Author Topic: Official WoK Fan Art (Here there be spoilers)  (Read 55673 times)

Nightfire107

• Level 4
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Official WoK Fan Art (Here there be spoilers)
« on: September 11, 2010, 10:07:43 PM »
So as a person of no artistic talent i was hoping someone might create a couple scenes from WoK that i found cool. The first is the scene when Kaladin jumps the bridge as it is being pushed across the gap that leads to dalinar. The second scene is the one in which kaladin kills the shardbearer in the flashback.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 02:29:03 PM by Brenna »
"We're Bridge Four, we've been around. We've liven in the crem and been used as bait. If it helps you survive, it's good. That's all that needs to be said about it."

ryos

• Level 17
  • The Decemberween Thnikkaman
    • View Profile
Re: WoK Fan Art (Here there be spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 12:15:36 AM »
So as a person of no artistic talent i was hoping someone might create a couple scenes from WoK that i found cool. The first is the scene when Kaladin jumps the bridge as it is being pushed across the gap that leads to dalinar. The second scene is the one in which kaladin kills the shardbearer in the flashback.

Scene 1:

That what you had in mind? :P
Eerongal made off with my Fluffy Puff confections.

Nightfire107

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 08:40:45 AM »
okay i stand corrected. You have taught me a valuble and hilarious lesson concerning art. I had hoped in the vein of the drawing depicting the end of HoA but this is good too.
"We're Bridge Four, we've been around. We've liven in the crem and been used as bait. If it helps you survive, it's good. That's all that needs to be said about it."

Castleguard

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 08:49:33 AM »
Nicely done. I like the pic. I would say since its not been long since the Way of Kings has been officially released you wont get any really cool pics for a while. Takes time to make good art. Any way I look forward to seeing what people come up with. I am certain that there will be a good amount sooner or latter.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 08:57:30 AM »
Hilarious.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Nightfire107

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 09:01:22 AM »
It captures the specifics of the scene quite well actually. Thank you very much Ryos you just made my day. This is now the background for my labtop.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 09:04:36 AM by Nightfire107 »

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010, 11:48:52 PM »

Ryos, my love for you has jsut grown at least ten fold.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Inkthinker

• Level 11
  • Animation and Illustration
    • View Profile
    • inkthinker.deviantart.com
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2010, 03:05:16 AM »
A while back I started a rough painting of Kaladin's leap... funny enough, the composition looks a lot like that. Great minds think alike, obviously.

I stopped working on it because A) stuff came up and, more importantly, 2) I realized that it's a really spoilery scene if you were to see that illustration, and then read the novel... you'd be constantly waiting for a spearman (and it wouldn't take long to realize that it's Kaladin either) to leap a chasm into an opposing army and suck up stormlight, and the moment in which that happens is so much more powerful if you don't see it coming.

So it's down in the stacks now. I've got a couple other images from the book I think I'd like to address before I ever get back to this one (for instance, Dalinar's duel at the Tower, or even just the battle that leads up to that).

SnagglezMaw

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2010, 01:13:25 AM »
A while back I started a rough painting of Kaladin's leap... funny enough, the composition looks a lot like that. Great minds think alike, obviously.

I stopped working on it because A) stuff came up and, more importantly, 2) I realized that it's a really spoilery scene if you were to see that illustration, and then read the novel... you'd be constantly waiting for a spearman (and it wouldn't take long to realize that it's Kaladin either) to leap a chasm into an opposing army and suck up stormlight, and the moment in which that happens is so much more powerful if you don't see it coming.

So it's down in the stacks now. I've got a couple other images from the book I think I'd like to address before I ever get back to this one (for instance, Dalinar's duel at the Tower, or even just the battle that leads up to that).
While not up to par with Ryos', I'd love to see the finished product.

Erunion

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2010, 08:20:38 PM »
Very nice Inkthinker,  :o  I'd love to see the finished work!

Do keep in mind though that the Parshendi use axes, swords maces and the like, but I've never heard of them using longspears or pikes. Those types of weapons don't suit the Parshendi's two-man teams and warrior ethos, but are effective in the Alethi's more disciplined supportive armies. (Not sure if the Parshendi use shortspears, either)

atlas689

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2010, 03:30:45 AM »
I did a small little pixel art of Kaladin in some Shardplate. I know that he doesnt have any Plate yet, but its bound to happen!  :P

Inkthinker

• Level 11
  • Animation and Illustration
    • View Profile
    • inkthinker.deviantart.com
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2010, 04:24:45 AM »
So CUTE! Can we see a bigger version?

One of the design mandates on Shardplate is that it completely cover the body, so if there's a cloth component it must be covering a plate beneath. At the joints where normal armor requires you to go to leather or chain or something like that, Shardplate just has finer plates that slide or overlap along each other in various clever ways.

Do keep in mind though that the Parshendi use axes, swords maces and the like, but I've never heard of them using longspears or pikes. Those types of weapons don't suit the Parshendi's two-man teams and warrior ethos, but are effective in the Alethi's more disciplined supportive armies. (Not sure if the Parshendi use shortspears, either)

Yeah, that's another reason I dropped it... I liked the visual of Kaladin leaping onto a pike wall, but it doesn't match the text and that makes it wrong, wrong, wrong. I make up stuff all the time, but I try to never directly contradict the text just because I think it'll make a cool picture... that way lies chaos (and bad designs).

rjl

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2010, 09:47:27 PM »
I did a small little pixel art of Kaladin in some Shardplate. I know that he doesnt have any Plate yet, but its bound to happen!  :P

[img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a189/atlasshrugged689/my%20microes/transparent/KaladinStormblessed_atl.png[img]
Nice, but not that precise, as in should be plates all over, and a helmet as opposed to a cloth hat.

neverearth

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2010, 04:55:19 AM »
I made this of Kaladin jumping the chasm in my sketchbook last week.

I need to have a weapon or something sticking out on the Parshendi side, so it doesn't look like Kaladin's jumping in to join a happy gathering.  My stormlight needs work too.

Erunion

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2010, 07:22:02 AM »
So CUTE! Can we see a bigger version?

One of the design mandates on Shardplate is that it completely cover the body, so if there's a cloth component it must be covering a plate beneath. At the joints where normal armor requires you to go to leather or chain or something like that, Shardplate just has finer plates that slide or overlap along each other in various clever ways.

Yeah, that's another reason I dropped it... I liked the visual of Kaladin leaping onto a pike wall, but it doesn't match the text and that makes it wrong, wrong, wrong. I make up stuff all the time, but I try to never directly contradict the text just because I think it'll make a cool picture... that way lies chaos (and bad designs).

Hmmm, I really like the feel of the picture, and I'd like to see you complete it (or something much like it.)
Perhaps you could lower Kaladin slightly, and have him just cresting an axe-swing? That would be both epic and accurate!  8)