Author Topic: Recommend a book  (Read 19576 times)

Inkthinker

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Animation and Illustration
    • View Profile
    • inkthinker.deviantart.com
Re: Recommend a book
« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2011, 07:10:05 AM »
The Neverending Story (the movie) covers only one half of the original novel. When Bastien and the Childlike Empress are holding a single shining grain which is all that remains of Fantastica (must confess, Fantasia is a better name), that's barely halfway through the novel.

That terrible sequel film covers the other half, sort of, but it's not very good.

Suggestions for fantasy that defies cliches (aside from Brandon)

China Meiville's Bas-Lag novels (Perdido Street Station, The Scar, Iron Council)
Terry Pratchett's Discworld (more like it turns cliches inside out. I like to suggest starting with Guards! Guards! , which is pretty much all about counter-tropes)
Joe Abercrombie's First Law series (though I much prefer the stand-alone sequels Best Served Cold, which is a brilliant revenge novel, and The Heroes, which is a great battle novel).

Jason R. Peters

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2011, 02:58:32 PM »
The Neverending Story (the movie) covers only one half of the original novel. When Bastien and the Childlike Empress are holding a single shining grain which is all that remains of Fantastica (must confess, Fantasia is a better name), that's barely halfway through the novel.

It isn't even just the time-framing of the films which horrifies. Even the first movie (which is better than the others, and that ain't saying much) outright discarded most of the concepts from the book.

The whole book is about Bastion's ability to love, and this is completely absent from the first movie.

Even the fantasy elements which made the book so memorable were thrown out. This is not a complaint that Gimli's beard was 3 shades redder in the original LOTR, these are major, damaging changes. Just for example's sake, the Southern Oracle was a moving voice that only speaks and hears in verse, was basically changed to a giant statue. What? Gorgommon, Yor, and Dame Eyola were very important characters in Bastion's development as character, and Gmork was one of the most fascinating villains in fiction because he told Atreyu the truth.

All the power and majesty of those events, such as Bastion creating bioluminescant jungle from pure thought, GONE. Bastion going from cowardly and weak to handsom, strong and brave, and the CONSEQUENCES thereof were incredible.

When I was a kid, I liked the movie, and I still think it makes a decent kids movie -- nothing on par with Holes or Toy Story, though, but in fact the book was one of the most powerful I've ever read.

Golden Dragon

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 05, 2011, 02:58:56 AM »
In non-fiction, I thoroughly enjoyed three of Malcolm Gladwell's books: Tipping Point, Blink and Outliers. Those are actual page-turners in non-fiction.

Well, if we are gonna start recommending non-fiction, then I gotta say that Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer is a great read.

MissGnomer

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2011, 04:21:46 PM »
In non-fiction, I thoroughly enjoyed three of Malcolm Gladwell's books: Tipping Point, Blink and Outliers. Those are actual page-turners in non-fiction.

Well, if we are gonna start recommending non-fiction, then I gotta say that Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer is a great read.

I agree with both of these recommendations! I really like Malcolm Gladwell, and Krakauer is a great writer as well. I very much liked "Under the Banner of Heaven" (although Brandon probably wouldn't care for it very much, given the subject matter).

Hero of Ages

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 06, 2011, 06:20:17 AM »
I agree with both of these recommendations! I really like Malcolm Gladwell, and Krakauer is a great writer as well. I very much liked "Under the Banner of Heaven" (although Brandon probably wouldn't care for it very much, given the subject matter).

I don't know why.  He is LDS (and for the sake of disclosure, I am too) not fundamentalist Mormon.  The fundamentalists Mormons split from the LDS faith over 100 years ago and have about as much to do with it as the Lutherans had to do with the Catholic church 100 years after their split.
I must not fear;
Fear is the mind killer;
I will face my fear;
I will let it pass through me;
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing;
Only I will remain.
-Paul Muad'dib Atreides-

Anticipation of death is worse than death itself.
-Me-

MissGnomer

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2011, 01:18:39 AM »

I don't know why.  He is LDS (and for the sake of disclosure, I am too) not fundamentalist Mormon.  The fundamentalists Mormons split from the LDS faith over 100 years ago and have about as much to do with it as the Lutherans had to do with the Catholic church 100 years after their split.

Sure, I understand the difference. I honestly can't speak for how an LDS person would view the book. I think Krakauer does a pretty good job of remaining neutral in most of his work, but I thought his presentation of the history of Mormonism had an unfavorable slant. But again, I really shouldn't try to speak for an LDS person; I was just speculating. No offense intended. Have you read it, and if so, do you think Krakauer was guilty of editorializing at all? (Sorry to go off topic)

Hero of Ages

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 11, 2011, 07:33:22 AM »
Sure, I understand the difference. I honestly can't speak for how an LDS person would view the book. I think Krakauer does a pretty good job of remaining neutral in most of his work, but I thought his presentation of the history of Mormonism had an unfavorable slant. But again, I really shouldn't try to speak for an LDS person; I was just speculating. No offense intended. Have you read it, and if so, do you think Krakauer was guilty of editorializing at all? (Sorry to go off topic)

I haven't read it but I have heard about it.  From what I have heard he does a good job of telling the story but that he does have a slightly slanted/biased position against the LDS church.  In my experience that is pretty much par for the course.  Very few books about the LDS church, or and church for that matter, have a "favorable" slant, unless they are written by members (and then the slant is usually much more than favorable! lol).  We all have our passions and beliefs and it is very difficult to keep them from showing up in things like books.  That is not to say it is a bad thing, as long as we admit/own up to our biases and, if at all possible, limit their pervasiveness and influence on our work.

BTW, no offense was taken even before you said that none was intended.
I must not fear;
Fear is the mind killer;
I will face my fear;
I will let it pass through me;
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing;
Only I will remain.
-Paul Muad'dib Atreides-

Anticipation of death is worse than death itself.
-Me-

Adrienne

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 13, 2011, 10:49:22 PM »
Is anyone here on goodreads?

Inkthinker

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2011, 04:18:37 AM »
I recommend the new George RR Martin, "A Dance With Dragons". I'm only a bit into it, but so far it's sooo good.  ;D

Shiael

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 05, 2011, 03:04:27 AM »
I just started game of thrones :D
Nothing is ever easy...

Segren

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 05, 2011, 09:39:44 PM »
The Night Angel trilogy by Brent Weeks was a fun read, with relatable characters, a well-developed magic system, and enough plots/action to keep the pages turning! (though the ending seemed a bit rushed, unfortunately, but still worthwhile, overall)

Inkthinker

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 06, 2011, 02:24:05 AM »
The latest in Jim Butcher's "The Dresden Files" was pretty dang brilliant. If you only know the series through that awful TV adaptation, I highly advise giving it a chance... the show had pretty much nothing in common with the books, aside from the names. They changed most everything else about it, from the main character to the settings, and completely failed to hold up the wit or the characterizations of the novels.

Currently reading the second in the 'Gaunt's Ghosts" omnibuses (omnibi?), set in the Warhammer 40K universe. Good military sci-fi with a rich setting. Also simultaneously reading "Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency", which I somehow missed... I've read "The Long, Dark Tea-time of the Soul" at least three times, but somehow never read the other.

And Larry Corriea has a third "Monster Hunter" novel. I've panned the first in that series as a Mary Sue, but the second was much improved and I'm looking forward to seeing if he can maintain that upward arc.

Sir_Read-a-Lot

• Level 2
  • This isn't just any text - This is Personal!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 07, 2011, 07:21:54 AM »
The Passage by Justin Cronin is good.  It's post apocalyptic, and an excellent read.

The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch is an incredible heist novel.  Kelsier would be proud.  Just be warned, there is heavy swearing.
“Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise.”  - Alice in Wonderland

Shiael

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 07, 2011, 06:34:26 PM »
dont you hate it when you get the first book, finish it, and the next one isn't at the library?!?!?!?!
Nothing is ever easy...

old aggie

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 09, 2011, 01:54:29 AM »
I don't see any of these listed here - sorry if I missed & am duplicating:

FICTION

The Monster Blood Tattoo trilogy (Foundling, Lamplighter and Factotum) by D.M. Cornish (http://monsterbloodtattoo.blogspot.com/) - amazing YA fantasy; rivals LoR, IMO - a MUST read!!

The Song of Albion Cycle trilogy (The Paradise War, The Silver Hand and The Endless Knot) by Stephen Lawhead; his later works aren't as good

the Bryant and May series of mysteries by Christopher Fowler

the Chet and Bernie series of mysteries by Spencer Quinn

the Jon and Lobo sci-fi series by Mark VanName

_anything_ by John Scalzi, especially the Old Man's War books

NONFICTION

"Made to Stick" and "Switch" by the Heath brothers (business)

"If Harry Potter Ran General Electric" by Tom Morris (business/philosophy)

"The Secret Life of the Grown-Up Brain" by Barbara Strauch

"The Reason for God" by Tim Keller (FYI - not LDS)

hmmm - maybe I read too much...