Author Topic: Best line from Mr. Monster [spoilers]  (Read 3132 times)

luminos

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Best line from Mr. Monster [spoilers]
« on: October 07, 2010, 07:14:00 AM »
Just read your book, Dan.  That was really amazing work you did.  Now I feel like going back and rereading the first one.

Anyways, there were a lot of really good lines in the book, so I figured I'd give other fans a chance to talk about which was their favorite.

My absolute favorite is this:
"I beat you," I said. "You've lost."
"And for the..." he coughed, raspy and painful, his voice charred and black. "For the first time in... ten thousand year..." he coughed again. "I feel like I've won."

It took me a second to realize what the demon was talking about here.  At first I wondered if the demon had managed to accomplish some hidden goal.   When it finally hit me, I couldn't stop laughing for about ten minutes.  I can't imagine how bitter it must have to for him to place himself above humanity, to consider himself superior, and yet the more power he gained, the weaker and more pathetic he'd feel, because that's how the people he used his power on would feel around him.  Absolutely freaking beautiful.

clarissavandell

• Level 3
    • View Profile
Re: Best line from Mr. Monster [spoilers]
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 04:11:34 AM »
Not sure if this is thread necromancy, but I just finished the book yesterday, so...

I loved the whole, "Dr. Neblin wasn't killed by an axe" exchange.  And all of the banter between Brooke and John delighted me.  Was it just me, or was John more socially competent around her?

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
Re: Best line from Mr. Monster [spoilers]
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 02:28:51 PM »
Just read your book, Dan.  That was really amazing work you did.  Now I feel like going back and rereading the first one.

Anyways, there were a lot of really good lines in the book, so I figured I'd give other fans a chance to talk about which was their favorite.

My absolute favorite is this:
"I beat you," I said. "You've lost."
"And for the..." he coughed, raspy and painful, his voice charred and black. "For the first time in... ten thousand year..." he coughed again. "I feel like I've won."

It took me a second to realize what the demon was talking about here.  At first I wondered if the demon had managed to accomplish some hidden goal.   When it finally hit me, I couldn't stop laughing for about ten minutes.  I can't imagine how bitter it must have to for him to place himself above humanity, to consider himself superior, and yet the more power he gained, the weaker and more pathetic he'd feel, because that's how the people he used his power on would feel around him.  Absolutely freaking beautiful.

Yeah, that particular line stuck out for me, too.  He gave me the heebie jeebies, but he was also pathetic, in his way.
Nature hates being reified.