Author Topic: Official WoK Fan Art (Here there be spoilers)  (Read 55676 times)

Inkthinker

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Animation and Illustration
    • View Profile
    • inkthinker.deviantart.com
Re: Official WoK Fan Art (Here there be spoilers)
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2010, 07:39:12 AM »
I wasn't aware Szeth wore a mask... at any rate, I did not draw him with one. I do think of his skin as being pale, but I can't remember what the book says about that.

ehyde

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2010, 09:05:18 AM »
I think you're right about that, it does say that the Shin are more pale than the Alethi, at the top of page 306.

atlas689

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2010, 03:20:54 AM »
Finished:

Now Ink has to draw Dalinar and Wit ^.^

Nightfire107

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2010, 07:52:40 AM »
the stick man pic was seen by a guy in my dorm on 4chan. he saw the stickman pic on my labtop and wanted to know how i got it. lol
"We're Bridge Four, we've been around. We've liven in the crem and been used as bait. If it helps you survive, it's good. That's all that needs to be said about it."

Zlurpo

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2010, 02:35:09 PM »
So as a person of no artistic talent i was hoping someone might create a couple scenes from WoK that i found cool. The first is the scene when Kaladin jumps the bridge as it is being pushed across the gap that leads to dalinar. The second scene is the one in which kaladin kills the shardbearer in the flashback.

I started working on that second scene a while ago.  I liked what I did of Kaladin, but hated my drawing of the shardplate armor.  I didn't take enough time on it and it looked terrible.  So I'll probly finish Kaladin and post that part, then start over with the whole thing to make it look better.  But I really want to do that scene!

ryos

• Level 17
  • The Decemberween Thnikkaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2010, 06:43:43 PM »
the stick man pic was seen by a guy in my dorm on 4chan. he saw the stickman pic on my labtop and wanted to know how i got it. lol

Wait. My silly stick figure drawing is on 4chan?? What's the smily for "pure mortification"?  Something like all of these mixed together: :-[  :-\  :(  >:(  :-X
Eerongal made off with my Fluffy Puff confections.

Zlurpo

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2010, 07:16:16 PM »
Finished:

Now Ink has to draw Dalinar and Wit ^.^

I like it, although 2 thing come to mind:
If this is Szeth in the beginning chapter, 1. he's wearing all white, 2. with a simple rope tied as a belt.  If it's just him another time, then I have no qualms and I think it's awesome.

Drawing Wit comes with a certain level of responsibility-  Keep in mind that Wit/Hoid appears all over Sanderson's works!

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2010, 07:04:10 AM »
Yeah, I also have to wonder what it's doing on 4chan.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2010, 04:54:03 PM »

<=== Doesn't spend multiple hours a week on 4chan. *feigns innocence.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

ryos

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2010, 06:27:14 AM »
*acusing glare at Miyabi*

Zlurpo

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2010, 08:08:08 AM »
My first Way of Kings art:

I'm not perfectly happy with it, but close enough!
Shardplate is a beast to draw, and I can't say I think I'm really that great at it, since I rarely if ever draw plate armor.

There are a couple other things I'm not thrilled with either, but I think I got it pretty much how I wanted.  So there it is!

CabbyHat

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2010, 12:15:48 AM »
The shardplate looks fantastic. That's almost exactly how I pictured it - the intricate arrangement of small plates covering areas that are usually covered by chain. My only complaint is that the poses are a little stiff, and the overall composition feels kind of static, but the armor looks so great that I'm not inclined to complain too much. :)
Just an idle comment. My comments are often idle. I can never get them to do any solid work.

Zlurpo

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2010, 04:54:39 AM »
The shardplate looks fantastic. That's almost exactly how I pictured it - the intricate arrangement of small plates covering areas that are usually covered by chain. My only complaint is that the poses are a little stiff, and the overall composition feels kind of static, but the armor looks so great that I'm not inclined to complain too much. :)

"There are a couple other things I'm not thrilled with..."  you nailed the main one!  I need to work on adding motion.  I don't really have more ideas, I tried to make them as move-y as I could, but I've struggled for years with that. 

Does anyone have any good advice on how to add more motion into my work?  On all of it?

ryos

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2010, 05:12:48 AM »

"There are a couple other things I'm not thrilled with..."  you nailed the main one!  I need to work on adding motion.  I don't really have more ideas, I tried to make them as move-y as I could, but I've struggled for years with that. 

Does anyone have any good advice on how to add more motion into my work?  On all of it?

Rather than me try and give you advice on art (you can see the extent of my artistic skills at the start of this thread), I figured I'd just link you to some examples from a comic I recently started reading (Gunnerkrigg Court) which I consider excellent depictions of action/motion:

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=636
http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=692
http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=781

It must be hard to do, because not very many comics I've seen do it well. I don't know what it is about these examples that evokes motion so well, but I link them in the hopes that analyzing them helps.

(BTW, it's a great comic in general. Highly recommended. :))

Inkthinker

• Level 11
  • Animation and Illustration
    • View Profile
    • inkthinker.deviantart.com
« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2010, 09:46:36 AM »
Part of it involves moving towards the idea of examining the actions that a character is performing and imagining it fully in your mind, then translating that onto the page or canvas in a series of steps. There's a plethora of techniques for illustrating a sense of movement or impact or general force (most of them involve hatch work. Japanese techniques are, I think, generally accepted as the most effective, but it's a lot more complicated than "speed lines").

You'll need to understand not just where the action is in the moment that you choose to illustrate, but also where it came from and possibly where it means to go. That way you can add secondary movement and choose where to direct the focus of the composition.

Good motion, like most things in illustration, come along with practice, and the techniques are easier to practice when you've got strong underlying structure to base them on. Perspective practice will help you set your characters in a physical environment, and in doing so you'll get a stronger sense of how the character has/is/will move around.  Composition practice will help you frame the action most effectively.

I hope some of that made sense, anyway...  ;D