Author Topic: Medical Hemalurgy  (Read 5076 times)

Czanos

• Level 7
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Medical Hemalurgy
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2010, 06:59:50 AM »
Since Hemalurgy requires infusing the spike with at least part of the dying person's spirit, I would imagine some semblance of life would be required in the donor for the spike to absorb. If the spike was a physical link, people on life support would be fine, but since it tears apart their spirit, I'm not sure if even a brain dead donor would work.
I came because I heard stories, tales of a lengendary man.
A man who was known as the Lord of the Mists, a man they named Survivor.
A man called Hope.

Stormblessed

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2010, 07:04:35 AM »
We're getting to a very philosophical grey area here. If someone is a vegetable, something akin to a living corpse, or an unfinished Elantrian, does that mean they have no spirit? There is no definite scientific answer, and I think it is up to Brandon as the author to define the limits of his magic system.
"You've killed me. Bastards, you've killed me!
 -- Darkeyed Soldier

Kykeon

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2010, 07:08:27 AM »
The ironic would be that the process has actual historical basis for being evil.
Indeed.

There could be a few problems beside the one you just mentioned.
Humanity was changed a lot during the ascension ( there were shorter years, a colder climate,  they received the abbillity to breathe ash 24/7/, there was different light, a completely different nutrition etc.); we can't be sure that a human after being reverted back to the original version would be still be able to withstand being given a spike.

Stormblessed

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2010, 07:10:55 AM »
I would assume that the power of Ruin's shard, in which they are tapping into, would give them the power to stay alive despite a spike sticking in their head. Not even the people of the Final Empire were that resilient to allow them to survive a spike in the head without shard help.
"You've killed me. Bastards, you've killed me!
 -- Darkeyed Soldier