Author Topic: Official WoK Fan Art (Here there be spoilers)  (Read 55682 times)

CabbyHat

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Official WoK Fan Art (Here there be spoilers)
« Reply #75 on: March 23, 2011, 03:49:32 AM »
Agreed, I think it really captures the feel of his fight scenes.
Just an idle comment. My comments are often idle. I can never get them to do any solid work.

Inkthinker

• Level 11
  • Animation and Illustration
    • View Profile
    • inkthinker.deviantart.com
« Reply #76 on: March 23, 2011, 04:41:57 AM »
I really like that angle, excellent concept! It captures well the description of Szeth's power and its use in combat.

If you're working with a wacom, my strongest advice is to sketch things out on separate Layers, and don't hesitate to be as messy as you need to be. If it doesn't look right, set up a new Layer and try again! One of the absolute greatest things about digital drawing is that it allows you to experiment without the consequences inherent in physical media... being messy doesn't have to ruin a page or take up space and deplete supplies anymore. Your only limitation is your ability to use the tools and your mastery of drawing skills.

I sketch a LOT when I compose anything now, and I believe my work is much better for it. It allows me to draw through shapes and work out anatomy and perspective challenges for as long as it takes to get it right, and only then do I need to commit to the lines.

SirZelig

• Level 3
  • I'm not crazy! It's you who is normal
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 23, 2011, 08:50:57 AM »
Well I don't have much of a artistic talent, but I do like to draw. This isn't finish yet, I might finish it someday. Anyways this is kinda what I picture in my head. What shardplate looks like. I am probably not even close.

"All because of you
I believe in angels.
Not the kind with wings,
no, not the kind with halos;
the kind that bring you home
when home becomes a strange place.
I'll follow your voice;
all you have to do is
shout it out!"
Rise Against- The Good Left Undone

CabbyHat

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 26, 2011, 05:52:36 PM »
Hey, looks fantastic to me. :) One of my favourite things about this thread is how many different takes on Shardplate everyone has. And the best thing is, who's to say you're not all right?
Just an idle comment. My comments are often idle. I can never get them to do any solid work.

Inkthinker

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 27, 2011, 08:19:48 AM »
The book is pretty clear on the subject, every suit of Shardplate is unique and no two look alike. The only rules are that it A)looks like plate armor and 2)is constructed ONLY of plates, no chain or leather or anything like that. At the joints the armor is made of smaller and smaller segments that interweave, passing around or across each other as joints flex and move. 

I like to start with a basis in historical types of plate armor (I like 14-16th century stuff, especially the Italian and German designs, 'cause that was about as good as it got before it started to fade out of fashion), and then I extrapolate from there into new ideas that are free of pesky concerns like weight or practical manufacturing. Figuring out the joints is the tricky part, but check out lamellar armor, laminar armor and  scale armor to see some ways in which plates can interact. Then imagine the plates can be as small as you like, and you don't need to explain how they hold together, and let your imagination start to fill in the spaces.

Because of its organic nature, I imagine most of the inner joints in Shardplate being comprised of scales surrounded by banded plates that merge into solid plates in the traditional places.

DomainWalker

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 29, 2011, 04:41:20 PM »
Hello all,

This is my first post…. And I must say I have seen some amazing art work on here. I would like to post a scene I am currently working on of the shattered plains. I would like to get some feedback and also make sure I am being true to the book. After I finish the terrain I plan on adding bridges, rock buds, chulls and hopefully a shard bearer.
I do have a question for the group, is the shattered plains flat or does it have some peaks and such within it. The book cover depicts variations in the height but from my understanding from the book the area is flat and shattered. Any help or guidance would be much appreciated.
Thanks
DomainWalker

Inkthinker

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 29, 2011, 05:19:05 PM »
That photo is pretty close to how I imagined it (though remember that there's an issue of scale here, the chasms of the Plains are usually about 15-20 feet wide, not 50-100 feet as those in the photo appear to be), but I know there must be some height variation in the plateaus because Brandon describes them pushing the bridges across from higher to lower rims, and of course at some point we have the Tower.

I would say it's not quite as jagged and tilted as Whelan's cover, but not as flat as that photo reference... split the difference, and remember that they are the "shattered" "plains"... both words are operative descriptors, so while it's broad and flat(tish) the land is cracked and split...  Brandon's original vision was of a broken dinner plate, if I recall correctly.

I would think that the breaks are more jagged, not so much the smooth and rounded curves that they are in natural formations carved by water.  The Highstorms create flashfloods that do carve out the chasms somewhat more, but they do so violently rather than slowly over millenia. So again, somewhere split between smoothly carved canyons and jagged, shattered crockery.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 05:21:10 PM by Inkthinker »

Juan Dolor

• Level 5
    • View Profile
    • stupid LiveJournal thing
« Reply #82 on: March 29, 2011, 05:28:28 PM »
Where is that a photo of?

DomainWalker

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 29, 2011, 07:30:21 PM »
thanks for the detailed reply, i am going back to the drawing board so to speak. i may start over and try a different design. what about the colors of the landscape do they look right?

DomainWalker

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 29, 2011, 07:32:43 PM »
i created the photo in VUE and will move it over to Maya when i get the terrain right. i will also be using mudbox for the texturing of some of the items that i will place in the scene

Argent

• Level 5
  • Lord
    • View Profile
    • Wowhead
« Reply #85 on: March 29, 2011, 10:15:54 PM »
Ink's response was very much what I was going to mention as well. My only addition is that the plateaus seem a little too much like a grid - little variance in size and shape. This may be an illusion created by the fact that the two plateaus that are the focus of the entire image look to be about the same size though.

Just something to think about :)

P.S. Toss a Highstorm somewhere in the background, for additional badass :)
Power doesn't always have to corrupt. In many ways, it can change a man for the better.

Inkthinker

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 29, 2011, 10:25:04 PM »
3D then, very neat!

Well you're on the right track. Less of a perfectly flat, even plane along the top, give each plateau a bit of slant or some variation to the terrain. Throw a few hillocks or some rock bluffs in there.

Not sure about the color... maybe a bit lighter? And would it be possible to make the chasms a little closer together then? I presume this is procedurally generated, but I don't know what levels of control you have over the handles.

DomainWalker

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 29, 2011, 10:37:21 PM »
i am currently trying to take a shattered glass image and sculpt that in mudbox for the terrain. trying to find that balance as mentioned above :)
i do plan on adding a highstorm if i can just get this terrain right

DomainWalker

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 30, 2011, 03:17:55 PM »
here is a base mesh for my shattered plains. it is not textured but i think i have the details correct. the chasms are on average 20 units across and anywhere from 15 to 30 units deep.

i think i am on the right path now, just need to decide on color and texture
comments and suggestions are very much welcomed

Inkthinker

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 30, 2011, 08:39:15 PM »
Would you mind if I did a drawover on this render? It'd be easier than trying to explain where I think you should make changes.

Off hand though, I wouldn't have every plateau sink in the center with the raised lip... it's more about them being flat along the top (but not smoothly flat) and having some elevation variances above the base level that allow some bluffs to be higher than the ones on the opposite side.

I think the widths of the chasms are good, but the depths could be deeper. The plateaus themselves could be larger as well.