Author Topic: knights radient  (Read 15991 times)

happyman

• Level 17
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: knights radient
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2011, 04:35:14 PM »

You know, the scene where the Knights Radiant gave up has always seemed more than a little bit unusual to me.

In the other visions Dalinar saw, even for other parts of that same vision, things seemed "normal" until the Almighty patched in his extra message.  Humans reacted in the way humans normally react.  We didn't have the complete background, but that's OK; the feeling that it's there never really seemed to waver.  But with that vision---things seemed really, really odd.  Why didn't the Knights Radiant respond to Dalinar's questions?  Why didn't they at least say something to the people they were abandoning?  That whole scene seemed like a nightmare, not a piece of history.  Something happened with that vision, and I'm not sure what, exactly.  I don't think it's a "Odium tampered with the visions," not the same way it happened in Mistborn.  But something seems really, really off.
Quite possibly. But I don't think the whole vision was tampered with. Only the end part. The beginning feels normal enough.

Very true.  The beginning is normal enough.  It's just when Dalinar runs out and tries to talk to the radiants that things pick up a surreal feel.  It's almost like that bit isn't literally true, but rather symbolic, if that makes any sense.  Maybe the context is such that it makes sense, if we knew more history.
Nature hates being reified.

CabbyHat

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2011, 01:52:56 AM »
The spren affinity has some logic.  The problem I have with that theory, however, is the lack of spren in Dalinar's visions.  There are none and there are still Knights Radient...

Just a wild theory that just jumped to mind... but what if there are no spren in the visions because they were all bound to Radiants? After the Radiants fell, their spren were all abandoned to just wander through the world, mindless and without memories, like Syl was. After a while people just got so used to seeing them around that they took them to be a natural part of life.
Just an idle comment. My comments are often idle. I can never get them to do any solid work.

Stormblessed

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2011, 01:09:10 AM »

Just a wild theory that just jumped to mind... but what if there are no spren in the visions because they were all bound to Radiants? After the Radiants fell, their spren were all abandoned to just wander through the world, mindless and without memories, like Syl was. After a while people just got so used to seeing them around that they took them to be a natural part of life.

I vaguely recall Brandon or Peter somewhere saying that not all spren can bond with people. So therefore there should still be some spren left in the world.
"You've killed me. Bastards, you've killed me!
 -- Darkeyed Soldier

EvilNuff

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2011, 01:41:13 AM »
My supposition is that the spren that bond with the nahal (sp?) bond was it? are special spren and the other spren came about after the stormfather's death.

andygal

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2011, 02:37:03 AM »
It's spelled Nahel.

Also, the Stormfather (Jezrien) might or might not be dead, the Almighty is dead.

cromptj

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2011, 11:56:28 PM »
On the subject of Szeth, it is possible that Syl was the spren that bonded with him as Syl cannot remember much over a year ago and Szeth never thinks about his bond in his POVs.
As Brandon has mentioned that this book would be like an Age of Legends rather than an Age of Illusions, I think it is safe to guess that there will be a lot more spren binding in the future- assuming that it is the spren that will take Roshar into an AoL and not the mass production and use of fabrials.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 12:01:19 AM by cromptj »

Argent

• Level 5
  • Lord
    • View Profile
    • Wowhead
« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2011, 06:45:57 AM »
@cromptj, I believe that the honorspren binding to Surgebinders are what gives them their abilities. It's a mutual relationship - the human gets Surgebinding, the spred gets... well, humanity. So Szeth's connection with his spren has been severed somehow, he'd lose his abilities.
Power doesn't always have to corrupt. In many ways, it can change a man for the better.

andygal

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2011, 07:54:01 AM »
I think the superspren, the ones that bond to people and grant them abilities,  like honorspren and the symbolspren/truthspren whatever you want to call them that Shallan talks to are deliberately created Splinters of the Almighty's Shard he made a long time ago, like the divine Breath that  empowers the Returned.  The other spren are the pieces that Almighty's Shard was broken into after Odium killed him. That's why they don't show up in Dalinar's visions, cause those were all recorded before the Almighty died.

cromptj

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 21, 2011, 06:54:44 PM »
@Argent, if that is the case, then why does Szeth not mention his spren at all? With all the talking that Syl does, I would be surprised if Szeth's spren was completely inactive.

Argent

• Level 5
  • Lord
    • View Profile
    • Wowhead
« Reply #54 on: February 22, 2011, 07:54:37 AM »
I have no answer. It may have to do with that it means to be a Truthless. But I am certain that when Syl offered to leave Kaladin, she said that if she did so, the changes happening to both of them would revert - he would lose his powers and she would go back to being silly. I could give you the benefit of the doubt, assuming that Syl doesn't know for sure whether these things would happen (and Brandon likes doing stuff like that), but her words come as close to truth as we've seen in the book.
Power doesn't always have to corrupt. In many ways, it can change a man for the better.