Author Topic: Shardplate and Surgebinding (**Spoilers**)  (Read 2032 times)

gideon

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Shardplate and Surgebinding (**Spoilers**)
« on: September 23, 2010, 07:56:23 PM »
I'm on my re-read (actually, first read after listening to audiobook).  In the Prologue, Szeth comments that shardplate interferes with what he does (surgebinding).  But, later in one of Dalinar's visions, he sees Knights Radiant performing what appears as surgebinding.  What gives?

My theory is that it has to do with the spren and "the words"  After they say "the words" as Kaladin did, it changes something so that the plate no longer interferes.

But, this also begs the question that I haven't seen addressed anywhere.  Does Szeth have a spren?

rjl

• Level 5
    • View Profile
Re: Shardplate and Surgebinding (**Spoilers**)
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 09:30:37 PM »
These things have been dscussed quite a bit, it's generally thought that there is some method to surgebinding in plate that Szeth doesn't know.

There are all sorts of theories about Szeth and a spren, some think he has one but we haven't seen it, some think he had one and has driven it away somehow, some think it's imprisoned possibly in his oathstone.

Munin

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 10:19:17 PM »
There are all sorts of theories about Szeth and a spren, some think he has one but we haven't seen it, some think he had one and has driven it away somehow, some think it's imprisoned possibly in his oathstone.
Y'know, now that we know that fabrials have Spren imprisoned inside, I could see Szeth's oathstone being a fabrial.
There's a difference between what's best and what's right. What's best might be different tomorrow or the day after, but right and wrong will stay the same after a thousand years.

gideon

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 11:09:42 PM »
OK, thanks.  I tried to look for this first.  The search didn't work and no topic titles looked obvious.  Can you point me to any of the previous topics?

Stormblessed

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 08:11:42 AM »
Y'know, now that we know that fabrials have Spren imprisoned inside, I could see Szeth's oathstone being a fabrial.

I believe I have said this numerous times before.

I think fabriel causes inefficiency which is what interferes with the shardplate, as the spren bond is pure. (Free the spren!!)

Also, the glyphs on the shardplates probably have something to do with the ability to surgebind while wearing the shardplate.
"You've killed me. Bastards, you've killed me!
 -- Darkeyed Soldier