Author Topic: I'm confused with Adonalsium. Can anyone help me?  (Read 5604 times)

Lord Terrisman

• Level 4
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
I'm confused with Adonalsium. Can anyone help me?
« on: September 27, 2010, 04:20:22 AM »
Okay I have a few questions.  I 'm a big fan of Brandon's but am still needing to get a grasp on the whole Adonalsium thing.  Not that you guys haven't been a  GIANT help so far.  Here are my questions:

1) How did you guys find out about all this Adonalsium and stuff?
2) What's the basic background of Adonalsium, the Cosmere and Hoid ( with WoK spoilers)?
3) What are the shards so far and what are their powers and such ( without WoK spoilers)?

P.S- Thank you and sorry for troubling you guys about the WoK spoilers and, it's just that i"m almost halfway through and I don't want the ending spoiled.  I think you guys understand.

Terrisman243

• Level 5
  • Join the Omegas!
    • View Profile
Re: I'm confused with Adonalsium. Can anyone help me?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 05:30:38 AM »
Here there be Hero of Ages spoilers...

1) We started figuring out from what Brandon said about Ruin and Preservation in the ancient and forever long HoA Q&A. That's when we started putting the pieces together, hunting for Hoid, etc.
2) A long long time ago, Adonalsium shattered. Hoid was there. Adonalsium shattered into (probably) 16 shards, each with seperate names and focuses of personality (Ruin, Preservation, Odium(aka Hate), Endowment, Cultivation). These shards were likely given to people that were around that the writer of the headers in section two knew(writer is likely Hoid). The shards are now on seperate planets, with some having two (Scadriel, with Ruin and Preservation), some have one (Endowment on Warbreaker world), and some have three (Roshar).

Hoid seems to be a name that appears in each of the world, usually in a job that requires a quick tongue. Pretty much what we look for when we look for Hoid is what is in the first set of Interludes. Beard, quick tongue, white hair, arrowed face, etc. He was a bggar in Elantris, an informant and leader of Terris refugees in Mistborn, and a storyteller in Warbreaker.

3)Known shards- Okay, so each shard has the name of the shard, and the name of the Shardholder, the person who took upon the power assumably like Sazed did. Ruin (Ati), Preservation (Leras), Endowment (?), Odium (Rayse), ? (Aona), ? (Skai), ? (B... something. I don't remember the other one that the epigraph writer said), ? (Cultivation), Almighty.

Pretty much their 'powers' are what the shard molds the minds of the humans into. For example, Ati was originally a nice guy, but he became a jerk after thousands of years as Ruin.

Hope that answers your questions!

Stormblessed

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 07:10:52 AM »
I'd read all of Brandon's books before I even visited the forums. From the beginning something felt off. The books had too similar themes, and I knew Brandon was too good a writer to create rookie mistakes like that.

But I never fully understood just how awesome a writer Brandon was until I visited the forums, both here and on 17th Shard. A new world has been opened up to me. I am know doing a re-read of all Brandon's books, and just revelling in there awesomeness.  :D
"You've killed me. Bastards, you've killed me!
 -- Darkeyed Soldier

Never

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 04:55:05 PM »
Pretty much their 'powers' are what the shard molds the minds of the humans into. For example, Ati was originally a nice guy, but he became a jerk after thousands of years as Ruin.

I've always thought of Preservation as more of the jerk.

Ruin and Preservation make a deal that Preservation refuses to honor. He then imprisions Ruin for centuries. If I were Ruin, I'd do my best to break free and then kick Preservation in the godly bits.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 03:38:51 AM by Never »

Kykeon

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 05:19:23 PM »
What Never said. :p
I have a theory that "Cultivation" is the entity Sazed become (simply because that concept incorporates both Ruin and Preservation so well IMO) after becoming a "full" deity.

Tasslehoof

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2010, 09:41:22 PM »
I have a theory that "Cultivation" is the entity Sazed become (simply because that concept incorporates both Ruin and Preservation so well IMO) after becoming a "full" deity.

This doesn't really jive with the idea that Roshar has 3 shards, if Sazed was Cultivation, there would be 4 shards.  Unless, when someone gets 2 shards, they form 1?  I just don't imagine it like that in my mind.  We know Odium, the Almighty, and Cultivation are all shards, and no where does Brandon suggest that Cultivation is the morphing of 2.  Although it is entirely possible, I really just highly doubt it :P
Now why'd you have to go and push that button?!

- Famous Words of Doom.

Munin

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2010, 10:27:21 PM »
Cultivation is female.
There's a difference between what's best and what's right. What's best might be different tomorrow or the day after, but right and wrong will stay the same after a thousand years.

Lord Terrisman

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2010, 12:34:42 AM »
Thanks so much for the help everyone.  You guys are awesome.  Anyway I have one more question if you guys can answer it. 

1) What time do each of Brandon Sanderson's books go on during the history of the Cosmere? 

P.S-  I was wondering this because if Aona and Skai are dead and Odium messed everything up was that the cause of the Chasm in Arelon on the planet Sel.  So I'm just confused on what time during the Cosmere's history are all the books going on at.  I know I've been told this before I just forget.

rjl

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2010, 12:36:19 AM »
Brandon has said that they happen in the order he has them published.

A note however, the letter that revealed that Aona and Skai are dead is talking of past events, so we can't know for sure whether that was before or after Elantris.

Stormblessed

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2010, 01:53:46 AM »
I think the popular theory is that Odium killed Aona, which resulted in the Roed.

Personally I think Aona's shard is somehow manifested in the land, which is why the land is so important when drawing aons (note the aon is like a map of the land). Anyway, I believe these quotes help establish a link between Rayse and the Reod:
This first one is from Elantris:
It had come with a tempest- that much even Roaden remembered. The earth itself had shattered, an enormous chasm appearing in the south, all of Arelon quaking.
This quote seems to fit quite nicely with Hoid's letter in WoK:
One need only look at the aftermath of his brief visit to Sel to see proof of what I say.
This is good evidence to support that Rayse/Odium caused the Roed.
 -- Darkeyed Soldier

Lord Terrisman

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2010, 04:21:19 AM »
If Odium killing Aona possibly caused the Reod then I wonder what Odium's murder of Skai did to Sel.

Stormblessed

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2010, 04:40:06 AM »
If Odium killing Aona possibly caused the Reod then I wonder what Odium's murder of Skai did to Sel.
Hopefully we'll find out soon.
 -- Darkeyed Soldier

Munin

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2010, 05:42:12 AM »
Hopefully we'll find out soon.
Maybe it created the Skaze.
There's a difference between what's best and what's right. What's best might be different tomorrow or the day after, but right and wrong will stay the same after a thousand years.

Kykeon

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2010, 08:11:45 AM »

This doesn't really jive with the idea that Roshar has 3 shards, if Sazed was Cultivation, there would be 4 shards.
We are talking about gods here, who says shardholders can't talk to each other over long interstellar distances?  ;D
Unless, when someone gets 2 shards, they form 1? 
That's what I was suggesting.  :)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 10:07:26 AM by Kykeon »

Kierlionn

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2010, 09:58:32 AM »

This doesn't really jive with the idea that Roshar has 3 shards, if Sazed was Cultivation, there would be 4 shards.
We are talking about gods here, who says shardholders can't talk to each other over long interstellar distances?  ;D
Unless, when someone gets 2 shards, they form 1? 
That's what I was suggesting.
I agree obtaining more than 1 shard will have the shards form together, but not necessarily that Sazed is Cultivation.
If something is broken you can start putting it back together, so why couldn't you do that with the shards, eve if you are missing some pieces you just won't have the whole thing, just a bigger broken part (Larger shard in this case).