Author Topic: Official WoK Fan Art (Here there be spoilers)  (Read 55841 times)

MattL

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Official WoK Fan Art (Here there be spoilers)
« Reply #60 on: March 03, 2011, 06:35:24 PM »
Im not too sure if I like how this one turned out, and I dont have much experience with color. Anyway, here is my idea of what the parshendi would look like. 

Matt

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 03, 2011, 11:25:49 PM »

That looks amazing!   Though I think the black on the skin should be darker?  Though that may be hard to do and still show detail.

I really like the way you did the armor, it looks almost exactly as I pictured it.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Argent

• Level 5
  • Lord
    • View Profile
    • Wowhead
« Reply #62 on: March 04, 2011, 06:58:19 AM »
Yea, armor is very nice! I thought it's more fully - the breast piece looking KIND OF like a turtle shell, but this looks better, regardless of whether it's more realistic :)
Power doesn't always have to corrupt. In many ways, it can change a man for the better.

Zlurpo

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 04, 2011, 08:10:55 AM »
Nice!  Good to see some parshendi art!

CabbyHat

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 04, 2011, 08:07:38 PM »
I'm jealous, I haven't been able to come close to making the Parshendi look that good. :) Only thing, though, didn't the book say they had carapace helmets too?
Just an idle comment. My comments are often idle. I can never get them to do any solid work.

Inkthinker

• Level 11
  • Animation and Illustration
    • View Profile
    • inkthinker.deviantart.com
« Reply #65 on: March 04, 2011, 10:56:59 PM »
Very nice! I like that you worked the dreds of the beard in such a way that they kinda resemble tentacles, got a little zoidberg face going on... I think that's perfect.

Though I was also going to call you on the lack of a skullcap, and I think the skin marbling might be a bit too Kratos. The armor looks properly shell/carapace-like, though. Good job!

MattL

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 05, 2011, 03:14:01 AM »
I didnt know if anyone would call me out on the non helmet issue, I never found the part in the book in said they had the helmet. Figured they didnt have one. Im currently rereading the book to my wife and we came across a passage where it says they have helms like the day after I posted the pic. Duh moment. I also think its funny someone mentioned the breastplate to be turtleish. TMNTs were actually in my mind when I thought about doing the armor. Used to draw Leonardo daily when I was younger. Thanks for the comments. I may try to do it again with a few changes.

Inkthinker

• Level 11
  • Animation and Illustration
    • View Profile
    • inkthinker.deviantart.com
« Reply #67 on: March 05, 2011, 07:13:15 AM »
Haha, yeah if there's one thing you can be certain of, it's that fans will call you out if you miss something.

The helmets are described as skullcaps (literally, I guess), so I imagine they'd contour pretty closely. Remember that the design mandate for most anything related to nature on Roshar is going to be arthropods, crustaceans and coral. If you take that into account as you go, it's easier to stay on track. But the best thing to do is make note of descriptors in the text (much easier in a searchable e-book) and draw directly from that. I think the best place to look is during the chasm scavenging scenes with Bridge Four... there's a good description of their armor and how it grows out when Kaladin tries to strip one the first time. There's descriptors of their clothing and weapons as well.

It's also worth remembering that while the parshendi look primitive, their weapons are very finely made... I wouldn't necessarily make them look too rough. They carry short bows rather than long bows, and I think a smaller hand-axe might be more suitable than a long-hafted battle-axe. Maybe look into Mongolian weapon design and extrapolate from there.

Zlurpo

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 08, 2011, 08:06:44 AM »

It's also worth remembering that while the parshendi look primitive, their weapons are very finely made.

I can't wait to find out the reasons behind all that sort of thing...  The history of the parshendi/parshmen.  I'm almost finished with  my second time through the book, it's great to see what I notice this time around.

Zlurpo

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 11, 2011, 05:46:44 PM »
  Also I picture the knife in Kaldadin's left hand as he was holding a spear in his right, but again I don't know how true to source that is. 

So I just finished re-reading the book, and... I'm still not sure.  I don't know if he was still holding the broken/cut spear or not.  But I did realize that, A, this whole thing would took totally wicked in slow motion in a movie and would be impossible to follow at regular speeds, and B, it would be really hard to grab the spearhead like that right handed.  But if he grabbed it left handed it would be really hard to go all eye-stabbing the way he did.  So maybe I'm just picturing something wrong.

aronsamma

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 22, 2011, 01:26:04 AM »

i drew something. i don't like it much

Juan Dolor

• Level 5
    • View Profile
    • stupid LiveJournal thing
« Reply #71 on: March 22, 2011, 03:14:08 PM »
I think it's awesome.  His head is like an egg.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 22, 2011, 11:42:14 PM »

I like it.  The black/white is fun.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

aronsamma

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 23, 2011, 12:41:29 AM »
thanks guys. i had plans for drawing it nicely with shadows and whatnot, but as it turns out i'm absolutely awful with a wacom tablet, so i went the cartoony route. the perspective was all i really wanted to get across with it anyway

andygal

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 23, 2011, 12:50:54 AM »
the perspective is great!