Poll

what is your favorite book by brandon sanderson!

way of kings
20 (58.8%)
mistborn (trilogy)
11 (32.4%)
elantris
1 (2.9%)
warbreaker
2 (5.9%)
alkatraz
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Author Topic: favorite sanderson book?  (Read 3670 times)

echigo109

• Level 4
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
favorite sanderson book?
« on: October 13, 2010, 02:03:12 AM »
mine is Way of kings!!

jkincaid

• Level 2
    • View Profile
Re: favorite sanderson book?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 02:31:53 AM »
It's really hard to say here, I loved every one of Brandon's books, I read Elantris when it was first in paper back and if I hadn't thought it was great, I never would have picked up Mistborn 1, and if I hadn't loved Mistborn 1 I likely wouldn't have picked up Mistborn 2, and so on and so forth.  I rather enjoyed Warbreaker, but not more so than Mistborn, and so when I started reading Way of Kings, I wasn't sure it would be better.  I know Brandon had said Way of Kings was one of the best books he'd ever written.  I didn't start to agree until just over half way through Way of Kings.  Pretty soon I found myself totally immersed in the world, cheering the characters on, even wanting more of Shallan's story, and she'd been my least favorite character for the first half of the book.  Anyway, by the end, I found myself absolutely loving Way of Kings, and that has become my new favorite.   

Perhaps there should be a spoiler tag over this post since I brought up spoilers
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 02:39:02 AM by jkincaid »

Lord Terrisman

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 03:50:29 AM »
I don't know.  I'm so torn, I love them all.  Elantris is amazing, but I'm leaning towards the Mistborn trilogy because the first two books are my favorite  Sanderson book but the third one is my least favorite one.  Also Way of Kings is sooo good ( I just finished it about 10 minutes ago).  Any insight to my dilemma?  I am absolutely willing for people to pull me in many diffrent directions.

P.S-  Jkincaid I totally agree with you I thought Shallan was really annoying and just wanted to skip her viewpoint until half way through.  Then for the last one hundred pages I just couldn't get enough of her, though I think that's mainly because Jasnah is insanely awesome!

Stormblessed

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 09:36:04 AM »
I just love allomancy. I could just imagine using allomancy in todays society, with metal being just about everywhere.
"You've killed me. Bastards, you've killed me!
 -- Darkeyed Soldier

Celegus

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 06:12:04 PM »
Obviously I love them all, but Mistborn is the current winner. It's hard to say which of the three was my favorite because I read them one after another in such a short time, but I can easily see SA becoming my favorite once we're a few books in.

I too didn't care for Shallan at first. It was like..."Oh, hi again Sarene". Turning point for her was definitely the night in the alley, everything after that was much more interesting.

cromptj

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2010, 10:58:15 PM »
My favourite was definitely WoK. the world building and character arc and just general storyline were much better than in BS's earlier books.(not that they were bad in the first place but in elantris, Raoden and Sarene were pretty static) I think that working on the WoT has really progressed BS as an author and improved his forshadowing and character development.

Tasslehoof

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2010, 11:20:31 PM »
Mistborn.  First Sanderson book I read (other than Gathering Storm, which I don't count as his even if he did an amazing job with it).  Mistborn just had me hooked, all 3, the whole way through... I just love the ideas of allomancy, and it made sense to me.  I often find myself thinking, I could totally use this metal to make this task easier.
Now why'd you have to go and push that button?!

- Famous Words of Doom.

Fireborn

• Level 9
  • Geniusness Explosion!
    • View Profile
    • Rampant And Rhetoric
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2010, 01:30:39 AM »
Mistborn was the first one I read and my absolute favorite.  The magic is just so...it's basically straight endorphins for the OCD part of my brain.
When to live is to die, and to die is to live, does either really matter?

Pechvarry

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2010, 05:25:59 PM »
3 days later and I'm still the only vote for Warbreaker!  Gooo me!  The Mercenaries?  LIGHTSONG?  But the humor's not why it gets my vote.  It's because by the end of the book, it's the one world I want to know the most about.  The stuff Vasher says in the last few chapters have me wanting that sequel yesterday.

Erunion

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2010, 06:08:01 PM »
I really, really liked Warbreaker. But I just loved Way of Kings. And Mistborn. I liked Elantris, but not as much as the others.
It's like asking me whether I prefer French Silk Pie, Texas Brownies or Triple Chocolate Cake. They're all so full of chocolatey goodness, how can I choose?
So naturally, I picked the biggest one!  ;D

Celegus

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2010, 06:17:32 PM »
Haha, now that's a good way to put it! You're making me hungry though...

calvin

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2010, 06:44:56 PM »
Someone needs to add the unpublished books in there, too. 
If everyone else sits back and does nothing, the bad guy wins.

Lord Terrisman

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2010, 07:43:28 PM »
After all the internal struggle I picked the Mistborn Trilogy.  Not saying that I don't absolutely love Way of Kings and Elantris it's just Mistborn was the first Brandon Sanderson book I had read and it was unique and straight forward.  Versus Way of Kings I still have some questions that need to be answered.

Salkara

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2010, 08:04:26 PM »
Without a doubt I have to go with Mistborn. I absolutely love Way of Kings, but it's too new. At this point I can't tell how much my view of the novel is influenced by it's newness, whereas with Mistborn, I know I love all it's parts. The beginning, middle, end, and everything in between is just so good. That said, if the Stormlight Archives live up to the promises made in Way of Kings, Mistborn will be #2.

CabbyHat

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2010, 09:30:37 AM »
It's odd, but in a way, Way of Kings is my favourite because of Elantris. I've read Elantris three times now and I just can't put it down at any point. Raoden's arc is just fascinating - I adore watching him be thrown into this impossible, hopeless situation completely blind, and pull together what he finds around him to make something that's downright glorious. That's the same thing that enthralled me in Kaladin's chapters in WoK, and those were the best part of the entire book. :)
Just an idle comment. My comments are often idle. I can never get them to do any solid work.