Author Topic: Official WoK Fan Art (Here there be spoilers)  (Read 55847 times)

DomainWalker

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Official WoK Fan Art (Here there be spoilers)
« Reply #120 on: April 06, 2011, 08:28:02 PM »
I wanted to give everyone an update on my progress; i am still working on getting the plains mesh completed and have it successful into maya now with a low poly count. Once i have the UV's laid out i can then start texturing and shaping it.

Questions for the group
1. What colors are the plains? I have seen some red mentioned along with others.
2. What would be considered an average amount of rock formations? Is it rare to see them or does every plateau have one or two
3. Where did the rock formations come from? Shattered during the breaking? Already there and the others feel into the chasms?
4. What colors are the plants there? I was actually thinking about adding vivid colors since they come out after a high storm, maybe they have been infused in some way?
5. High Storm…. Is it low to the ground or does it span from ground level to a very high altitude?

Sorry for the questions but I am working on ideas for upcoming items in the scene and want it as close as possible to the book. I just don’t recall all of the fine details from the book. I really need to listen to it again  :)

Argent

• Level 5
  • Lord
    • View Profile
    • Wowhead
« Reply #121 on: April 06, 2011, 09:43:03 PM »
Tor had an article about a real storm photograph that supposedly looks like a Highstorm - here is the link. It looks very similar to the Way of Kings cover art.

Actually, looking at the cover art again, I think it may be a picture of the Shattered Plains :)
Power doesn't always have to corrupt. In many ways, it can change a man for the better.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 06, 2011, 10:34:55 PM »

1 - I actually think it's more of a slate gray color.  Kind of like slip.

2 - I don't think they would be on a lot of the plateaus.  Probably 2 in 7?  Maybe?

3 - The formations would probably look like they had been formed in the Shattering and then I would assume they were smoothed out by the winds over time.   Chasms would be wider on the bottom than on the top.

4 - I always imagined the plants being colors like goldenrod and puce.  The goldenrod because they most likely wouldn't be green, so that appeared to me like a color of a plant that didn't get a lot of sun, and the puce because there are a lot of plants that are a darker red and I assumed that's what they would look like if they had less water.

5 - What Argent said.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

CabbyHat

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 06, 2011, 11:12:43 PM »
I imagine the top of the plains being a very dull, unrelieved dark reddish-brown, with only the occasional rockbud or pile of rocks to break things up. (In my mind the rock formations are just piles of stones and boulders that were brought in and broken up by the highstorms, and cemented together by crem or just jumbled together loosely to be swept away by the next storm.) Down in the chasms would be a completely different story; cool, dark crevasses with water dripping and flowing everywhere, feeding patches of lush, vibrant greenery highlighted by lifespren.
Just an idle comment. My comments are often idle. I can never get them to do any solid work.

dhalagirl

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 07, 2011, 03:14:31 AM »
I imagined the colors to be shades of red and tan, similar to the red rock found in Southern Utah.  As for plant life I'd take cues from desert plants.  Muted shades of green with hearty exteriors, after a storm flowers in shades of pink, purple, yellow and white.

ccstat

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 13, 2011, 07:49:07 PM »
While a different kind of art, I thought I'd post this poem here. If it belongs on a different thread, please point me in the right direction.
I've been participating in the poem-a-day challenge for National Poetry Month over at my blog (mythoughtorchard.blogspot.com), and today's offering was inspired by the WoK. It's not a ketek, but it takes a similar form (reverso rather than palindromic). Thoughts?

Dalinar
He is weak,
a man who thinks
the world relies on him.
To be saved
he obeys
these words and teachings,
following
a forgotten king.
This man may become
our only hope, though
it is
so difficult to see.
Remember this truth:
Strength before weakness!
Remember this truth,
so difficult to see.
It is
our only hope (though
this man may become
a forgotten king)--
following
these words and teachings
he obeys.
To be saved,
the world relies on him:
a man who thinks
he is weak.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 07:52:20 PM by ccstat »

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 13, 2011, 09:19:16 PM »
Ha ha ha ha, that is pretty awesome. It's not a ketek, but it's a chiasmus.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Inkthinker

• Level 11
  • Animation and Illustration
    • View Profile
    • inkthinker.deviantart.com
« Reply #127 on: April 13, 2011, 10:24:21 PM »
That's incredibly cool.

andygal

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 13, 2011, 10:48:28 PM »
I love it, it is awesome.

dhalagirl

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 14, 2011, 02:38:49 AM »
Ditto.  Way cool!

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 14, 2011, 02:58:24 PM »
OK, ccstat, that is officially cool.  I especially like the bit where you parallel the forgotten king with the potential future king.  Well done.  The best types of chiasmus are the ones where the form complements the content.
Nature hates being reified.

ccstat

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 15, 2011, 06:48:54 PM »
Thanks for the compliments! I'm glad you like it. I may try my hand at a ketek, but those are harder.

DomainWalker

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 24, 2011, 12:39:51 AM »
So i finally had a chance to rebuild the mesh and finish the UV's. Here are two renders with a basic terrain material added. I also did a quick sculpt of the terrain to give it some hills and test the mesh. I still have a long way to go with this. Currently my biggest issue is getting the perspective right. The chasms are at least 20 units wide or more but i can’t seem to convey that in the image. Clearly I need to practice and learn allot more when it comes to building terrains.
Still need to add rock formations, plants, bridges, storm and dirty it all up

« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 02:46:52 AM by DomainWalker »

Argent

• Level 5
  • Lord
    • View Profile
    • Wowhead
« Reply #133 on: April 24, 2011, 08:28:57 PM »
I am pretty happy with the second image. Only thing I am concerned about is the size of the actual plateaus - after all, small armies are supposed to be able to have an active battle going on most of them. I don't know how to fix it though; if you up the scale and make the plateaus bigger, the chasms would become too small...
Power doesn't always have to corrupt. In many ways, it can change a man for the better.

DomainWalker

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 25, 2011, 02:27:14 AM »
@argent
I agree with your comments and maybe that is what keeps bugging me about the perspective of all this. I think that is indeed what keeps running through my head as I look at this. So I really don’t have time “for the contest I am in” to go back and create a new one. But I may in the future once I get this one complete. For my main camera shot I think it will be lower and only focusing on one small area. I would like to put one of the stationary bridges crossing the chasm.  I have read through most “not all’ of the thread pertaining to the mobile bridges. But what about the stationary ones? How big are they and if the bridge builders crafted detailed mobile bridges what kind of stationary ones did they build? Did they have sides to them? Where they built flat or did they have an arch to them.
As always I welcome feedback and appreciate everyone’s comments and suggestions