Author Topic: The Ten Focus Characters of the 10 SA Books  (Read 9843 times)

zarepath

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
The Ten Focus Characters of the 10 SA Books
« on: October 02, 2010, 01:54:04 AM »
There's gonna be a focus character for each of the ten books, like how Kaladin was the focus character for a Way of Kings (showing his backstory).  Brandon said that we've already met each of the viewpoint characters, and that he's not sure if the next book is going to be a Dalinar book or a Shallan book.  He also said that by the end of the epilogue, we've met all of the characters, which means that Talenel is going to be one of them.  He also mentioned in some interview that he'll probably have two Kaladin books, and that Szeth will get a book.  This means that the following viewpoints are confirmed:

Kaladin x2
Dalinar
Shallan
Szeth
Talenel

That leaves four more.  My guesses would be the following:

Adolin
Jasnah

After that, I'm not so sure.  Here are the ones that I think would be possible:

Renarin
Elhokar
Wit/Hoid
Axies the Collector
Sadeas
Naeaverirenaifenvae whatever the crap the Queen's name is

Renarin and Elhokar are probably the most likely of the semi-likely, which would mean the following viewpoints:

Kaladin x2
Dalinar
Shallan
Szeth
Talenel
Adolin
Jasnah
Renarin
Elhokar

What do you guys think?  Which characters are you most looking forward to / least looking forward to?

Stormblessed

• Level 10
    • View Profile
Re: The Ten Focus Characters of the 10 SA Books
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 02:44:11 AM »
Kaladin x2
Dalinar
Shallan
Szeth
Talenel
Adolin
Jasnah
Renarin
Elhokar

This looks about right. I'm certain Jasnah will get a PoV book, and Adolin is just too good a character to not get one.

If Elhokar is a spren bonder then I think he will get one.

I would like to see Renarin get one, but I'm not too certain.

Hoid will definitely not be one, but hopefully we will see more PoV chapters from him in the future.
"You've killed me. Bastards, you've killed me!
 -- Darkeyed Soldier

libraloco

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2010, 05:15:42 AM »
I thought I heard somewhere that book two was going to be called The Highprince of War, or something like that, so wouldn't that apply to Sadeas?

Morderkaine

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2010, 05:26:01 AM »
I thought I heard somewhere that book two was going to be called The Highprince of War, or something like that, so wouldn't that apply to Sadeas?

Yes, The Highprince of War is the tentative/working title for book two of the Stormlight Archives, but that's Dalinar's position, not Sadeas's.

Tasslehoof

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2010, 05:56:16 AM »
I hope Elhokar doesn't get a book, I'm not really a fan of him.  Renarin on the other hand could have an awesome back story, and I feel like Brandon will definitely flesh out his character by the end of the series.

I doubt Hoid will get one, just because part of what makes Hoid interesting is his LACK of backstory (or at least getting his backstory in very small bits). 
Now why'd you have to go and push that button?!

- Famous Words of Doom.

Fireborn

• Level 9
  • Geniusness Explosion!
    • View Profile
    • Rampant And Rhetoric
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2010, 08:48:33 AM »
I really hope that Kaladin doesn't get another book.  He's awesome, but the one book is enough.  I want as many people's backstories as possible!

Just tossing these out there: Shen or the Parshendi Shardbearer.  I'd love to get a Parsh perspective, I think it would be fascinating.

I also think it's more than likely that one book will go to a character from one of the interludes besides Szeth.  I really want to see more of Axies.
When to live is to die, and to die is to live, does either really matter?

Salkara

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2010, 07:21:47 PM »
I really hope that Kaladin doesn't get another book.  He's awesome, but the one book is enough.  I want as many people's backstories as possible!

Just tossing these out there: Shen or the Parshendi Shardbearer.  I'd love to get a Parsh perspective, I think it would be fascinating.

I also think it's more than likely that one book will go to a character from one of the interludes besides Szeth.  I really want to see more of Axies.

My guess is that Kaladin will be the focus of book 10. I kind of assume he'll be the champion that the Almighty mentions to Dalinar at the end of the book. Although, Brandon does have a way of killing my assumptions (**Spoiler Redacted**)

I'd also like to see some more of the interlude characters. I mean, Axies is pretty cool, and that lady who defaces all the artwork sounded interesting. Are they interesting enough to focus an entire book around? Hopefully.

As for the Parshendi shardbearer being a focus character... I only see Brandon doing that if the Parshendi end up being good guys. I mean, the Forsaken are all pretty cool in WoT, and their PoV chapters rock. A book focused around one of them wouldn't work though. So unless the Parshendi end up allying with the Alethi (and how that would ever happen, I have no idea), I see only PoV chapters for the Parshendi shardbearer and not a book focused on him.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 04:36:54 PM by Salkara »

Stormblessed

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2010, 01:23:29 AM »
Salkara, you better post a spoiler alert on your post. Some people may have not read the HoA yet.
 -- Darkeyed Soldier

FollowYourMuse

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2010, 03:00:15 AM »
Kaladin x2
Dalinar
Shallan
Szeth
Talenel

definately Jasnah

Brandon Sanderson Interview: I used six main characters; there was another character who has not yet appeared in the new version, and Jasnah was a main character with as many viewpoints as the others. It was too distracting, too much to juggle.
http://fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com/2010/09/new-brandon-sanderson-interview.html

I can not think of what Adolin could bring that a Dalinar  couldnt, and what in his past do we need to know?

More Likely I see
Navani
Taravangian
And maybe Rock  or Sigzil or one of the other Bridgeman. There are many Questions there.

Would love to have more from Axies, or Ishikk

Fireborn

• Level 9
  • Geniusness Explosion!
    • View Profile
    • Rampant And Rhetoric
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2010, 04:53:00 AM »
Yeah, we'd only get a Parshendi Shardbearer book if they were good, but even if they're not, I still want viewpoint from them cuz they're awesome.

I'll venture a guess and say there'll be five male books and five female as a parallel to the Heralds, which would be funny seeing as one of the books will probably be a Herald.

Baxil's (sp?) mistress is definitely a good idea.

I'd actually like less of the viewpoints to be Alethi as they seem to be the most normal - well, as "normal" as you can be on Roshar - race.  I want more odd sorts of viewpoints.

I'll just toss this out there: Tvlakv.
When to live is to die, and to die is to live, does either really matter?

Stormblessed

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2010, 06:31:11 AM »
Shen the Parshman
 -- Darkeyed Soldier

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2010, 08:30:41 AM »
Szeth gets a book. Jasnah gets a book. Talanel is not confirmed to get a book, but I certainly want it to happen.

Unless Brandon decided really recently, SA2 would either be a Dalinar book or a Shallan book. If Dalinar, it will be The Highprince of War. If Shallan, then The Shattered Plains.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Salkara

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2010, 04:54:30 PM »
Szeth gets a book. Jasnah gets a book. Talanel is not confirmed to get a book, but I certainly want it to happen.

Unless Brandon decided really recently, SA2 would either be a Dalinar book or a Shallan book. If Dalinar, it will be The Highprince of War. If Shallan, then The Shattered Plains.

So I guess that means we're probably going see a lot of both of them in the next book either way. I'm really okay with that. Excited you might say.

@Stormblessed: thanks for catching that.

peasupplyco

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2010, 05:27:16 AM »
I think I am most excited at the chance to read a full back story on Talenel. I wasn't even positive the guy was still alive at the end of the book, but reading on forums has convinced me he is.

I am, of course, interested to learn more about all the other characters.. but think of it, he's a Herald. :)

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2010, 06:40:27 AM »
I hadn't heard that for the title of the Shallan book. Is that in the new interview? Someone should transcribe that.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!