Author Topic: Timespan for Stormlight Archives? (Spoilers)  (Read 19165 times)

Harakeke

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Timespan for Stormlight Archives? (Spoilers)
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2010, 05:04:01 PM »
Here's an editable table I made:
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Al9mpDUN_8rSdGZIcU1DbFJ1amRLb2l6UVZwRWtEQ3c&hl=en&authkey=CPyvzssM

I still like the idea of 1173 being "the present", and with age measured in Weepings it seems to work out.
According to the table, Kaladin experienced a Weeping between leaving Amaram's army and arriving in the Shattered Plains.  Does anything in the text support this?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 05:23:47 PM by Harakeke »

FollowYourMuse

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2010, 03:28:25 AM »
Here's an editable table I made:
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Al9mpDUN_8rSdGZIcU1DbFJ1amRLb2l6UVZwRWtEQ3c&hl=en&authkey=CPyvzssM

I still like the idea of 1173 being "the present", and with age measured in Weepings it seems to work out.
According to the table, Kaladin experienced a Weeping between leaving Amaram's army and arriving in the Shattered Plains.  Does anything in the text support this?
What I coukld find:
 Kaladin speaking with Tvlakv in Chapter 4 (pg 78 ebook)
Tvlakv says "Long ago? you can not be older tghan eighteen years, deserter."
It was a good guess, He was nineteen. Had it really only been four years since he'd joined Amaram's army?

Right before Kaladin suggests to the bridgemen that what else they could try  is escape, he is  tlaking with Syl, and ready to give up since "He Can't save them."  he finds a stone, and remembers Tien, and talks how he recognized what was happening, how he always felt mdespair take him duing the weeks of the Weeping.   This is only a hint, or it could have some other meaning, or none at all. Most likely it depresses him because there are no highstorms, and he has always probably gained something from those. 

Cheese Ninja

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2010, 05:55:17 AM »
I asked Brandon at the November 3rd signing.  He said that Roshar years are a bit longer than our years, but probably not by much.  He said a person who's 19 on Roshar would be more like 20 to us.  So their days are probably a little bit longer than the 17.5 Earth hours I was thinking they would be to make their 500 day year the same length as our 365 day year.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2010, 07:15:26 AM »
20 hours per day, and their hour is like a minute or two shorter than our hour.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Cheese Ninja

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2010, 08:13:50 AM »
In that case their year should be about 1.10 of our years, maybe I misremembered his reply a bit.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2010, 05:53:49 PM »
Brandon has people to remember these things for him.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Cheese Ninja

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2010, 06:36:23 PM »
There is quite a bit to remember he has to remember, isn't there?  We only have the details of one book out of 10.  He has a much clearer view of the whole thing, but Inkthinker and others are good for double-checking the minutiae embedded in that one book.  It was fun to hear him talk about Jordan's notes at the signing, basically, he'd write up a few questions about specific WoT details, then hand them off to Harriet and she and (I forget who else) would come back in a few weeks, once they actually found the answers among Jordan's voluminous notes.

Terrisman243

• Level 5
  • Join the Omegas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2010, 12:33:23 AM »
Harakeke, you are awesome. You win an award for compilation and translation.

Cheese Ninja

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2010, 04:22:38 AM »
It's a bit off-topic, but yes, Harakeke has achieved Indiana Jones (or, if you prefer, Master Keaton) levels of awesomeness.

I'm sorry, but that's I can't think up any more awesome, if fictional, archaeologists.

And no, I won't count that Da Vinci Code guy.  He's not even an archaeologist...

Tasslehoof

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2010, 10:13:11 PM »

Right before Kaladin suggests to the bridgemen that what else they could try  is escape, he is  tlaking with Syl, and ready to give up since "He Can't save them."  he finds a stone, and remembers Tien, and talks how he recognized what was happening, how he always felt mdespair take him duing the weeks of the Weeping.   This is only a hint, or it could have some other meaning, or none at all. Most likely it depresses him because there are no highstorms, and he has always probably gained something from those. 

I did think it was quite interesting that Weepings had a distinct effect (or at least appeared to) to Kaladin's mood.  The highstorms not being around could be the reason, since he draws his power from there, but I also think he might have a higher tie to the Almighty.  Dalinar and Kaladin could have some very interesting coversations, and might find that they are both connected to the Almighty.  I can't wait to see what the next book presents us.
Now why'd you have to go and push that button?!

- Famous Words of Doom.

Cheese Ninja

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2011, 01:22:23 AM »
I checked out the 17th shard forum, where they were trying to figure out to understand the dates in the epigraphs, and I put the dates in a form from 1-500.  I'll repost here:

1= Jes
2= Nan
3= Chach
4= Vev
5= Palah
6= Shash
7= Betab
8= Kak
9= Tanat
10= Ishi

I think the dates in the years would be more readable here if we converted them to just numbers 1-500 to correspond to the sequential day of the year. So it would be (month's #-1)*50 + (week #-1)*5 + (day #). I'll put the some examples in parentheses. Edit 2: I'll grudgingly add Peter's method of dates in, since he's an authority on the series. Also, since there's no math involved I'm less likely to mess it up.

1. “The love of men is a frigid thing, a mountain stream only three steps from the ice. We are his. Oh Stormfather…we are his. It is but a thousand days, and the Everstorm comes.”—Collected on the first day of the week Palah of the month Shash of the year 1171, thirty-one seconds before death. Subject was a darkeyed pregnant woman of middle years. The child did not survive. (271) [6-5-1]
2. “You’ve killed me. Bastards, you’ve killed me! While the sun is still hot, I die!”—Collected on the fifth day of the week Chach of the month Betab of the year 1171, ten seconds before death. Subject was a darkeyed soldier thirty-one years of age. Sample is considered questionable. (315) [7-3-5]
3.“Ten orders. We were loved, once. Why have you forsaken us, Almighty! Shard of my soul, where have you gone?”—Collected on the second day of Kakash, year 1171, five seconds before death. Subject was a lighteyed woman in her third decade. (377) [8-6-2]
4.“A man stood on a cliffside and watched his homeland fall into dust. The waters surged beneath, so far beneath. And he heard a child crying. They were his own tears.”—Collected on the 4th of Tanates, year 1171, thirty seconds before death. Subject was a cobbler of some renown. (404) [9-1-4]
5.“I’m dying, aren’t I? Healer, why do you take my blood? Who is that beside you, with his head of lines? I can see a distant sun, dark and cold, shining in a black sky.”—Collected on the 3rd of Jesnan, 1172, 11 seconds pre-death. Subject was a Reshi chull trainer. Sample is of particular note. (8) [1-2-3]
6.“I have seen the end, and have heard it named. The Night of Sorrows, the True Desolation. The Everstorm.”—Collected on the 1st of Nanes, 1172, 15 seconds pre-death. Subject was a darkeyed youth of unknown origin. (51) [2-1-1]
7.“I’m cold. Mother, I’m cold. Mother? Why can I still hear the rain? Will it stop?”—Collected on Vevishes, 1172, 32 seconds pre-death. Subject was a lighteyed female child, approximately six years old. (196) [4-10-1]
8.“They are aflame. They burn. They bring the darkness when they come, and so all you can see is that their skin is aflame. Burn, burn, burn….”—Collected on Palahishev, 1172, 21 seconds pre-death. Subject was a baker’s apprentice. (249) [5-10-4]
9.“Victory! We stand atop the mount! We scatter them before us! Their homes become our dens, their lands are now our farms! And they shall burn, as we once did, in a place that is hollow and forlorn.”—Collected on Ishashan, 1172, 18 seconds pre-death. Subject was a lighteyed spinster of the eighth dahn. (477) [10-6-2]
10.“Ten people, with Shardblades alight, standing before a wall of black and white and red.”—Collected: Jesachev, 1173, 12 seconds pre-death. Subject: one of our own ardents, overheard during his last moments. (14) [1-3-4]
11.“Three of sixteen ruled, but now the Broken One reigns.”—Collected: Chachanan, 1173, 84 seconds pre-death. Subject: a cutpurse with the wasting sickness, of partial Iriali descent. (107) [3-2-2]
13.“I’m standing over the body of a brother. I’m weeping. Is that his blood or mine? What have we done?”—Dated Vevanev, 1173, 107 seconds pre-death. Subject: an out-of-work Veden sailor. (159) [4-2-4]
14.“He must pick it up, the fallen title! The tower, the crown, and the spear!”—Dated Vevahach, 1173, 8 seconds pre-death. Subject: a prostitute. Back ground unknown. (173) [4-5-3]
15.“The burdens of nine become mine. Why must I carry the madness of them all? Oh, Almighty, release me.”—Dated Palaheses, 1173, unknown seconds pre-death. Subject: a wealthy lighteyes. Sample collected secondhand. (201) [5-1-1]
16.“A woman sits and scratches out her own eyes. Daughter of kings and winds, the vandal.”—Dated Palahevan, 1173, 73 seconds pre-death. Subject: a beggar of some renown, known for his elegant songs. (217) [5-4-2]
17.“Light grows so distant. The storm never stops. I am broken, and all around me have died. I weep for the end of all things. He has won. Oh, he has beaten us.”—Dated Palahakev, 1173, 16 seconds pre-death. Subject: a Thaylen sailor. (239) [5-8-4]
18.“I hold the suckling child in my hands, a knife at his throat, and know that all who live wish me to let the blade slip. Spill its blood upon the ground, over my hands, and with it gain us further breath to draw.”—Dated Shashanan, 1173, 23 seconds pre-death. Subject: a darkeyed youth of sixteen years. Sample is of particular note. (257) [6-2-2]
(19)“And all the world was shattered!” Maps yelled, back arching, eyes wide, flecks of red spittle on his cheeks. “The rocks trembled with their steps, and the stones reached toward the heavens. We die! We die!” (No Date)
20.“ReShephir, the Midnight Mother, giving birth to abominations with her essence so dark, so terrible, so consuming. She is here! She watches me die!”—Dated Shashabev, 1173, 8 seconds pre-death. Subject: a darkeyed dock-worker in his forties, father of three. (284) [6-7-4]
21.“Above the final void I hang, friends behind, friends before. The feast I must drink clings to their faces, and the words I must speak spark in my mind. The old oaths will be spoken anew.”—Dated Betabanan, 1173, 45 seconds pre-death. Subject: a lighteyed child of five years. Diction improved remarkably when giving sample.(307) [7-2-2]
22.“The death is my life, the strength becomes my weakness, the journey has ended.”—Dated Betabanes, 1173, 95 seconds pre-death. Subject: a scholar of some minor renown. Sample collected secondhand. Considered questionable.(306) [7-2-1]
23.“In the storm I awaken, falling, spinning, grieving.”—Dated Kakanev, 1173, 13 seconds pre-death. Subject was a city guardsman. (359) [8-2-4]
24.“The darkness becomes a palace. Let it rule! Let it rule!”—Kakevah 1173, 22 seconds pre-death. A darkeyed Selay man of unknown profession. (370) [8-4-5]
25.“I wish to sleep. I know now why you do what you do, and I hate you for it. I will not speak of the truths I see.”—Kakashah 1173, 142 seconds pre-death. A Shin sailor, left behind by his crew, reportedly for bringing them ill luck. Sample largely useless. (380) [8-6-5]
26.“They come from the pit, two dead men, a heart in their hands, and I know that I have seen true glory.”—Kakashah 1173, 13 seconds pre-death. A rickshaw puller. (380) [8-6-5]
27.“I see them. They are the rocks. They are the vengeful spirits. Eyes of red.”—Kakakes 1173, 8 seconds pre-death. A darkeyed young woman of fifteen. Subject was reportedly mentally unstable since childhood. (386) [8-8-1]
28.“That chanting, that singing, those rasping voices.”—Kaktach 1173, 16 seconds pre-death. A middle-aged potter. Reported seeing strange dreams during highstorms during the last two years. (393) [8-9-3]
29.“Let me no longer hurt! Let me no longer weep! Daigonarthis! The Black Fisher holds my sorrow and consumes it!”—Tanatesach 1173, 28 seconds pre-death. A darkeyed female street juggler. Note similarity to sample 1172-89. (403) [9-1-3]
30.“They named it the Final Desolation, but they lied. Our gods lied. Oh, how they lied. The Everstorm comes. I hear its whispers, see its stormwall, know its heart.”—Tanatanes 1173, 8 seconds pre-death. An Azish itinerant worker. Sample of particular note. (406) [9-2-1]
31.“All is withdrawn for me. I stand against the one who saved my life. I protect the one who killed my promises. I raise my hand. The storm responds.”—Tanatanev 1173, 18 seconds pre-death. A darkeyed mother of four in her sixty-second year. (409) [9-2-4]

I probably screwed at least 1 or 2 up, but I don't feel like double checking all 30. 21 is the only one we can be sure we see happening in the book, and oddly it's the only one out of chronological order compared to the rest of the death quotes. Edit 2: Fixed some wrong dates. 4-5, I think.

It's notable that the "1000 days" from the first epigraph has actually already passed before we get to death quote #20.  (#12 was another in-story death quote like #19, so I left it out.)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 06:18:32 AM by Cheese Ninja »

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2011, 05:14:36 AM »
I write the dates as Month#-Week#-Day#, XX-XX-X where the two pairs are from 1 to 10 and the last number is from 1 to 5.

zas678

• Level 7
  • Job Title: Hoid Desciption: RAFO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2011, 04:10:52 PM »
Oh, there's only 5 days per week? That makes a big difference....
“It’s a fun tradition.”
“So was witch-burning,” Melody said.  “Unless you were the witch.”

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2011, 08:53:08 PM »
Well, there are 10 months, with 10 weeks per month, and the year is 500 days, so that makes 5 days per week. :)

Cheese Ninja

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2011, 05:38:55 AM »
I write the dates as Month#-Week#-Day#, XX-XX-X where the two pairs are from 1 to 10 and the last number is from 1 to 5.
Damn it, I'll have to edit the earlier post to show your way of doing it as well.  On a side note, while I mostly understand the abbreviated dates now, where Tanat is used kinda screws me up.  I imagine the system of abbreviating the dates would make even more sense if I studied over the Alethi script? (Which, sadly, I am too lazy to do.)

Date editing done, but I didn't double check them all, so I wouldn't be surprised if some are wrong.  Does anyone else think it's weird that the only epigraph out of chronological order is the only one detailing an event we clearly see happening during the book?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 06:26:26 AM by Cheese Ninja »