Author Topic: Official WoK Fan Art (Here there be spoilers)  (Read 55683 times)

CabbyHat

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Official WoK Fan Art (Here there be spoilers)
« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2010, 06:23:16 AM »
One simple thing you can do is not just line them up next to each other. This way shows off the details really well, but it looks like they posed like that for the cameras. Showing a shot from behind the shardbearer or at an angle would really help to enhance the sense of Kaladin bearing down on him. (This is a personal choice, but I would probably have shown it from a bird's-eye view behind Kaladin, which would give a great view of them both and enhance the sense of him taking on a much stronger enemy.) That's just my inexperienced and unprofessional take, though - take my advice with a grain of salt.
Just an idle comment. My comments are often idle. I can never get them to do any solid work.

pkmnstr

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2011, 05:44:11 PM »
As someone who's compiling a sketchbook of concept art for WoK, because I'm crazy and I am just that dorky. What are your ideas/input on what these different cultures resemble? I couldn't quite grasp the architecture of Alethkar, besides the fact that everything is made of stone...practically. While reading Mistborn I could get massive visuals of the city but with WoK I was finding it harder. Kharbranth was easy to visualize but others were not.

Just a general random question. Comment on anything. Like the style of Dalinar's hair, for example. -shrug-

...-poke-

Tilinka

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2011, 04:42:57 PM »
Fan-Knitting!

This was my first go at charting my own pattern. I'm going to do it slightly differently the next time. (No matter how much I love cables, they aren't always the best option for making curving lines.) Yarn is a handspun merino/yak blend which is very soft and warm.

I think I'm going to play with socks next! (By next, I mean after I finish my current pair. And the octo-scarf. And the mossy cardigan. So maybe in a couple months.)

CabbyHat

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2011, 06:22:11 PM »
Oh wow, that is EPIC. :D
Just an idle comment. My comments are often idle. I can never get them to do any solid work.

Sprouts

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2011, 01:59:04 AM »
^Agreed, that is one of the coolest things I've seen.

Melriken

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2011, 12:03:54 AM »
"There are a couple other things I'm not thrilled with..."  you nailed the main one!  I need to work on adding motion.  I don't really have more ideas, I tried to make them as move-y as I could, but I've struggled for years with that. 

Does anyone have any good advice on how to add more motion into my work?  On all of it?
With the shardbearer holding his sword behind his head and Kaladin just standing there with his knife there isn't much action to show.

Not sure how 'true to source' it is, but when I picture that scene I see the Shardbearer swinging is sword low (and in a slight crouch in order to do so) with Kaldadin jumping over the blade and thrusting is knife forward into the Shardbearer's eye.  Also I picture the knife in Kaldadin's left hand as he was holding a spear in his right, but again I don't know how true to source that is.  I would sketch something up for you, but (A) I am horrible with computer art and (B) my camera is on the fritz.  Also I don't partiuclarly like the idea of sharing my art with the whole world as I don't feel I am as good at it as most of my friends seem to think I am (though some of them are very good at it).

Inkthinker

• Level 11
  • Animation and Illustration
    • View Profile
    • inkthinker.deviantart.com
« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2011, 06:57:26 AM »
The trick to drawing motion in general is to understand "line of action". This is sort of an invisible line that follows the arc of a movement, and that line determines the position and action of other elements that follow it, such as clothing or hair or even bodies themselves. You can learn more about line of action by studying animation and animation instructionals, the best of which is probably Richard Williams's book The Animator's Survival Kit. Although heck, even a Google search for the phrase can probably turn up some good advice.

In all cases I urge artists to never think in terms of "pose", but rather to think in terms of "performance" or "action". Think about what the character you draw is doing, and then work out how that affects their body language, their clothing, and the world they're inhabiting. Even standing still is an action of a sort.

CabbyHat

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2011, 10:41:43 AM »
In all cases I urge artists to never think in terms of "pose", but rather to think in terms of "performance" or "action". Think about what the character you draw is doing, and then work out how that affects their body language, their clothing, and the world they're inhabiting. Even standing still is an action of a sort.

That's some really good advice, thanks. (I know you're not talking to me but I'm going to go ahead and take it anyway. :P )

andygal

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2011, 10:53:06 AM »
I couldn't draw anything beyond kindergarten stick figures if my life depended on it myself, I bow before the awesome of those who can.

Inkthinker

• Level 11
  • Animation and Illustration
    • View Profile
    • inkthinker.deviantart.com
« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2011, 10:01:33 PM »

That's some really good advice, thanks. (I know you're not talking to me but I'm going to go ahead and take it anyway. :P )

It's not a particularly directed statement. Advice is cheap, people are welcome to make what they can make of it.  ;D

I couldn't draw anything beyond kindergarten stick figures if my life depended on it myself, I bow before the awesome of those who can.

Illustration is a craft, like building furniture. The basics are well-defined and can be learned, it's not magic.

I start most drawings with what is basically a stick figure. The trick is in knowing what to do next, but it's a trick anyone can learn.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 10:03:34 PM by Inkthinker »

Zlurpo

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2011, 03:54:28 AM »
With the shardbearer holding his sword behind his head and Kaladin just standing there with his knife there isn't much action to show.

Not sure how 'true to source' it is, but when I picture that scene I see the Shardbearer swinging is sword low (and in a slight crouch in order to do so) with Kaldadin jumping over the blade and thrusting is knife forward into the Shardbearer's eye.  Also I picture the knife in Kaldadin's left hand as he was holding a spear in his right, but again I don't know how true to source that is.  I would sketch something up for you, but (A) I am horrible with computer art and (B) my camera is on the fritz.  Also I don't partiuclarly like the idea of sharing my art with the whole world as I don't feel I am as good at it as most of my friends seem to think I am (though some of them are very good at it).

I read the scene about a dozen times, trying to figure out how to make it look.  I'm pretty sure that, in a technical sense, my drawing is completely accurate, except that Kaladin should have a helmet on.  However, just because everything I did is right, doesn't mean it couldn't be *more* right another way. 
"The Shardbearer brought his weapon around as Kaladin skidded to a stop and flung his arm to the side,slamming the spearhead right in the Shardbearer‘s visor slit." 
If he skidded to a stop, I'm assuming his feet are planted as he attacks.  The shardbearer hasn't yet swung, and is about to as he takes the spear point to the eye.  I don't remember any specifications of which hand he should be holding it with, I was just thinking that if he threw the knife right handed (may or may not be true) he would have had at least his right hand free to snag the falling spearhead.
However, although I'm happy with the technical details and perhaps the accuracy of the drawing, there's a lot I'd like to be better :/

MattL

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 01, 2011, 06:24:57 PM »
I have been visiting this site for a long time, and this is my first post. Im terrible at drawing action scenes unless I have something to kinda reference from. So here is my rendition of Dalinar in his unadorned Shardplate and Oathbringer just standing there. Let me know what you guys think. I tried to get it as accurate as I could and as close to what I had pictured it. Im working on a similar drawing of a parshendi warrior, I may post it soon.

Matt

CabbyHat

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 01, 2011, 07:18:57 PM »
Very cool! It's interesting to see how different artists have different takes on shardplate. I love this version; I have a weakness for bulky, elaborate armor designs even if I personally picture shardplate as being a little sleeker.

Argent

• Level 5
  • Lord
    • View Profile
    • Wowhead
« Reply #58 on: March 03, 2011, 03:47:49 PM »
The emblem on his shoulder looks a little copy-pasted and it seems to me that it doesn't follow the curves of the spaulder, but other than that it does look pretty solid. Nice job on the Blade dripping water :)
Power doesn't always have to corrupt. In many ways, it can change a man for the better.

MattL

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 03, 2011, 05:33:07 PM »
I agree with you about the glyph on shoulder,  I will see if I can make some changes on it. It has been a few years since I have drawn anything. Thanks for the comments.