Author Topic: Official WoK Fan Art (Here there be spoilers)  (Read 55855 times)

DomainWalker

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Official WoK Fan Art (Here there be spoilers)
« Reply #90 on: March 30, 2011, 08:44:37 PM »
no i wouldn't mind at all, i have changed it since then so maybe i can send a new update in a little while. i did notice the sunken area's and i have been working on adding variations to it

DomainWalker

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 30, 2011, 09:39:52 PM »
ok i have finished working on this for today "i think" i have looked at it to long. in the image below you will notice i have changed the landscape and added in a few stand ins. the cylinders are 6 units high and the backshift bridge is 20X16 units. i do appreciate any feedback on this.

please feel free to mark it up if you like :)

thanks
DomainWalker

Juan Dolor

• Level 5
    • View Profile
    • stupid LiveJournal thing
« Reply #92 on: March 30, 2011, 11:03:13 PM »
Man, does that look like a chocolatey dessert to anyone else?

Argent

• Level 5
  • Lord
    • View Profile
    • Wowhead
« Reply #93 on: March 31, 2011, 12:45:17 AM »
This looks better, I think. You still need to make the different plateaus have different heights though :)

On a side note, it's nice to see somebody actually working and making progress on a piece of fan art.
Power doesn't always have to corrupt. In many ways, it can change a man for the better.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 31, 2011, 12:50:00 AM »

The chasms need to be much deeper I think. >>'  I could be wrong though.  At the current scale probably 60-75 unites deep on average.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

DomainWalker

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 31, 2011, 04:41:50 AM »
OK i have attempted to make the suggested changes....... i am at 1.7 million polys right now for this terrain so i am about as far as i can go for now. i also zoomed in on this image to hopefully show a better perspective.

CabbyHat

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 31, 2011, 09:31:55 AM »
I'd say that looks just about right. It's not quite what I'd pictured but I can't find any fault with it compared to the descriptions in the book. :)
Just an idle comment. My comments are often idle. I can never get them to do any solid work.

Inkthinker

• Level 11
  • Animation and Illustration
    • View Profile
    • inkthinker.deviantart.com
« Reply #97 on: March 31, 2011, 03:21:15 PM »
It's very rounded at the edges, more so that it probably should be. Shattered edges, not worn (at least not a the top).

If you're at 1.7M polys, I think you should stop modeling for a bit, and start optimizing. For a barren, cracked landscape that is WAY high. Flatten it out some and use maps to regain the subtle variations in terrain.

Juan Dolor

• Level 5
    • View Profile
    • stupid LiveJournal thing
« Reply #98 on: March 31, 2011, 03:46:27 PM »

DomainWalker

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 31, 2011, 04:17:21 PM »
thanks for the replies, i agree in this pic it looks kinda soft and chewy :) but once i get some textures on it and add some other details and get into Maya to render i think it will look much differently. i am going to move on for awhile and model some bridges, plants and a shard bearer for a hero shot.

shard bearer or radiance? what details should be used on the armor? what colors... i am open to suggestions

Zlurpo

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 31, 2011, 07:28:23 PM »
I don't know if it's accurate or not, but my vision has always been that the walls of the chasms would go straight down, or possibly even undercut the top by a bit.  So that the bottom of the chasm is wider than the top, due to the flood of dirt and rock rivers that run through them during storms.  So less of a sloping valley "U" shape, and more "|_|" shape... if that makes sense.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 31, 2011, 09:56:59 PM »
I don't know if it's accurate or not, but my vision has always been that the walls of the chasms would go straight down, or possibly even undercut the top by a bit.  So that the bottom of the chasm is wider than the top, due to the flood of dirt and rock rivers that run through them during storms.  So less of a sloping valley "U" shape, and more "|_|" shape... if that makes sense.

I agree with this.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

DomainWalker

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 01, 2011, 05:29:48 AM »
OK I could not live with the last picture or the process i was taken. i went back to the drawing boad and tried my best to take everyones comments into consideration. below is my latest render and i hope it looks okay :) but please let me know if something still doesn't look right. or if it does that would be nice to know also

dhalagirl

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 01, 2011, 07:46:37 AM »
I like it!  That's pretty freaking close to what I imagined.  Awesome job!

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 01, 2011, 02:04:52 PM »

It looks freaking amazing!  The bottoms of the chasms still need to be a bit wider.

It could just be me, but I always imagined it to be more red colored.  Then again I guess red wouldn't make much sense considering all of the deposits from the storms.  So I'm probably wrong.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。