05:21:16 PM »
I listened to the first Song of Albion book in audio (got it from the library), and man, the characters were really annoying people. At the end I was only very mildly curious about what happened next, so I read the Wikipedia summaries and decided I wasn't missing anything.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

old aggie

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 09, 2011, 10:09:05 PM »
Really, Peter?

Because Lawhead's characters remind me a lot of Brandon's, in that they're well-rounded, and that there is considerable character development over the series arc.

It probably also helped that I was not at all familiar with Celtic mythology, so if there were "tropes," they meant nothing to me.

The triology is really about leadership: What does it take to be a leader? How is a leader's character formed? How does a person learn to believe in themself in a way that inspires others to do the same? Brandon's books also remind me of that aspect.

And then there were the gnomic passages (as in rhetoric - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gnome_%28rhetoric%29) - those reminded me of LoR.

But to each their own - glad we have such a wealth of choices.  :) I want to look up some of the others suggested here.