Author Topic: WOK Cover Art Questions  (Read 4683 times)

SamuelR

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
WOK Cover Art Questions
« on: December 20, 2010, 05:36:03 AM »
Hey all

One thing that has been bothering me is that I've never been quite sure what the http://img230.imageshack.us/i/wokwallpaper2560x1600mo.jpg/ cover of The Way Of Kings exactly depicts.

Clearly it's the Shattered Plains, I assume that's a highstorm coming, and a figure in Shardplate standing? But what actual scene from the book is it?

Also, does anybody know if the next 9 books will have covers by Welan aswell? Wouldn't that be incredible! Although it could be interesting to see different styles too, I suppose.

Thanks  :)

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
Re: WOK Cover Art Questions
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 03:45:33 PM »
Hey all

One thing that has been bothering me is that I've never been quite sure what the http://img230.imageshack.us/i/wokwallpaper2560x1600mo.jpg/ cover of The Way Of Kings exactly depicts.

Clearly it's the Shattered Plains, I assume that's a highstorm coming, and a figure in Shardplate standing? But what actual scene from the book is it?

Also, does anybody know if the next 9 books will have covers by Welan aswell? Wouldn't that be incredible! Although it could be interesting to see different styles too, I suppose.

Thanks  :)

I've assumed that that was Dalinar and the Parshendi shardbearer saluting each other.  But if anyone has any other suggestions, I'm game.
Nature hates being reified.

Tasslehoof

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 09:45:41 PM »
I think Dalinar and the Parshendi shardbearer makes the most sense, I don't remember there being a highstorm at the time, but it might just be there to sort of depict what they look like.  The art was very well done, and the highstorm and the Shattered Plains themselves made the cover amazing by themselves.
Now why'd you have to go and push that button?!

- Famous Words of Doom.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 10:11:10 PM »
It's not a specific moment in the book. The people do represent Dalinar and the Parshendi Shardbearer, except Dalinar is wearing the wrong color. But there wasn't a highstorm going on at the time, and there would have been more people around. :)
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

XJface

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 03:43:21 AM »
Dalinar and the Parshendi Shardbearer? Seriously? Which is which?  ???

I thought it was pretty clear after reading it that it was the Parshendi Shardbearer in the front with his red cape and Kaladin in the back with his spear and a shield on his back.

Inkthinker

• Level 11
  • Animation and Illustration
    • View Profile
    • inkthinker.deviantart.com
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 04:05:07 AM »
It's important to remember, the cover art for the book was drafted and then painted months before the final text of the book was established. Heck, if Whelan actually read even a rough draft of the novel when he did this, I'll be greatly surprised.

It's pretty rare for any book cover, especially on a first run, to accurately depict any actual scene from the book itself. I still remember the original Josh Kirby cover to Pratchett's The Colour of Magic which distinctly showed Twoflower having four eyes... and to be sure, when we first see Twoflower described, the term "four eyes" is used, but it doesn't take much further reading to recognize that Twoflower A)wears glasses, B)is a satire of an Asian tourist, and C) is being described by a drunk. He should not have four actual eyes in his head. But Kirby was working from a partial description on a book he had never read, and so it was an easy mistake to make.

That may be Dalinar and the Parshendi Shardbearer (I had thought it was Kaladin in the distance myself), but if you're looking for an exact representation of a scene in the book I expect you'll want to wait until they publish a second edition.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 04:11:16 AM by Inkthinker »

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 04:28:49 AM »
Michael Whelan did indeed read the whole book before painting the cover. And he recently reread it by listening to the audiobook, before he did the individual drawings in the limited edition of 12 cover prints.

And I expect this image will always be used on the book's US edition. It is going to be on the paperback. (It always looked more like a paperback cover design to me, with the huge BRANDON SANDERSON.)
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Stormblessed

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2010, 03:16:44 AM »
Talking about front covers. Which character is suppose to be displayed on the front of the UK cover: http://stormlightarchive.wikia.com/index.php?title=Special:NewFiles&image=Way_of_kings_uk-png?
"You've killed me. Bastards, you've killed me!
 -- Darkeyed Soldier

Tasslehoof

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2010, 05:52:01 AM »
Talking about front covers. Which character is suppose to be displayed on the front of the UK cover: http://stormlightarchive.wikia.com/index.php?title=Special:NewFiles&image=Way_of_kings_uk-png?

Not sure.. Dalinar or his son perhaps?  But I personally am not really a fan of the UK cover.  The art is great, but it puts too much of a familiar look to the shardplate, instead of "otherworldly" and awesome beyond words :p

- Famous Words of Doom.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2010, 06:55:54 PM »
I haven't heard that it's anyone in particular. The UK cover art style is basically continuing the theme from their Mistborn covers, which is a decent marketing decision. But I don't like the cover much at all.

Inkthinker

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2010, 08:43:00 AM »
Michael Whelan did indeed read the whole book before painting the cover. And he recently reread it by listening to the audiobook, before he did the individual drawings in the limited edition of 12 cover prints

Well color me greatly surprised. Is that becoming a more common practice amongst artists? I guess it helps that we've moved beyond the phase where the artist would have needed to have the manuscript shipped to him.

I'm hoping someday we'll to get to see more than a peek at the 12 sketches Whelan did. That one photo Brandon tweeted is incredibly cool.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 08:46:53 AM by Inkthinker »

dhalagirl

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2010, 07:53:37 AM »
Is there any possibility that with the second book there will be more concept sketches released for fans to ogle?  It was really interesting seeing the two of Mr. Whelan's that were posted on Tor's site.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2010, 04:08:09 AM »
Michael Whelan won't do a cover unless he likes a book. That's where he is in his career. He actually hardly ever does covers anymore--he's more focused on fine art.

Inkthinker

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2010, 05:35:56 AM »
Is there any possibility that with the second book there will be more concept sketches released for fans to ogle?  It was really interesting seeing the two of Mr. Whelan's that were posted on Tor's site.

Do you have a link? I've seen the one that Brandon tweeted (Kaladin attacking the Shardbearer) but I'm dying to see more of them.

Tasslehoof

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2010, 09:31:18 AM »
Yeah, I'd really like to see some of that concept stuff too!  Also, I finally got around to checking out your DeviantArt Ink, you're amazing!!  I need to get around to making one of those to post some of my sketches I've done over the past few years, and you've given me ideas for new ones!

- Famous Words of Doom.