Author Topic: Spren and the Almighty (SPOILERS-for Mistborn too)  (Read 7557 times)

cromptj

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Spren and the Almighty (SPOILERS-for Mistborn too)
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2010, 09:23:04 PM »
do we know if cultivation is dead/alive?

Fireborn

• Level 9
  • Geniusness Explosion!
    • View Profile
    • Rampant And Rhetoric
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2010, 11:00:31 PM »
Well, we know that she was alive at the time that the Almighty recorded his vision message.  "Cultivation, she is better than I."

I'd say she's alive now, I mean, without a Shard to stand against Odium, he could just wreck everything.  Like what happened with Ruin and Prerservation, it was only Preservation's influence that kept Ruin from destroying everything.
When to live is to die, and to die is to live, does either really matter?

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2010, 03:32:14 AM »
Of course, that's the idea behind Odium killing other Shards, so it makes an equal amount of sense (if not a greater amount) that Cultivation is dead, killed off by Odium the same as all the others who opposed him.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

jkincaid

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2010, 05:16:33 AM »
Hello everyone new user here.  Been reading Brandon's books for years but just now decided to get into the forums, so I'm probably not as enlightened as ya'll.  Ok as for this theory that there were no highstorms in the past during the time of the Heralds or the shadowdays or however they'd be called.  Well there was the story Hoid told Kaladin about Derethil and the Wandersail, and how he took the ship out to sail the sea during a highstorm.  Now obviously the story is somewhat suspect, and even Hoid admits that it could just be a legend or folktail, but then again, the people said the same thing about Voidbringers and we know that was wrong.  I wouldn't be surprised if there was at least an origin of truth to the story.  So it would seem that highstorms may have existed that long ago, but then again there was definitely some differences from how things are now.  I guess we'll just need another book to find out more.  ;D

Stormblessed

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2010, 06:17:21 AM »
There is always that saying that in every story there is a grain of truth.
"You've killed me. Bastards, you've killed me!
 -- Darkeyed Soldier

Hero of Ages

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2010, 12:38:37 AM »
Mountains protecting shin = lake/well/pool of Cultivation's power

Origin of Highstorms = lake/well/pool of Almighty's shard power

Thats my theory anyway.

The Highstorms don't come from the Almighty,  they are from Odium.  I saw Roshar divided into 3 sections.  The far west (Shin) protected/nurtured by cultivation, the central region protected by the Almighty, and the far east the origin of the highstorms destroyed by Odium.  Cultivation's area may have been larger but she was pushed westward when the Almighty died.
I must not fear;
Fear is the mind killer;
I will face my fear;
I will let it pass through me;
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing;
Only I will remain.
-Paul Muad'dib Atreides-

Anticipation of death is worse than death itself.
-Me-

Cheese Ninja

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2010, 03:54:34 AM »
Mountains protecting shin = lake/well/pool of Cultivation's power

Origin of Highstorms = lake/well/pool of Almighty's shard power

Thats my theory anyway.

The Highstorms don't come from the Almighty,  they are from Odium.  I saw Roshar divided into 3 sections.  The far west (Shin) protected/nurtured by cultivation, the central region protected by the Almighty, and the far east the origin of the highstorms destroyed by Odium.  Cultivation's area may have been larger but she was pushed westward when the Almighty died.

Odium might have hijacked the highstorm creation system recently, but it still seems to have been the province either the Almighty, or even multiple shards.  It's too powerful on too much of a constant basis, and powers all the magic we've seen so far in WoK except probably the Old Magic.

Also, there are two different ways to read this epigraph, one that includes Odium as one of the three, and one that counts him as a 4th.  Which way are you reading it?:
11.“Three of sixteen ruled, but now the Broken One reigns.”—Collected: Chachanan, 1173, 84 seconds pre-death. Subject: a cutpurse with the wasting sickness, of partial Iriali descent.

Could spren live off/be an extension of/have a symbiotic relationship with stormlight?  If cut gems are better at trapping spren inside them, could that be why they hold stormlight better?  I'll assume that most of the spren captured don't have minds/personality like Syl does, there seems to be quite a few different types of spren, some of which are extremely small.  It's mentioned in 2 or 3 different places that cut gems hold more stormlight.

Stormblessed

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2010, 04:33:13 AM »
There is too much of the Almighty in the highstorms for them to originally come from Odium, though it is possible for Odium to have 'hijacked' them.

I don't think it the land can just be broken into three parts and a shard given to each part. There is much mixture between the societies, indicating that the shards have influenced more than one culture.

Also, there are two different ways to read this epigraph, one that includes Odium as one of the three, and one that counts him as a 4th.  Which way are you reading it?:
11.“Three of sixteen ruled, but now the Broken One reigns.”—Collected: Chachanan, 1173, 84 seconds pre-death. Subject: a cutpurse with the wasting sickness, of partial Iriali descent.

Brandon has stated that there are only 3 shards directly related to this series, so I think the former interpretation is more likely (Odium being one of the three).
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 07:20:00 AM by Stormblessed »
 -- Darkeyed Soldier

Kykeon

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2010, 06:45:02 AM »
The broken one?
Wait, maybe Odium is not evil but simply *mad* or incomplete?!
Highstorms transmit the Almighty's journal entries to all who are sensitive enough to receive them, which makes me doubt they are (entirely?) caused by Odium.

Stormblessed

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2010, 07:21:50 AM »
The broken one?
Wait, maybe Odium is not evil but simply *mad* or incomplete?!
Highstorms transmit the Almighty's journal entries to all who are sensitive enough to receive them, which makes me doubt they are (entirely?) caused by Odium.

Nothing more dangerous than a mad-man. And constant hate would make anyone mad. But what Hoid said in his note still stands, before taking his shard, Rayse was a loathsome man.
 -- Darkeyed Soldier

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2010, 05:58:44 PM »
There is too much of the Almighty in the highstorms for them to originally come from Odium, though it is possible for Odium to have 'hijacked' them.

I don't think it the land can just be broken into three parts and a shard given to each part. There is much mixture between the societies, indicating that the shards have influenced more than one culture.

Brandon has stated that there are only 3 shards directly related to this series, so I think the former interpretation is more likely (Odium being one of the three).

Yes, well, I'd like to see this quote.  I've been waiting for it, actually.  Where is it?
Nature hates being reified.