Author Topic: Gavilier (spoiler)  (Read 9138 times)

wolverinehokie

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Gavilier (spoiler)
« on: October 04, 2010, 01:10:55 PM »
Does anyone know what happened to his shardplate and shardblade?  We know Szeth didn't take it. Dalinar has had his set since he was young, Adolin got his from his mother's side, Elhonkar got his from Dalinar at the beginning of the plains war, so what happened to Gavilier's set?  My guess is Sadeas might have gotten the plate and the blade was given to someone else, but why wasn't it given to Elhonkar?

Munin

• Level 8
    • View Profile
Re: Gavilier (spoiler)
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 02:20:09 PM »
I don't think we know.

Unless there's some kind of Alethi tradition that says a king is buried with his blade and plate, but I doubt that they'd do that. For one thing, grave robbery would become a nightmare.
There's a difference between what's best and what's right. What's best might be different tomorrow or the day after, but right and wrong will stay the same after a thousand years.

elsyan

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 02:29:30 PM »
Doubt there is a tradition since Gavilar is the second (third?) king!

This is a good catch as this detail wouldn't have been missed by Brandon...
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 02:31:31 PM by elsyan »

peasupplyco

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 03:30:32 PM »
I thought that Elohkar was using it.

I remember it saying that Dholinar had given him a set to give to whom he deemed worthy, or perhaps I am just confusing that with a different part..

wolverinehokie

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 04:09:05 PM »
I'm pretty sure it said he gave it to Elhokar to use, at least that's the way I read the passage.  I'll have to find the quote at a latter date.  I could see Dalinar giving Elhokar a set to use, but not to give to someone else.  Dalinar would want to reward his own lieutenants rather than let Elhokar decide who should get it.  That was even discussed with Renarin when he said he'd give Renarin a set next.

Erunion

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 05:54:37 PM »
No, he gave it to Elhokar to give to "whoever he deemed fittest" in all of the warcamps. Elhokar already had his own set, likely from Gavilar. The reference shouldn't be too hard to find, but I don't have my book with me.
I'm quite confident of it, though.

Galavantes

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 06:12:30 PM »
Erunion is right, Dalinar specifically said no one would fault him for giving the next shardplate he found to his son because he had already given a set to Elhokar to give out to whomever he deemed fit.

guy

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2010, 06:28:40 PM »
No, he gave it to Elhokar to give to "whoever he deemed fittest" in all of the warcamps. Elhokar already had his own set, likely from Gavilar. The reference shouldn't be too hard to find, but I don't have my book with me.
I'm quite confident of it, though.
No I think I recall that Elhokars plate and blade are different from Gavilars, and that Elhokars came from the parshendi, but i dont have the references for that.  which makes me wonder what DID happen to Gavilars shards?

wolverinehokie

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2010, 06:46:41 PM »
Description of Elhokar's sword pg 203 hardcover
his Shardblade - Sunraiser - springing from mist into his hand. It was long and thin with a large crossguard, and was etched up the sides with the ten fundamental glyphs.

Description of Gavilar's sword pg 29 hardcover
The newcomer carried a sword as well, an enormous Shardblade six feet long with a design along the blade like burning flames, a weapon of silvery metal that gleamed and almost seemed to glow.

Description of the set Dalinar won pg 281 hardover
He'd given both to Elhokar to award to a warrior he felt would be the most useful to Alethkar and the war effort.

I guess to me the problem with the quote is who "he" is.  I read it as "he" being Dalinar, but I can also see "he" being Elhokar.  As in, Dalinar feels Elhokar is the warrior who is most useful to Alethkar.  Also the different descriptions of the blades makes it seem like they are different blades.  Obviously the glyphs could look like burning flames, but I believe the descriptions being different is intentional. Would Szeth describe glyphs as a "design like burning flames"?  Although the more I reread the quote about the set Dalinar won, the more it does seem like "he" refers to Elhokar so that could answer my question right there.

wolverinehokie

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2010, 06:57:06 PM »
One more quote pg 282
"None of the other highprinces give up their spoils to the king," Dalinar said. "And who would fault me if, for once, I made a gift to my son?"

So in response to Galavantes, spoils does not necessarily mean Plate and Blades.

Munin

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2010, 10:40:24 PM »
At this point, I don't think we have any idea what happened to Gavilar's blade. Sadeas might have his plate, but I doubt it.
There's a difference between what's best and what's right. What's best might be different tomorrow or the day after, but right and wrong will stay the same after a thousand years.

KhyEllie

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2010, 02:03:53 AM »
That quote from 281 makes me think that Elhokar still has the extra Blade and Plate. I figure if he'd given them away already the Blade would have been gives to Sadeas.

peasupplyco

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2010, 02:31:46 AM »
While it still makes the most sense to me that Gavilar's sword and plate would be used by Elhokar, the baldes really don't sound like they match :/
And Elhokar would have been far older than Adolin when he got his Plate and Blade.

It seems to me that the owner of Gavilar's gear has not been pointed out to us yet.

Omelethead

• Level 5
  • The Member Formerly Known as Gher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2010, 03:36:49 AM »
Crazy theory time: If Elhokar's Blade and Plate aren't from Gavilar, then Shallan has Gavilar's Blade. Someone from her father's organisation happened on the king's body, stole his Blade while it sat there, and made off with it. Then the Blade made it's way into Shallan's dad's hands, and then Shallan. Heck, maybe Shallan's dad happened on Gavilar's body.

Dalinar and the rest of the Alethi thought the Assassin in White took the Blade, but didn't have the time to steal the Plate.

Does Elhokar's plate match the description of Gavilar's? It might be that Elhokar got his dad's Plate, but no Blade, and when Dalinar gave him the Parshendi Plate and Blade, Elhokar took the Blade and passed on the Plate (to Sadeas?).

I don't know. I can't remember all the descriptions of the Plate, or if Sadeas had his Plate the whole time.

But Shallan's Blade is Gavilar's. If Elhokar doesn't have it.

</crazy theory>

ryos

• Level 17
  • The Decemberween Thnikkaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2010, 04:00:11 AM »
Storm you Omelethead, you beat me to it. :P
Eerongal made off with my Fluffy Puff confections.