Author Topic: Thunderclasts *WoK Spoilers*  (Read 11199 times)

Omelethead

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 0
  • The Member Formerly Known as Gher
    • View Profile
Re: Thunderclasts *WoK Spoilers*
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2010, 12:02:11 AM »
You couldn't walk to Urithiru, sorry, Stormblessed.

That was me. My bad. I knew it was supposed to be out west, I guess I just got ahead of myself.

Although, technically you can't walk the Shattered Plains either. What with all the chasms and all.

Stormblessed

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2010, 01:09:01 AM »
I think that Dalinar's vision implies that the Shattered Plains were only created after the fall of Natanatan.
"You've killed me. Bastards, you've killed me!
 -- Darkeyed Soldier

CabbyHat

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2010, 07:56:01 AM »
Personally I feel like there's really something to the "voidbringers become thunderclasts" theory that I've seen brought up elsewhere a few times. I can't really think of anything else they'd pupate into, and we know they've been associated with voidbringers and the Desolations, from the drawing that Jasnah sent to Dalinar. It just feels right.

Of course, I'd be delighted to be proven wrong in a later book. My favourite moments are the ones where Brandon suddenly pulls the rug out from everything you thought you knew. :D
Just an idle comment. My comments are often idle. I can never get them to do any solid work.

Stormblessed

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2010, 08:01:23 AM »
I like that voidbringers create thunderclasts. I can imagine thunderclasts, huge stone creaters like this:

(Thx for the picture VegasDev I like!!!)

Except these thunderclasts are like wardogs to the Voidbringers.

New theory: Maybe voidbinding is about bringing stone to life using gemhearts. So any greatshell creature (e.g. axehound, chull, chasmfiend) are all creatures created in the past by voidbinding, but are now walking around aimlessly and reproducing until the next desolation, when the voidbringers will return and give the greatshell creatures a purpose.
 -- Darkeyed Soldier

Harakeke

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2010, 08:51:25 AM »
From the "Horses" thread...

Here's a theory - Greatshell carapace strength (and by extension maximum phyiscal size) is determined by the capacity of the individual's gemheart (i.e. natural fabrial).

Thus, the spren that emerge from a dying greatshell escape the gemheart at the moment of death are the physical manifestation of the Shadesmar concept {improbably big crab thing that is alive and does not crush under its own weight}.  When the greatshell is alive, these spren are attracted to and trapped inside the gemheart.  The spren make it possible for their host to breathe Stormlight which not only solves the oxygen-CO2 exchange problem, but also allows for great feats of strength.  (We see similar effects as a result of Kaladin's bond with an honorspren.) This allows the greatshell to grow to Chasmfiend size. When the greatshell's connection to the cognitive realm is severed by death, the spren are no longer bound. Their departure leaves the gems inert and able to be cut by an autofabrian to target other varieties of spren.

Greatshells exist throughout Roshar (if I recall), but the ones in the Shattered Plains are particularly massive.  Something about the nature of spren or Highstorms in that region (perhaps as a result and/or cause of the final battle of the last Desolation) makes them able to grow much more effective gemhearts.

Chulls would have comparably smaller gemhearts compared to Greatshells, which explains their more docile nature.
At the other end of this growth spectrum would lie Thunderclasts, which have super-efficient gemhearts that can hold/metabolize Stormlight much more efficiently.

To go even further out on a limb... Parshendi would be parshmen that use gemhearts as natural fabrials to maintain a level of shared consciousness.  Their fabrials are tuned in pairs, much like spanreeds and are operated using vocal harmonics (i.e. songs) to evoke cymatic resonance.  At the far end of this spectrum, you get Voidbringers, which hold Stormlight perfectly and have all sorts of crazy powers.

Stormblessed

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2010, 09:17:07 AM »
Shesh, that is a good theory. I like it. I still think that Voidbringers have some way of creating greatshell beasts, but that still fits with your theory. I think we're getting somewhere here!!  :D
 -- Darkeyed Soldier

Kykeon

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2010, 02:07:57 PM »
Hey, I already posted that theory!! ;D
A part of it at least...
I think it's likely because a gem discharges over the course of weeks, whereas the longest a human can hold his stormlight is a couple of minutes.
[see prologue and sezth's comment about voidbringers]

Erunion

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2010, 05:38:45 PM »
From the "Horses" thread...

Here's a theory - Greatshell carapace strength (and by extension maximum phyiscal size) is determined by the capacity of the individual's gemheart (i.e. natural fabrial).

Thus, the spren that emerge from a dying greatshell escape the gemheart at the moment of death are the physical manifestation of the Shadesmar concept {improbably big crab thing that is alive and does not crush under its own weight}.  When the greatshell is alive, these spren are attracted to and trapped inside the gemheart.  The spren make it possible for their host to breathe Stormlight which not only solves the oxygen-CO2 exchange problem, but also allows for great feats of strength.  (We see similar effects as a result of Kaladin's bond with an honorspren.) This allows the greatshell to grow to Chasmfiend size. When the greatshell's connection to the cognitive realm is severed by death, the spren are no longer bound. Their departure leaves the gems inert and able to be cut by an autofabrian to target other varieties of spren.

Greatshells exist throughout Roshar (if I recall), but the ones in the Shattered Plains are particularly massive.  Something about the nature of spren or Highstorms in that region (perhaps as a result and/or cause of the final battle of the last Desolation) makes them able to grow much more effective gemhearts.

Chulls would have comparably smaller gemhearts compared to Greatshells, which explains their more docile nature.
At the other end of this growth spectrum would lie Thunderclasts, which have super-efficient gemhearts that can hold/metabolize Stormlight much more efficiently.

To go even further out on a limb... Parshendi would be parshmen that use gemhearts as natural fabrials to maintain a level of shared consciousness.  Their fabrials are tuned in pairs, much like spanreeds and are operated using vocal harmonics (i.e. songs) to evoke cymatic resonance.  At the far end of this spectrum, you get Voidbringers, which hold Stormlight perfectly and have all sorts of crazy powers.

Stormfather*, that's brilliant!
It says that the Chasmfiends pupate to await a highstorm. Perhaps they are awaiting a highstorm in order to recharge their gemheart? The shell they make would be in order to protect them, and the gemheart would give them strength to live for another year or so.
Or perhaps a charged gemheart give them... other abilities.

* I didn't think a terran oath was suitable for this Rosharian discovery...  ;D

Cheese Ninja

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2010, 06:36:03 PM »

Sounds like a really good theory overall, but I feel we're still missing some important bits.  I'm glad you've found an explanation for the spren that leave a freshly dead greatshell,  I felt that was an important hint towards something.  I don't entirely agree about the Shadesmar connection, but I have nothing better. 

I'm not entirely sure chulls have gemhearts, Jasnah's and Sigzil's comments makes it sound like gemhearts are specific to greatshells.
There is a particular species of greatshell in the depths there. The creatures are known for their succulent flavor, and of course they have gemhearts. Not nearly as large as the ones in these chasmfiends, but still nice.
-Sigzil Chapter 40
When the lanceryn died off during the scouring of Aimia, we thought we’d seen the last gemhearts of large size. And yet here was another great-shelled beast with them, living in a land not too distant from Kholinar itself.
-Jasnah, Chapter 36
Jasnah's comment in particular, makes it seem like there's not very many easy to find greatshells anymore.

Harakeke

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2010, 07:52:10 PM »
A part of it at least...
I think it's likely because a gem discharges over the course of weeks, whereas the longest a human can hold his stormlight is a couple of minutes.

Heh, sorry.  Didn't mean to steal your thunder. This seemed like a good place to summarize what people have been speculating about Greatshells. I've noticed a lot of threads tend to digress, so I just wanted to pull everything together in one place. :)

Erunion

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2010, 09:33:48 PM »

Sounds like a really good theory overall, but I feel we're still missing some important bits.  I'm glad you've found an explanation for the spren that leave a freshly dead greatshell,  I felt that was an important hint towards something.  I don't entirely agree about the Shadesmar connection, but I have nothing better. 

I'm not entirely sure chulls have gemhearts, Jasnah's and Sigzil's comments makes it sound like gemhearts are specific to greatshells.
There is a particular species of greatshell in the depths there. The creatures are known for their succulent flavor, and of course they have gemhearts. Not nearly as large as the ones in these chasmfiends, but still nice.
-Sigzil Chapter 40
When the lanceryn died off during the scouring of Aimia, we thought we’d seen the last gemhearts of large size. And yet here was another great-shelled beast with them, living in a land not too distant from Kholinar itself.
-Jasnah, Chapter 36
Jasnah's comment in particular, makes it seem like there's not very many easy to find greatshells anymore.

Not, on your second quote: "...the last gemhearts of large size." (Emphasis mine).
This tells me that most beings have small gemhearts, likely their metabolisms deposit the gem inside their bodies using minerals gathered from highstorm-watered plants/smaller animals.
Have you heard of any large gem mining operations? I think it far more likely that gemhearts are the #1 source of gemstones on Roshar, and that nearly all of the exoskeletal creatures have them.

Stormblessed

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2010, 12:02:07 AM »
I remember reading somewhere that Chulls were greatshells, but their gemhearts were so small that they were more usefull as pack animals rather that being harvested for gemhearts.
 -- Darkeyed Soldier

Cheese Ninja

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2010, 01:08:20 AM »
Maybe on one of the illustration pages?  My copy of the book is on my computer, so the text on those pages is too small for me to read easily.

Kykeon

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2010, 06:16:11 PM »
A part of it at least...

Heh, sorry.  Didn't mean to steal your thunder. This seemed like a good place to summarize what people have been speculating about Greatshells. I've noticed a lot of threads tend to digress, so I just wanted to pull everything together in one place. :)

Haha!  :D
S'alright, ^_^

Pechvarry

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2010, 07:44:00 PM »
This tells me that most beings have small gemhearts, likely their metabolisms deposit the gem inside their bodies using minerals gathered from highstorm-watered plants/smaller animals.

Gemstones are made of metabolized crem?  Crem is therefore poisonous to humans because they can't metabolize it.

Just a thought.