Local Authors > Brandon Sanderson

Timespan for Stormlight Archives? (Spoilers)

<< < (2/8) > >>

Munin:

--- Quote from: Cheese Ninja on October 03, 2010, 08:30:52 PM ---1. “The love of men is a frigid thing, a mountain stream only three steps from the ice. We are his. Oh Stormfather…we are his. It is but a thousand days, and the Everstorm comes.”—Collected on the first day of the week Palah of the month Shash of the year 1171, thirty-one seconds before death. Subject was a darkeyed pregnant woman of middle years. The child did not survive.

1000 days doesn't seem like enough time for the series to take place in, given the bit we have so far.  I'm also a bit confused here, are the years 500 days?  (5 days a week, 10 weeks a month, 10 months a year)  And is a day in this series the same length as a day in our world?  Should we be multiplying their ages by 1.37 to get their age in our years?

--- End quote ---
You're assuming that the whole series has to take place before the Everstorm comes.

Cheese Ninja:
Not exactly, what I said was: "1000 days doesn't seem like enough time for the series to take place in, given the bit we have so far."
We have various things to contend with, the inaccuracy of prophecies and the ability to alter/disrupt/inhibit the manifestation of a prophecy. 

We don't know the actual dates during the series, only in the epigraphs, which cover nearly(?) 1 and half years worth of time while the events in book aren't more than a few months, if that.  (Dalinar only has 4 visions during the course of the books, while highstorms are supposed to come ever other week or so.) If the Everstorm is that massive wall of destruction that Dalinar sees in the Almighty's vision, then I can't imagine much happening after that hits in the series. Edit: Unless the vision is just a metaphor for destruction.

Even the epigraph that I consider to be prophetic about Kalidan's chasm leap might have actually come after the fact, despite us seeing it earlier in the book than the actual event:
--- Quote ---“Above the final void I hang, friends behind, friends before. The feast I must drink clings to their faces, and the words I must speak spark in my mind. The old oaths will be spoken anew.”—Dated Betabanan, 1173, 45 seconds pre-death. Subject: a lighteyed child of five years. Diction improved remarkably when giving sample.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---Map of the Battle of the Tower, drawn and labeled by Navani Kholin, circa 1173.
--- End quote ---
There's one of our few vague/if solid dates.

FollowYourMuse:
What we do know on the timing in the books:
The Vengance pact  and the War on the shattered plains has been going on for 6 years.
Shallan leaves home and meets up with Jasnah 6 months later in Kharbaranth.
Shallan spends an additonal 2-3 months with Jasnah before the end of the book.

7.5 years agoTien was 10 and  Kaladin was 12
5.5 Years ago Kal is 15
5 Years ago Tien and Kaladin are conscripted into the army ( 4 year term)
Tien dies 4 months after joining. Took Kaladin a year before he pulled out of depression. Kaladin now 16-17)
Kaladin is 19 years old at the time he is in the Slave wagon arriving at the Shattered Plains 8 Months after leaving* Amarams Army.

Szeth becomes Truthless.
2 years Later Szeth Kills Gavilar.
5 more years yater Szeth is owned by Took and is in Bavland and is 35 years old.

Harakeke:
Once again, the illustrations have bits of meta-information for us hardcore fans...

In 1167, a not-yet-dead King Gavilar commissioned a map of Roshar from one "Isasik Shulin"  ;), as well as a map of Alethkar.
All of the illustrations referencing the Parshendi Campagin are circa 1173.
This includes Navani's map of the Battle of the Tower and the nameless spearman's map of Sadeas' camp.
Also in 1173, the painter Vandonas visited the warcamps and later painted a picture of them from memory.

Kaladin leaves Amaram's army five years after Gavilar's murder.

Which by my calculation suggests (with an estimated error of +/- 1 year)...

YearWorld EventsSzethKaladinyBPKaladin's AgeSzeth's Age(3332*)Heralds resign------4,505*------1138---Szeth born---35------1154------Kaladin born19---161156------Tien born172181166---Szeth becomes Truthless---712281167Gavilar comissions maps------613291168Gavilar diesSzeth kills GavilarKaladin & Tien conscripted514301171First death visionrecorded------217331173Battleof the TowerSzeth owned by TookKaladin leaves Amaram's army, arrives at Shattered plains 8 months later01935
*note: the prelude's date of 4,500 years before Gavilar's murder may be an estimate

edit: yeah, I'm definitely off a year someplace. Tien is 13 when he's conscripted "five years ago", according to ch. 44.

Fireborn:
What does yBP stand for?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version