Author Topic: 17th Shard Interview Transcript ***Warning: Spoilers for ALL Cosmere Books***  (Read 6863 times)

Morderkaine

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
I have transcribed most* of the interview - including um's, uh's, stuttering and other such things - that the folks in charge of The 17th Shard did back in August and placed it in a publicly viewable Google doc (the whole thing is well over 8000 words and would require 23 post to contain it on the forums).

Interview: http://www.17thshard.com/interviews/17th%20shard%20august%20interview.mp3

Transcript: http://tinyurl.com/17th-Shard-Transcript

Transcript Direct Link: https://docs.google.com/document/edit?id=1CLbNI75ALivItrWXy03c0Mh2ASDeF5jAV1y5eEA8Udw&hl=en_GB&pli=1#

Cleaned-Up Transcript (done by ryos): http://www.17thshard.com/news/?p=48

*There were a couple things barely caught by the mics that I just couldn't make out as well as one case where a race from an un-published book was mentioned, the spelling of which I had to guess.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 05:05:17 AM by Morderkaine »

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Kaladin's old name should be spelled Merin. And the Wheel of Time character mentioned is Perrin.

Also, it would look better without the ums. :)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 04:47:30 AM by Peter Ahlstrom »
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Morderkaine

• Level 3
    • View Profile
Thank you Peter, I have fixed those. I toyed with the idea of cleaning up the dialogue but in the end I decide to stay as true to the actual audio as possible. I may do a cleaned up version later. Of course, anyone else is welcome to do so as well and I will add the link(s) to my post, with credit of course.

ryos

• Level 17
  • The Decemberween Thnikkaman
    • View Profile
Thank you Peter, I have fixed those. I toyed with the idea of cleaning up the dialogue but in the end I decide to stay as true to the actual audio as possible. I may do a cleaned up version later. Of course, anyone else is welcome to do so as well and I will add the link(s) to my post, with credit of course.

Is it alright with you if I post it to the 17th Shard blog? If it is and I do, I'll clean up the ums.
Eerongal made off with my Fluffy Puff confections.

Morderkaine

• Level 3
    • View Profile

Is it alright with you if I post it to the 17th Shard blog? If it is and I do, I'll clean up the ums.

Fine by me.  I also posted the transcript links on the 17th Shard Forums BTW.
Here's a link to that topic: http://www.17thshard.com/forum/index.php/topic,335.0.html

Also if anyone else wants to post the transcript links on any other fansite(s) and/or blog(s), please feel free.
Y0u can just credit Morderkaine on TWG and/or 17th Shard.

Inkthinker

• Level 11
  • Animation and Illustration
    • View Profile
    • inkthinker.deviantart.com
It's honestly hard to read the transcript with all the "ums" and grammatical errors, however faithful it might be to the audio. There's a reason writers don't use straight transcription in most cases. It's like listening to audio with constant static breakups.

You're not doing Brandon any favors, either. Reading it like that makes him sound slow and somewhat uncertain about what he's saying.

If you want to keep a faithful transcript, that's awesome, but for the convenience of readers could you please post a cleanup version? Hell, send me a writeable version of the Google doc and I'll do it. 'Cause reading it straight is really quite maddening, and it appears to be an absolutely fascinating intervew. 

I'm sure I'll understand everything clearly when I listen to it, but I actually prefer reading interviews like this over listening to them.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 09:56:11 AM by Inkthinker »

Cheese Ninja

• Level 4
    • View Profile
It was an interesting read, some of it had already been discussed on here.  Mostly the bit about how each Order has access to two magic systems. 

Inkthinker's right though, um and ahs be natural in spoken speech, but in a transcription they are disruptive to the reading.  Also on the topic of Inkthinker:  if it wasn't for him, the Stormlight Archive wouldn't have the Shattered Plains in it.

I thought it was pretty amusing that Brandon had forgotten that he'd given us Cultivation's name, in these big book series, it must be pretty easy to forget minor things.  (Case in point: There is a climatic battle scene at the end of Robert Jordan's Winter Heart, but with all the characters around, he completely forgotten to mention the position of one of the minor ones, Erian.)

This is the 2nd interview where he mentioned that in Way of Kings Prime, Kaladin made the opposite decision he made in Way of Kings, and it happened at the beginning instead of the end.  Should I take that to mean that he took the Shardplate and Shardblade in WoK Prime, or is he talking about something else.

Pechvarry

• Level 3
    • View Profile
Yeah he's mentioned that a lot about Kaladin's decision.   I'd really like to know the turning point.  I knew about it going into the book, so I was even looking for it.  For a long time, I was convinced it was the part when he's being sold off to the army and telling the woman he can fight, but Tvlak (sp?) says he's a deserter and dooms him to bridge duty.

One very interesting thing I found in the interview:

...some of the magic systems have been discovered on different planets, and some of them do work. A lot of them don't, but some of them do. It depends on your spiritual DNA, what people are able to do and things like that but, you know, if you find a way to do illusion magic in one of my worlds it's gonna work pretty much like Lightweaving, regardless of which planet your on. If that makes sense.

Sooooo Elantrian magic on Roshar, right?  Right?

Omelethead

• Level 5
  • The Member Formerly Known as Gher
    • View Profile
I thought it was pretty amusing that Brandon had forgotten that he'd given us Cultivation's name, in these big book series, it must be pretty easy to forget minor things.  (Case in point: There is a climatic battle scene at the end of Robert Jordan's Winter Heart, but with all the characters around, he completely forgotten to mention the position of one of the minor ones, Erian.)

Did you read the transcript, or listen to the interview? Because when I listened to it, it sounded like he was faking ignorance. He knew where they got Cultivation's name.

Minor WoT spoilers: Jordan didn't just forget a minor character, he forgot to mention Semirhage.

Inkthinker

• Level 11
  • Animation and Illustration
    • View Profile
    • inkthinker.deviantart.com
This is the illustration he spoke about in the interview.

Brandon's initially asked me to imagine the world as a combination of a desert badlands and an above-ground coral reef. Much of his initial references involved branch coral or plate coral, but while looking around I also discovered brain coral. Brain coral has twisting patterns of evenly shaped and spaced valleys, and I imagined trying to walk across something like this, always having to jump chasms or backtrack, never being able to travel in a straight line.

The actual Shattered Plains in the book are more like a dropped plate of glass. The shapes of the plateaus are irregular and the chasms deeper and more varied, the tops less flat and even. But the basic idea  is pretty interestingly similar. Brandon had never described the Plains to me, and I never read Dragonsteel. I was just running with the "above-ground coral reef" design mandate, and hit upon a convergent concept unrelated to his initial draft.

So, imagining it like a labyrinth of chasms topped by a plains-like surface (composed largely of the hiding grass and rough coral/anemone/seaweed-like plants), I thought that perhaps the Highstorms don't necessarily ravage the bottoms of the crevasses (unless the wind turns just right or a flash-flood clears it all out) the way they do the surface. So while the tops of the Plains are scoured of all but the toughest plants, the chasms themselves are teeming with life.  Water collects in the low places and creates misty, swampy territory. Tiny cremlings chitter and vinebuds wave their faintly luminescent tendrils in the moist air.

It's hard for me to say how much of what appears in the book comes from just a handful of rough doodles. I had a very loose idea that looked very different, and what ultimately appears in the novels is far better than I had imagined. It's an environment I hope we get to explore more thoroughly.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 12:49:12 PM by Inkthinker »

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
No, I actually think Brandon forgot he'd put Cultivation's name in the book. :)
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Omelethead

• Level 5
  • The Member Formerly Known as Gher
    • View Profile
No, I actually think Brandon forgot he'd put Cultivation's name in the book. :)

;D Awesome.

libraloco

• Level 3
    • View Profile
You know what I'd like to know? I wonder if there's any correlation between Kalad in Warbreaker and Kaladin in The Way of Kings. There's only a two letter difference...

ryos

• Level 17
  • The Decemberween Thnikkaman
    • View Profile
Oh, oh! Can we put those images in the blog post of the transcript that is totally happening real soon now? Oh, can we, can we please?  :o
Eerongal made off with my Fluffy Puff confections.

Stormblessed

• Level 10
    • View Profile
Awesome pics Inkthinker!

You know what I'd like to know? I wonder if there's any correlation between Kalad in Warbreaker and Kaladin in The Way of Kings. There's only a two letter difference...

I don't think so. We actually get Kalad's PoV, and he makes no mention of another planet, let alone being a herald, and that is pretty important. The fact that he is an important character in Warbreaker, would imply that he is not going to be an important character in a completely separate series.

"You've killed me. Bastards, you've killed me!
 -- Darkeyed Soldier