Author Topic: Official WoK Fan Art (Here there be spoilers)  (Read 55688 times)

rjl

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: WoK Fan Art (Here there be spoilers)
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2010, 12:05:49 AM »
I made this of Kaladin jumping the chasm in my sketchbook last week.

[img]http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk78/NeverEarth/kaladinchasm.jpg[ img]

I need to have a weapon or something sticking out on the Parshendi side, so it doesn't look like Kaladin's jumping in to join a happy gathering.  My stormlight needs work too.
I like it, I like it a lot, but I agree on the stormlight needing work, and I think it would be better if slightly mroe was shown, i.e. a bit more of what he's jumped from and a bit more of what he's jumping to.

ehyde

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2010, 03:57:45 AM »
2) I realized that it's a really spoilery scene if you were to see that illustration, and then read the novel... you'd be constantly waiting for a spearman (and it wouldn't take long to realize that it's Kaladin either) to leap a chasm into an opposing army and suck up stormlight, and the moment in which that happens is so much more powerful if you don't see it coming.

You're right Inkthinker, that's just what happened ... could we get a spoiler warning put in this thread title? (yes, I should have realized that there might be spoilers present, but I was looking for Mistborn fanart and not thinking about WoK).

But I have now finished WoK and would *love* to see a finished picture of that scene!

edited to say, no harm done and no hard feelings, it just seems like a spoiler warning might be helpful to others. Sorry if any of this sounded like an accusation because I really didn't mean it that way.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 07:33:48 AM by ehyde »

Inkthinker

• Level 11
  • Animation and Illustration
    • View Profile
    • inkthinker.deviantart.com
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2010, 09:08:57 AM »
AAUGH!!

See? Like that! That's what I'm talking about.

I'm awful sorry about that ehyde, I figured the boards are so incredibly spoilery right now that nobody would be browsing these threads who was spoiler-sensitive. I hope it didn't wreck the book too much... I still enjoy reading a book even when I know something is coming, because I like seeing how it plays out (sort of how a scene in a trailer might spoil you a bit, but it's not the same as watching the movie), but I do hate when it happens just the same, and I have some friends who get downright furious about 'em.

I don't know that a spoiler tag would help, unless there's a way to hide the image?

Wolfstar

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2010, 02:41:55 PM »
Perhaps lifting the moratorium on creating new fan-art threads would be a possibility?  If each recent release got its own thread until the next release, we could cut down on spoil'd stuff for people.  Then I imagine the threads could be integrated into the main art thread after it is no longer "current".
You can think without acting and you can act without thinking... but which is worse?

ehyde

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2010, 03:49:41 PM »
AAUGH!!

See? Like that! That's what I'm talking about.

I'm awful sorry about that ehyde, I figured the boards are so incredibly spoilery right now that nobody would be browsing these threads who was spoiler-sensitive. I hope it didn't wreck the book too much... I still enjoy reading a book even when I know something is coming, because I like seeing how it plays out (sort of how a scene in a trailer might spoil you a bit, but it's not the same as watching the movie), but I do hate when it happens just the same, and I have some friends who get downright furious about 'em.

I don't know that a spoiler tag would help, unless there's a way to hide the image?

Don't worry about it, it's my fault really. And I think,  even without knowing about that scene specifically, I'd have been able to guess that something awesome was about to happen.

Brenna

• Level 14
  • Hey! Where'd the world go?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2010, 08:43:30 PM »
I'd be happy to split off all the WoK artwork into a separate thread for a while, then merge it back with this one, if that's what people would like. How long do you think it's reasonable to keep them separate, though? A month or two?

Or I can just put "Spoilers" in the title for a while, and take that off after a while.

Either way, I don't have time to do that until later this evening (kids are just waking up from their naps). So let me know what you'd like, and I'll get to it tonight.

Edit: Topics split! Enjoy. :)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 12:35:35 PM by Brenna »

ehyde

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2010, 06:06:51 AM »
I like the idea of a separate thread for WoK fanart. It's not really an issue for me anymore as I've now read WoK, but I can imagine there might be others who haven't yet but would still want to look at old fanart. Although as inkthinker said, the whole forum is kind of dangerous right now for anyone who hasn't read the book.

Erunion

• Level 3
    • View Profile
Re: Official WoK Fan Art (Here there be spoilers)
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2010, 05:29:23 PM »
Good idea on the separation.

Also, back to our earlier discussion Inkthinker, I've just been rereading WOK's, and it turns out that the Parshendi do use spears, and at least once the used a spearwall. When Dalinar charged out to save Sadeas, a group of Parshendi stopped and braced spears into the ground to prevent his charge. He commented on how this was a brand new tactic from them, that they were finally learning how to face cavalry charges.
So yeah, while pikes are a bit of a stretch, a spearwall is actually accurate!

Wolfstar

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2010, 06:34:14 PM »
Swift!  Glad I could help out, not that it couldn't have been thought of by someone else.
You can think without acting and you can act without thinking... but which is worse?

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2010, 03:14:38 AM »

Ink, I think there is a spoiler tag of some sort that just hides unless you quote you can see the text, but I'm not sure.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Never

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2010, 05:14:05 PM »
That what you had in mind? :P

I see you remembered that only half of them have beards.

atlas689

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2010, 06:07:46 AM »
I'm in the process of working on a Szeth piece. It is highly based off of Inkthinker's drawing of him (though I took a few liberties with the coloring and the sword).   ;D

Inkthinker

• Level 11
  • Animation and Illustration
    • View Profile
    • inkthinker.deviantart.com
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2010, 07:46:10 AM »
Bear in mind though that he is The Assassin in White. I felt I was already cheating by making his belt a dark color. I think that "white" can encompass off-white tones (and should), which ranges toward yellow or tan in some fabrics (linen), but I'd stop before taking it too far into the khaki range.

Normally I think color is free for interpretation, but in this case the text makes a specific point of stating that he wore all white clothing. Although I guess you could say this is a version of Szeth from after the assassination of Gavilar? In which case heck, take it further into some darker colors.

The convergence of cloth around the thigh has a tangent that's throwing off the form between his knees, but I am SO glad you smoothed out the arc of the strip that flaps out from his waist. In mine it's got a stupid kink that makes it look as if it's caught on something, and I can't for my life figure out how I didn't notice it until about two months ago.

This would make a nice avatar icon!

schmiddynick

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2010, 02:23:36 PM »
so i was wondering if there was anyone with some artistic abilities (unlike myself) who could do a sketch of what the parshendi look like? the description of them having red and black skin and the carapace armor. it just sounded so awesome!

atlas689

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2010, 05:30:32 AM »
Thanks for the CC Ink. Here is the progress on the piece:

I can't tell from the coloring if you made the face as skin or as his mask. Pray tell?